• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Front leg pain

foofoo

Alpha Buck
Hi all, my boy Fudge hurt his front right leg over two weeks ago and still won't put any weight on it. The leg was xrayed and there was no obvious fractures but it wasn't my normal vet that examined him that day. Fudge is on metacam and I was told to keep him on cage rest and to let him exercise out of his cage twice a day for a short period.

I'm just a little worried that theres been no improvement in this time, he isn't using the leg at all if he can help it apart from to clean his face and my vet is on holiday till the 30th. Could there be nerve damage to his leg or something else? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated :)

I think he hurt it by jumping down from the sofa :( He didn't loose his balance when he landed or show any pain, it was the next morning he was holding the leg up.

Yep, definitely back to the vet.
Squidgy did this, and was given a couple of steroid injections, and it sorted the problem out.
It depends what the underlying problem is though.
hope it goes well.

Yep, definitely back to the vet.
Squidgy did this, and was given a couple of steroid injections, and it sorted the problem out.
It depends what the underlying problem is though.
hope it goes well.

Thanks. I just hope the vet can do something for his leg tomorrow.

Fudge went to the vet this evening,the vet examined his leg and she doesn't think anythings fractured but he was flinching a bit when she touched his toes. Still don't have a definite answer to whats causing the lameness :roll: I've to wait another week and if he still can't put weight on it then he has to have more xrays done. Feel so bad seeing him like this and not being able to help :(

Fudge went to the vet this evening,the vet examined his leg and she doesn't think anythings fractured but he was flinching a bit when she touched his toes. Still don't have a definite answer to whats causing the lameness :roll: I've to wait another week and if he still can't put weight on it then he has to have more xrays done. Feel so bad seeing him like this and not being able to help :(

Poor Boy :cry:

Is he still on Metacam ?

Yep, he's still having metacam. The dose is slightly higher than what he is normally on (for his snuffles) but it doesn't seem to be making a difference really :(

The first vet who examined him and took the xray didn't think it was his toes, then Romain showed me the xray and he couldn't rule out a fractured toe but the problem that Romain had was that the other vet only took an xray of the leg in question so had nothing to compare anything that might be suspicious to and Both of Fudges front feet are slightly deformed turning in the way if that makes sense. Yesterdays vet that examined him didn't mention about the possibility of the toes being fractured, she said there was no swelling there and after she had been feeling the leg she put him onto the floor and he was putting a little weight on the foot which probably made her think it wasn't toe related :roll:

Today Fudge is the same, I'm about to give him metacam then let him out the cage to see how he's holding himself but the leg is still up at the moment :cry: What would the treatment be for a fractured toe if thats what it is? Romain mentioned a splint on the leg but said that rabbits tend to chew at the bandages.

Back