• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friends reaction to me wanting a house rabbit...

DoeEyed

New Kit
Eck.. :(

So my close friend Cassie knows that I want a rabbit to live with me and my partner in our apartment. This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't scared to death of her reaction (she is an animal rights activist... and VERY quick to judge, it seems... i.e. The other day she commented on how she knew this guy who "killed his cat", but her partner cut her off and said the cat actually got ran over!). Basically I am worried she may accuse me of mistreating my pet when I'm not.

But anyhow, I told her that it's possible to keep rabbits indoors.. to which she blankly told me "they need to spend time outside", and how you can purchase leads for rabbits to take them for walks, and how I could take mine for a walk to our local park... My mind was just... O_O
Instantly thinking of the risks associated with these things, and the fragility of rabbits. Taking my rabbit to the local park causes all kinds of risks, especially as many people like to let their dogs off their leads there, and this area is popular with wildlife and foxes, predatory animals. I kind of felt like she would lecture me if I were to take her up on this, so I just didn't.. eh..

I feel like if I don't let my bun out of my flat she will look down at me as though I'm abusing it or something. I guess I just wanted to vent here. Has anyone had anything similar for saying you keep rabbits indoors? I guess this question is mostly aimed at those who live in apartments with no garden. IS it cruel to keep a bun inside all it's life?!

mine are inside all the time now. they used to go out in the garden but next door got an aggressive dog so the buns stay in. they're fine.
but i'm not recommending rabbits as pets, to you or anyone else. you'll need two, by the way, they don't like being alone.
they are destructive, expensive, and they take over your life. don't have them until you are retirement age and have nothing to do other than indulge your bunnies.
and they can live up to seventeen years, well-kept. so think seriously and decide against it!

My buns are outdoor buns and I have a garden, but all I would say is that if your friend thinks it is a good idea to take your rabbit on a harness for a walk in the park then she clearly knows a lot less about rabbits than she seems to think she does! What on earth does she think will happen when a dog comes along? I have harnesses for my two as my garden isn't bunny proof so they can't have free ranging without one, but honestly, I would never take them outside of the garden with it on, for a start the rabbit walks you, not the other way around, and it is also dangerous for them to be on a harness if something spooks them as they will run incredibly quickly and without warning (ie faster than you have time to react) which could result in all manner of injuries. It happened to me once with Daisy when I hadn't had them long and a army jet flew overhead, I've never had such a fright and I almost didn't want them to wear their harnesses again. I'm sure you know all of this by the way, my point is that your friend doesn't, and I wanted to reassure you that you are not wrong.

Actually, Katie is not at all destructive and is generally easy and lovely to keep indoors.
But I would never ever take her to the park on a lead - I think the idea is ridiculous! I dont think they necessarily need a garden to be happy but you do need to make sure they have enough space to exercise and that they get natural sunlight.

Your friend sounds like she holds some very strong and possibly inaccurate views. Perhaps you could give her some Rabbit Welfare literature to read if she is interested?

Also if you do want a house rabbit, I would recommend going to a rescue to find a suitable rabbit who wants to live inside and is litter trained etc - as they all have their personalities and some are more suited to that kind of life than others. - Katie looks like she was born to lie around on rugs but I did have one (Echo) who hated being inside, was very grumpy and generally happier hopping round the garden. She was also very descrtructive. She was a "secondhand" bunny so I didnt know anything about her. She also bit me quite a lot!

mine are inside all the time now. they used to go out in the garden but next door got an aggressive dog so the buns stay in. they're fine.
but i'm not recommending rabbits as pets, to you or anyone else. you'll need two, by the way, they don't like being alone.
they are destructive, expensive, and they take over your life. don't have them until you are retirement age and have nothing to do other than indulge your bunnies.
and they can live up to seventeen years, well-kept. so think seriously and decide against it!

...Well this is tricky, lol!

The whole point I'm here of course is because I'm interested in rabbit keeping: expense, destruction, and all.. I don't think I'd have made it this far into my house rabbit research if I wasn't in some part committed to the care, expense and maintenance! :) Those things are certainly at the forefront of when you start looking into house rabbit care, and I'm still happy with seeing that those needs are more than met.

And so far, so good. I'm increasingly aware of the lengths I'd have to go, but still the prospective pleasure of owning bunnies is still outweighing the negatives, which is why I'm still here! :)

As for getting two buns, I've heard that this can depend on how much care and attention you can devote to your bun.. for example, if you are spending large amounts of time away from your rabbit, getting a second would be absolutely best being as rabbits like company. And even though (due to the fact that myself and my partner live and work at home) I and my partner would be able to spend large amounts of time with the rabbit, at this point I am still certainly considering two (three max!), so it is certainly something I've taken into account. :)

I am still in love with the idea of getting house rabbits, but I will never impulse buy a pet without knowing I can actually seriously care for it it's life long. I'd want to give my rabbits a wonderful life, with tons of room, plenty of toys (which I'm keen on making a hobby out of as a separate thing - I can see myself devoting lots of time to crafting toys for my buns, or even to sell), and the best care possible. But I do appreciate your concern, I know that house rabbits are certainly not for everybody.

