• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freecycle and giving away free animals

I do understand what the Mods have said about giving guidelines to people to help them find the best home for their pet. My issue is that pets are being given away in the same way you get rid of a wardrobe or a fridge!! Not all people will abide by these homecheck guidelines, because at the end of the day they want rid of this animal!! One of my rabbits was from a listing on Rabbit Rehome, so I'm sure she came across some sort of guidelines of how she should go about finding the right home, but I went round and she just said that they didn't want him, and I could collect him anytime if I wanted him. She didn't care about the kind of home he was going to. I just feel that some people who give away animals on freecycle will feel the same way.

Thats my twopeneths worth on the subject anyway,

Nicola

TheGaffer said:
I do understand what the Mods have said about giving guidelines to people to help them find the best home for their pet. My issue is that pets are being given away in the same way you get rid of a wardrobe or a fridge!! Not all people will abide by these homecheck guidelines, because at the end of the day they want rid of this animal!! One of my rabbits was from a listing on Rabbit Rehome, so I'm sure she came across some sort of guidelines of how she should go about finding the right home, but I went round and she just said that they didn't want him, and I could collect him anytime if I wanted him. She didn't care about the kind of home he was going to. I just feel that some people who give away animals on freecycle will feel the same way.

Nicola

Agree 100%

Janex

TheGaffer said:

Nicola

I agree with you too,

I guess that as freecycle originated in America they have slightly different viewpoints on the subject (I guess as more shelters over there just have animals PTS if they don't have space for them).

It would also be great, if there was a forum for freecycle admins and mods to communicate, and then maybe things like banning pet ads could be promoted, but as far as I know there is no national (or international) forum for admins. (intersting link about freecycle: http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2005/08/best_of_the_web_2.html )

Also only a few freecycle groups have "cafe" forums for chat, I think it would be better if they all had them. :?

Maybe, if admin agree, we could ask our local freecycles to direct rabbit owners to rabbit rehome instead?

Back