• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes - dont think 'dog' think cross between cat and squirrel (but with big Teeth)

I was simply concerned about the way the post is portrayed. I'm not trying to get a debate started since this isn't the place to do it and it's far too late for a debate! :lol:

I just don't want people to misinterpret what you have written and fear foxes; fear always leads to bad things as I'm sure all of the, now extinct, large predators of this country know only too well. :wave:

I was simply concerned about the way the post is portrayed. I'm not trying to get a debate started since this isn't the place to do it and it's far too late for a debate! :lol:

I just don't want people to misinterpret what you have written and fear foxes; fear always leads to bad things as I'm sure all of the, now extinct, large predators of this country know only too well. :wave:

I would suggest that if you are a rabbit/hen/duck keeper then fear is an appropriate reaction to the appearance of a fox.

Fear triggers the realisation that you need to be hyper about security . .

Really good post!
Im very grateful I have a lockable shed with my bunnies in, and when theyre out in the run Im never far away and its secured! Still scary though (as much as I love foxes!)

Could I just add a couple of bits?

Foxes can carry sarcoptic and demodectic mange, Parvo and distemper so keep them away for your dog's sake too!
My OH watched helplessly as a fox took his 12 week old kitten off the lawn as he was inside making a cup of tea, had NEVER seen one around till that point :(
They carry fleas and ticks, so bring extra pests for you to look out for especially if you are in a Lymes area.

Majestic as they are, It's not just for your bunnies and piggies best interest to keep them away;)

Excellent post & advice on keeping our bunnies safe - as always parsnipbun.

May I reinforce what you said about not seeing them. I was staring out of the window & saw a fox cross 45' of garden at a purposeful trot in less than 2 secs. It cleared the 6' fence on either side without even changing stride. :shock: If I hadn't been staring I'd have missed it.
I find snowfall & mud useful as the spoor tell me where they get in (which can change) - fox spoor are quite distinctive from cats (& dogs)

When I free range my bun for excercise, I never leave it for even a sec. & ALWAYS listen to the bird song too. The garden blackbird will tell you "predator in the air/predator on the ground" & I suspect give some indication of the nature of the predator. If the birds are giving alarm calls WE go in immediately.

I would suggest that if you are a rabbit/hen/duck keeper then fear is an appropriate reaction to the appearance of a fox.

Fear triggers the realisation that you need to be hyper about security . .

Security is fine, it's when the fear gets to the point where some people believe the only way to feel secure is to kill the thing causing the fear. :wave:

Like I said I'm not trying to start a debate, I just don't want people to think that if a fox comes in their garden (which they will) that there is a huge problem and they need to be put to death for it. No matter what you do you will always have foxes passing through the garden, just as you will have rats, squirrels, mice, voles and birds of prey etc passing through the garden.
It would be pretty impossible to keep them completely out of the garden. Best thing to do is make sure you have no animals out in the garden at any point when not being supervised and their accommodation is 100% secure (which is what you have mentioned) :thumb:

I know most people a lot of people despise foxes but I just don't want people getting the wrong idea after read this post. :)

Security is fine, it's when the fear gets to the point where some people believe the only way to feel secure is to kill the thing causing the fear. :wave:

Like I said I'm not trying to start a debate, I just don't want people to think that if a fox comes in their garden (which they will) that there is a huge problem and they need to be put to death for it. No matter what you do you will always have foxes passing through the garden, just as you will have rats, squirrels, mice, voles and birds of prey etc passing through the garden.
It would be pretty impossible to keep them completely out of the garden. Best thing to do is make sure you have no animals out in the garden at any point when not being supervised and their accommodation is 100% secure (which is what you have mentioned) :thumb:

I know most people a lot of people despise foxes but I just don't want people getting the wrong idea after read this post. :)

I find an electric fence and sonic fox scarers work pretty well to keep them out - no foxes here in the last winter (I tracked the snow etc) despite being in garden 3 doors down.

May I suggest a simple non contentious answer to this anxiety?
It's simply pointless. Foxes are territorial. When a fox dies, another will take over the territory.
All the threads parsnipbun has made on the subject are about how to live more safely with foxes around.

Thank you for the reminder. I never had a problem with foxes - even with my rabbits, ducks and chickens. Doesn't mean they are not around.

I do take measures though, I shut them up at night. I have an electric fence as well as llamas. I love my boys! :love:

We also have wild chickens, ducks and peacocks wandering around the village so as much as I don't want to say it but they would be easier preys than my animals.

A very very worthwhile thread ...

6.55am this morning I was sat with this thread open talking to mum about it .. .when what should strole into the garden bold as you like .. Mr Fox ...

We dont live rurally so please everyone remember that what Parsnipbun said is true .. Our fences are 6ft all round were semi detached so houses all around us .. theres new builds at the bottom of the garden and then a massive dual carriageway ...

Please everyone be as vigilent as you can ... and supervision at free range time in my opinion is essential .. mr fox was in and out in no time at all

I personally find that the worry of Mr Fox is a positive for me in the sense that I do everything I can to keep my animals safe and advise others to do the same :wave:

Bumping this up for Spring 2015 - the cubs will be born now or soon and the vixens will start ranging more widely, often in daytime, and be much bolder near humans - they WILL try for rabbits and hens in gardens and even houses in some areas, and of course house rabbits when having a bit of a runaround outside.

BE WARY and BE PREPARED - check that the winter has not resulted in loose bolts, rotten wood, rusty or dented meshing , damp earth that can be scrabbled away to make a hole, etc etc Have your neighbours stored a bin or garden chair etc next to your fence which will mean a fox can easily jump even an 8ft fence?

Please do not forget that this is NOT an anti fox thread - please do not turn it into a for/against foxes thread - this is a thread to remind rabbit carers to take especial care of their rabbit security at this time of year (and at all times).

In the wild rabbits would depend on the burrow system and group social dynamics to keep themselves safe - we have removed them from that natural set up with all its natural defences, so WE (or you as the rabbit carer) are responsible for keeping them safe now from their natural predators.

Back