• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Furby is a poorly bun

Thanks - that does make perfect sense when well written. This is exactly what it's being used for in both our cases. The rabbits are still eating well but just not emptying the lower gut - full up but not blocked, just very, very sluggish. It does seem to be working and in both cases we are also administering Meloxidyl for pain relief (as directed by the vet).

I wonder if your vet would consider Domperidone to help? Seems to be the latest caecal emptier/low gut stimulant with the exotic vets at the moment. Obviously no personal experience! But Thumps of course is receiving it daily, for different reasons but I think there are a few other members (FHB patients) also having it at the moment. Not sure if it is last resort medicine or routine :?

Thank you lots everyone. I so appreciate your support. I live on my own and nursing a sick fur baby can sometimes seem overwhelming. A friend has just 'phoned to see how Furby is doing which was great - but he knows nothing about bunnies so can't give me any advice or suggestions.

I am just leaving Furby for now and will check on him later. He isn't a cuddle bun so I don't want to stress him out. I am just hoping he will have eaten some more when I go outside later.

I will mention the Zantac to my vet and also pain relief. He was sitting hunched up this morning but isn't any longer. He did seem brighter after seeing the vet - don't know if it was one of the injections or the fluids he was given.

I've only just decided it is time to look for a wife for Furby but am now worried in case bonding him causes him to stop eating again. I'd hate him to spend the rest of his life on his own but once he gets over this (as I pray he will) I will be wary of doing anything to unsettle him.

This was always our concern with Nino before we bonded him, he was getting bloat and stasis from minimal stress triggers.... bonding him was a risk for that of course, it would be naive to think it doesn't put a bit of a strain on the immune system, BUT the benefits have really outweighed the risks. Having a partner bun reduced the stress triggers immensely and I really think for a stressy bun with poor eyesight (is that right?) and nervous around people it could do him the world of good. When he is better and over this of course. For Poppy, Nino's wife bun, it did her no end of good. She was a stressy, terrified of people bun too, he brought her right out of her shell and gave her lots of confidence. I think when the time is right it's a lovely idea for Furby. :D

Thank you lots everyone. I so appreciate your support. I live on my own and nursing a sick fur baby can sometimes seem overwhelming. A friend has just 'phoned to see how Furby is doing which was great - but he knows nothing about bunnies so can't give me any advice or suggestions.

I am just leaving Furby for now and will check on him later. He isn't a cuddle bun so I don't want to stress him out. I am just hoping he will have eaten some more when I go outside later.

I will mention the Zantac to my vet and also pain relief. He was sitting hunched up this morning but isn't any longer. He did seem brighter after seeing the vet - don't know if it was one of the injections or the fluids he was given.

I've only just decided it is time to look for a wife for Furby but am now worried in case bonding him causes him to stop eating again. I'd hate him to spend the rest of his life on his own but once he gets over this (as I pray he will) I will be wary of doing anything to unsettle him.

I'd not worry about that. I am sure that when the time is right he'll have a friend and there are ways and means of sorting that out the least stressful way possible. It'll all work out - keep the faith Karen.

I wonder if your vet would consider Domperidone to help? Seems to be the latest caecal emptier/low gut stimulant with the exotic vets at the moment. Obviously no personal experience! But Thumps of course is receiving it daily, for different reasons but I think there are a few other members (FHB patients) also having it at the moment. Not sure if it is last resort medicine or routine :?

It'll be worth asking Ivan tomorrow when I see him. Problem is one bun (Noah has suffered very, very rapid weight loss too so we have to look at other causes whilst treating the results. Netty has to have a dental asap so we know that this is the underlying of the lack of fibre, but is there more to her than that? I shall ask.

This was always our concern with Nino before we bonded him, he was getting bloat and stasis from minimal stress triggers.... bonding him was a risk for that of course, it would be naive to think it doesn't put a bit of a strain on the immune system, BUT the benefits have really outweighed the risks. Having a partner bun reduced the stress triggers immensely and I really think for a stressy bun with poor eyesight (is that right?) and nervous around people it could do him the world of good. When he is better and over this of course. For Poppy, Nino's wife bun, it did her no end of good. She was a stressy, terrified of people bun too, he brought her right out of her shell and gave her lots of confidence. I think when the time is right it's a lovely idea for Furby. :D

Absolutely agree - when you and he are ready.

Furby is deaf PL - so I think it's even more important he has a companion.

I did put a thread up about my options for bonding him in the bonding part of RU as I can't decide on the best way to do it ie with an existing group of three or rehoming another bun.

I was fairly confident about bonding per se - managed a group of six once - but am now feeling a lot more nervous about it.

I'll have a long think once Furby is fully recovered. Seeing how George changed after I bonded him with Gemma has really reinforced for me that buns are generally much happier with a friend.

Am off outside to check on him now. Sending a prayer to the Patron Saint of Bunnies that he has nommed some more food.

Furby is deaf PL - so I think it's even more important he has a companion.

I did put a thread up about my options for bonding him in the bonding part of RU as I can't decide on the best way to do it ie with an existing group of three or rehoming another bun.

I was fairly confident about bonding per se - managed a group of six once - but am now feeling a lot more nervous about it.

I'll have a long think once Furby is fully recovered. Seeing how George changed after I bonded him with Gemma has really reinforced for me that buns are generally much happier with a friend.

Am off outside to check on him now. Sending a prayer to the Patron Saint of Bunnies that he has nommed some more food.

Always happy to help with bonding too!

