• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fruit Juices

Not sure I'll like it but will try! I might have a sachet of ovaltine somewhere (A freebie when pregnant) which I never drank! I'll dig it out and try it!

Gotta be the chocolate one.....mix the powder with a little milk...then boiling water.Yummy!!!

But do you really not feed your rabbit anything outside of the "wild diet", even if it were perfectly safe to give?

I don't.

I might be dead strict but I seem to have happy healthy bunnies with no teeth or gut issues as a result. (famous last words probably). I wouldn't condemn others who do. I personally don't ever give fruit juice unless it's to give meds or help in a stasis situation.

Helen

I don't.

I might be dead strict but I seem to have happy healthy bunnies with not teeth or gut issues as a result. (famous last words probably).

so you don't feed pellets? And where would a wild rabbit find 90% hay? I kno they eat a lot of grass, but hay?! and in that proportion?

so you don't feed pellets? And where would a wild rabbit find 90% hay? I kno they eat a lot of grass, but hay?! and in that proportion?

Oh, no, I do feed pellets, but I was responding in relation to stuff that isn't needed like fruit juice. Did I misunderstand the OP?

my view would be that grass is equal to hay :? I don't know exactly what percentage of a wild rabbit's diet is grass, but I highly suspect they eat 90-100% fibrous vegetable material. which amounts to the same thing.

Yeah, its really hard to keep anything safe from Rimmi, hes so nosy.... he tips glasses over... :( Not good cos I am running out of towels!

Its not at though he is starved or lacting water... he has a water bowl AND a water bottle in the living room!!

Err... naughty Rimmi, couldnt believe it when he went for the tea!

And BTW... we never let him eat the things.... or want him to, he steals and then we run after him getting them.

Elwood is a nightmare with food, we no longer eat anything downstairs, we actually sit on the bed to eat breakfast and lunch and shut him in when we have our main meal. We can't even have hot drinks in the lounge, thankfully I only drink water but he still manages to knock that over on a regular basis.

I really would recommend keeping all human food away from Rimmi, put him in a cage while you are eating if you have too, if he eats something he shouldn't and he gets seriously ill how bad are you going to feel :(

I stand corrected, I didn't understand the correct meaning of the term wild diet then.

If you are like me Helen, I am sure you only feed a tiny amount of pelleted food just to make sure they get the vitamins etc they need, the main bulk of their diet is hays and veg :wave:

I'm a right tight :censored: with manufactured foods, unless they are poorly buns that need feeding up :lol:

If you are like me Helen, I am sure you only feed a tiny amount of pelleted food just to make sure they get the vitamins etc they need, the main bulk of their diet is hays and veg :wave:

I'm a right tight :censored: with manufactured foods, unless they are poorly buns that need feeding up :lol:

^^ that's what I do...they get a very tiny sprinkling of pellets on the grounds that I don't necessarily feed veg which supplies every last vitamin and mineral...it's such a small amount that I can't see it having any negative effect though.

And where would a wild rabbit find 90% hay? I kno they eat a lot of grass, but hay?! and in that proportion?

Wild european rabbits originated on the iberian peninsula, where, as you will notice if you go on holiday there, the grass is very brown and crispy most of the time because of the hot, dry weather. So true wild rabbits probably did originally have a diet much more hay-like than their british cousins :)

Give up your hot chocolate and then you won't feel guilty. ;):lol::lol:

Seriously though, I don't think they have cravings for things, although some would happily eat/drink anything you offered to them. Just stick with the water and he'll be none the wiser about what he's missing out on. :)

I'm guilty of giving Maisy the odd treat too. And she absolutely loves dried apricots, I only have to touch the bag and she is next to me, she also runs off with it to a corner to enjoy it by herself! Are green beans safe, I have some here for her if so :)? On a different note, just noticed the little burger has nibbled the rubber off the grip of my pen, about a whole inch of it. Obviously not good but she should be ok? :shock:

I swear, it sounds like you guys think I want to give Milo chocolate bon-bons and Twizzlers! :lol:

Look, here's what Sara's logic was:

Rabbits can have apples as a snack.
Apples naturally contain apple juices.
Is it ok to give rabbits a tiny bit of apple juice with water once a month or so?

Is this really that insane a question? As long as it doesn't cause dysbiosis and doesn't rot the teeth, all I can see are benefits. It would encourage my rabbit to drink more, and probably put him in more of a binky mood than usual. With a "once a month" kind of frequency, I doubt my rabbit will get diabetes.

My rabbits will do tricks for raisins, but my rabbits won't do tricks for hay. So don't tell me that buns don't have preferences. ;) My rabbit's diet will still be 90% hay, and some pellets and veggies. I just want to flavor his water every once in awhile.

Back