My buns are outdoor buns and I have a garden, but all I would say is that if your friend thinks it is a good idea to take your rabbit on a harness for a walk in the park then she clearly knows a lot less about rabbits than she seems to think she does! What on earth does she think will happen when a dog comes along? I have harnesses for my two as my garden isn't bunny proof so they can't have free ranging without one, but honestly, I would never take them outside of the garden with it on, for a start the rabbit walks you, not the other way around, and it is also dangerous for them to be on a harness if something spooks them as they will run incredibly quickly and without warning (ie faster than you have time to react) which could result in all manner of injuries. It happened to me once with Daisy when I hadn't had them long and a army jet flew overhead, I've never had such a fright and I almost didn't want them to wear their harnesses again. I'm sure you know all of this by the way, my point is that your friend doesn't, and I wanted to reassure you that you are not wrong.

Thank you so much Ailstar. :)

There was a part of me thinking of how much this person prides themselves on animal knowledge, so surely I should really listen up to her, but she also told me how "rabbits are good for heart attacks", and followed up with this story of how a rabbits owner was having a heart attack, so it jumped on their chest and thumped, saving their owners life. As preciously miraculous a story that was, I can't find hide nor hare of it anywhere, so of course I'm tempted to think it was completely untrue.

Actually, Katie is not at all destructive and is generally easy and lovely to keep indoors.
But I would never ever take her to the park on a lead - I think the idea is ridiculous! I dont think they necessarily need a garden to be happy but you do need to make sure they have enough space to exercise and that they get natural sunlight.

Your friend sounds like she holds some very strong and possibly inaccurate views. Perhaps you could give her some Rabbit Welfare literature to read if she is interested?

Also if you do want a house rabbit, I would recommend going to a rescue to find a suitable rabbit who wants to live inside and is litter trained etc - as they all have their personalities and some are more suited to that kind of life than others. - Katie looks like she was born to lie around on rugs but I did have one (Echo) who hated being inside, was very grumpy and generally happier hopping round the garden. She was also very descrtructive. She was a "secondhand" bunny so I didnt know anything about her. She also bit me quite a lot!

Thanks a lot Goth Mummy! :)

The thing is, after I spoke to her, I directed her to the RSPCA website on rabbit care and also the House Rabbit Society's website to her show her that I'm doing my bit. I described all the ways I'm looking to ensure I can safely give my buns a great life in my flat (lots and lots of natural light due to my huge bay windows in the living room and plenty of binky space! :D), but she seemed uninterested and just responded with "I'm sure you'll be fine!" or something, so.. eh maybe it'll be okay. :S

I would definitely be getting my bun/s from a rescue home, and would certainly ask after the suitability for home living. :)

It certainly sounds like you are doing your research which is great, unlike me who ended up with friend's secondhand bunny that they didnt want any more (Echo) as a spur of the moment decision!!

Also its been a massive learning curve for us having a properly looked after house rabbit (Katie)! You will be in a much better position because it sounds like you have it all worked out :)

Our local rescue has some rabbits which she actually says in the descrition are suitable for house rabbits, as they are very clean/litter trained/friendly etc and others that she states are more suited to life in a shed with attached run with a companion.

Katie is on her own, I do feel guilty but I work part time and she does have the other animals for company. Its the best I can do x

How close a friend can she be if she judges everything that comes out of your mouth?

In your shoes I would stop making any justifications and just say "this is my decision and how it's going to be, you're entitled to your opinion but please keep it to yourself" :thumb:

My two bunnies are house bunnies and although I have a garden that is bunny proof they don't really like going outside and if I make them in the summer they will just keep going to the back door to get back in. They are penned off my dining room so they have their own space and they are safe from destroying anything as most buns like to chew carpets, skirting boards, wires ect. They get to run around downstairs as their exercise which they love but will go back to their home themselves when they have had enough running around.
Indoor buns are really the best, mine always make me smile and I feel if mine were kept outside I would miss out on some of thier antics that really make my day :D

My two mini lops have free run of the whole house, but the HQ is in the dining room. They do have a run in the garden but since the weathers turned that much colder, they haven't been outside. They are happy, healthy and a pleasure to have as pets :D

image_zps464006f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Don't really know what to say about your friend - except that she seems to hold very strong views! That doesn't mean her views are right.

My rabbits are outdoors in a huge hutch/run but I know lots of people keep rabbits indoors very happily (on both sides).

I reiterate what has already been said - most rabbits are so much happier with a companion. No matter how much time you spend with one, it is not the same as having a bun buddy - and there's nothing quite like seeing a bonded pair of rabbits snuggling up together.

My two mini lops have free run of the whole house, but the HQ is in the dining room. They do have a run in the garden but since the weathers turned that much colder, they haven't been outside. They are happy, healthy and a pleasure to have as pets :D

image_zps464006f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh how awesomely cute they are and in Wales ... :D

Thank you all so very much for your input on this. I appreciate it so much. And my GOD Sam&Penny those buns are out of this world adorable! You must be very proud. :)

image_zps464006f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

these are very beautiful bunnies. they look a lot like my cecile bunbun.

Back