• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Full time workers with house bunnies....

is it safe to leave a fan running for 9 hours when noone is home though ??

It's a fan! :D The motor blows air over itself - so it stays cool! :wave:

My OH says that they used to leave a normal domestic fan running 24/7 over their server units at the office in a very hot room in summer. It was him who explained to me how they worked and applied this to cooling buns and air.... he builds computers... so he does know his stuff promise :)

It's a fan! :D The motor blows air over itself - so it stays cool! :wave:

My OH says that they used to leave a normal domestic fan running 24/7 over their server units at the office in a very hot room in summer. It was him who explained to me how they worked and applied this to cooling buns and air.... he builds computers... so he does know his stuff promise :)

do you ocsilate your fans or leave them pointing in one direction?

is it safe to leave a fan running for 9 hours when noone is home though ??

I suppose there are differing opinions on this but I'm not comfortable with leaving electric motors running when I'm out for fear of burning out. A safer way could be to plug into an overload plug which switches off the power instantly if a problem occurs. Our whole house is covered by this electrical safety at the power box.

I might be over cautious but the house next door burned down a couple of years ago because a spotlight overheated.:shock:

do you ocsilate your fans or leave them pointing in one direction?

Erm... if i'm out I leave them oscillating where they can not put bun in a direct breeze all day as someone else has said on another thread it can lead to bun getting too cold and ill.
If i'm there I direct them over bun whilst they are cooling down from running around the garden madly on a very hot day, and then I switch it off once they stop panting. :)

I have some ceramic floor tiles which seem to stay cool and use ice pods, luckily my flat stays pretty cool if I leave the blinds down

I suppose there are differing opinions on this but I'm not comfortable with leaving electric motors running when I'm out for fear of burning out. A safer way could be to plug into an overload plug which switches off the power instantly if a problem occurs. Our whole house is covered by this electrical safety at the power box.

I might be over cautious but the house next door burned down a couple of years ago because a spotlight overheated.:shock:

Sounds like a 'trip' system which we all have here too. :wave:

Spotlights - esp Halogen ones get up to hundreds of degrees. Motors on domestic fans don't get anything like that hot - esp with the fan blowing over them constantly. The only risk is something jamming it - which if you are careful is highly unlikely.

Luckily my house is really cold anyway, also the buns are not in direct line with any windows, but i do keep the blinds closed as well. I am worried about the outdoor buns, I have been going out every hour or so with fresh cold water for them, I have ordered ice pods as well.

My room has a ceiling fan so I'm putting that on today. The lionheads room we block the doorway at the bottom so I can open the door and get some air moving.

Last edited:
Im going to buy a tile thing that they can lie on/near.
Last year they also had a wet towel draped over their hutch with a fan directed at them. I have both my windows open but one curtain shut (the curtain nearest to them so they dont have too much of a draft and the sun isn't completey directed at them) and they also had a frozen water bottle which they didnt lie near but ate it instead :roll::lol:

I keep all the curtains shut and have some bottles of water in the freezer ready. We had cavity wall insulation done the other year and even though it keeps us warm in the winter, it has a cooling effect in the summer.
there doesn't seem to be any breeze at all today though (even though I;ve got every window open in the house!!).

another idea...could you have a few different areas where the buns could get water from (i.e. if they drink from a bowl have a few bowls available rather than just1 or have a couple of water bottles available for them to drink....mind you saying that my pair didn't drink anything at all during the day yesterday and then when I came down this morning they had an empty water bowl!!!)

xx

I have a ceiling fan going, I leave the curtains closed during the day and freeze squash bottles and put them in towels.

Back