Thanks Helen. I've got to find him a wife first - which I don't think will be that easy as I want a young bun (have two 'mature' buns and an elderly bun) so I can watch her develop and grow up. Furby is quite young so I am hoping if I find him a younger wife they can grow old together.:love:

He doesn't seem to have eaten any more but I picked some strawberry leaves and he is eating them. Am just heating a snugglesafe to put in his hutch under his blankie and will pop him in the sleeping part of his hutch and hope he stays there nice and snuggled.

Will check on him again in an hour. Have just gone to make some Horlicks and found some bunny paste at the bottom of the mug:) I knew it went everywhere but into Furby:)

We are the 1st. to use Domeperidone in the South West. It hasn't been used much for buns before & the doseage isn't worked out yet. FHB has been using it for a bit longer up in Yorkshire.

I most strongly recommend Blackthorn/Sloe leaves, which we have used for 3 years. I recently established from a holistic vet that they are bunny safe. They are both gut motility agents AND help to stabilize the caecal micro organisms. Some buns become colonized by toxin producing bacteria which cause further gut paralysis.
They are a useful addition to ranitidine.
However experience has taught me that they are at their most effective now.
I have now gathered & dried over 2,000 twigs of leaves to take us through the next 12 months.

I will tentatively say I think Furby is a bit better.

I gave him a snugglesafe wrapped in his blankie last night and put him on it to show him how lovely and warm it was but when I went to check on him about 1.00 am he was in the cold part of his hutch. Furby was there this morning - so I guess he wasn't impressed!!

He had eaten a little overnight. I gave him his breakfast and when I went to take him to the vet he had turned his bowl over (as he usually does) and had picked out the bread and spring greens:D I gave him some strawberry leaf and he ate that - but my plant is almost bare now.

Have just got back from the vet where he had another anti-biotic injection and I have been given two more to give him myself over the next couple of days. Have been advised to try and get some of the paste in him - not an easy task but I will have a go later when I get in from work.

Furby started digging his blankie on the way to the vet and tried to kick us when he was there - which is a good sign. He is also pooping - small dark droppings - but it shows something is working:)

The vet said to give him what he will eat at the moment so I have just given him some more pear, bread and spring greens. The bread is wholemeal with oats in and he loves it (I guess he knows it's a treat!!)

The bill was £120 which wasn't too bad I guess but I am going to have to postpone Pippa's spay until the end of next month as five buns' myxi are due next month too. I hadn't budgeted for taking on a stray kitten - shouldn't let my heart rule my head:oops:

Thank you for asking about Furby. I am cautiously optimistic.

Am pleased to hear that Furby is improving, even if only slightly at the moment. sounds like you doing everything you can at the moment, hopefully he will have a more active output later and start eating more.

I am at work at the moment (but have sneaked on RU to check up on how the buns are doing).

Gave Furby his antibiotic injection this morning. He was a Very Brave Bunny!! He had eaten some of his supper too. Gave him his breakfast and he nommed some spring greens. Before I went to work I fed him supper and he was tucking into dandelion leaves as I left.

He still hasn't been down his ramp into his run though :( Not sure why.

I just hope he will be his usual self tomorrow after I give him his last injection.

Sorry, i have only just seen this. Glad Furby is heading in the right direction :)

I was wondering how he was getting on, as all 4 of our remaining lymington bunnies have problems. Babs has taken a turn for the worst in recent days. Her pasturella infection has returned and she has started falling on her side :( Thankfully she is with Geoff now for company as it doesn;t seem like we will be able to get her neutered.

Sending more vibes for Furby xx

I worked most of last night so only worked this morning and have the rest of the day off so I've put Furby in his run. He is bouncing around happily so I don't know why he has stopped going down the ramp himself.

He still isn't eating as much as I would like but he is eating and producing poops. I think I need to go and find some sloe leaves and see if they will help (after reading another thread).

I do think he is lonely and a wifebun will give him a boost.

Sorry about the other Lymington buns. I've been wondering how they were doing but have lost track of where they all went to. I know Helen has some. They are all such beautiful buns too - such a shame. I just wonder how many other buns are being kept like that and becoming ill - but I try not to dwell on it as I get depressed. I just wish I could do more - but, sadly, my overdraft now has an overdraft:(

I can manage one more though - as Furby deserves a wife of his own:)

I worked most of last night so only worked this morning and have the rest of the day off so I've put Furby in his run. He is bouncing around happily so I don't know why he has stopped going down the ramp himself.

He still isn't eating as much as I would like but he is eating and producing poops. I think I need to go and find some sloe leaves and see if they will help (after reading another thread).

I do think he is lonely and a wifebun will give him a boost.

Sorry about the other Lymington buns. I've been wondering how they were doing but have lost track of where they all went to. I know Helen has some. They are all such beautiful buns too - such a shame. I just wonder how many other buns are being kept like that and becoming ill - but I try not to dwell on it as I get depressed. I just wish I could do more - but, sadly, my overdraft now has an overdraft:(

I can manage one more though - as Furby deserves a wife of his own:)

I'm so pleased that your Furby is showing signs of improvement:D I just wanted to comment that my old bridge bun, Daisy had a funny do like that and it was really strange but she had been in a hutch with a ramp and run for well over 6 years and after that episode she would never use the ramp again - I have absolutely no idea why (she lived for nearly another 4 years!). I hope your bun will take to his ramp again - but you know how funny they can be;) In the end, she and her partner Sammy became house rabbits because I couldn't bear her to sit in her hutch all day:roll:

Back