• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For "Liquorce's" Mum - Why rabbits are better living in pairs

In general, are most rabbits happier in pairs or groups?

• Yes

Votes: 61 96.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
The minimum size for a hutch is 6x2x2 ft ...
Minimum size for a run is 8x4 ft.

You can decide for yourself if you have that :D

Also you say you can afford so bigger accomadation should be being considered but check the hutch first because some hutches are far too expensive for the size they are and the hutch needs to be strong, predator and wheather proof if bunny is going to live outside just so your not wasting money on something that isn't big enough nor going to last :)

In pairs, bunnies have someone else who 'speaks their own language'. Imagine being on your own in a foreign country, having to live with a family who didn't speak the same language as you. Then imagine the same thing, but you have a friend with you - a lot less scary, yes?

Also you say you can afford so bigger accomadation should be being considered but check the hutch first because some hutches are far too expensive for the size they are and the hutch needs to be strong, predator and wheather proof if bunny is going to live outside just so your not wasting money on something that isn't big enough nor going to last :)

Is there any you can reccomend

In pairs, bunnies have someone else who 'speaks their own language'. Imagine being on your own in a foreign country, having to live with a family who didn't speak the same language as you. Then imagine the same thing, but you have a friend with you - a lot less scary, yes?

Yea I gonna show this to my mum

Bunnies are much happier in pairs. I waited nearly a year until I got my boy a friend to give him time to settle in and get castrated and for me to get used to looking after a bunny. The only thing I do think is though is that if your mum is to be the one looking after them and she doesn't think she has the time to look after another properly maybe it isn't the right time? Rabbits are a lot of work and take up time when you're at work all day and have housework etc to do as well. It's a big decision getting another animal, all too often I see animals who aren't in the best condition as mum has been left giving all the care and hasn't got time. Your mum has to be fully on board with it for it to work :)

Do you need links to hutches and runs ?
If you do, say I'll find some for you

Do you know about Myxomatosis ? and VHD?
If you don't I'll explain a bit and provide you with links..

Is there any you can reccomend

I recommend a website called uk rabbit hutches, I haven't bought a hutch from them but I do have a run, it's brilliant quality and great size and great price for what it is :thumb: I recommend asking people on here where they got their hutches from, I have yet to find a pet shop with hutches of the correct size and most I've seen are poor quality for a high price.

Do you need links to hutches and runs ?
If you do, say I'll find some for you

Do you know about Myxomatosis ? and VHD?
If you don't I'll explain a bit and provide you with links..

I need some links for utches and runs but i know about the vaccs my rabbit is already vaccinated

If you eventually want to adopt from a rescue it would be worth checking with said rescue what their rehoming requirements are for size so that you can do your best and get the right accommodation first time round.

If you eventually want to adopt from a rescue it would be worth checking with said rescue what their rehoming requirements are for size so that you can do your best and get the right accommodation first time round.

Oh yea I'm gonna ask about apricot

I need some links for utches and runs but i know about the vaccs my rabbit is already vaccinated

Great about the vaccs :) Maybe you could write a list on what to do first for Liquorice?? :) I did something similar for my guinea pigs when I fist got them and their living needed to be improved. For example:

1. Bonding with bunny (gaining your rabbits trust, spending time getting used to eachother etc)

2. Bunny diet (reducing museli, trying to find some pellets that she likes but they need to be very slowly intoduced and changed over if you do find a brand of pellets that she likes as bunnies tummies are very delacate)

3. Accomdataion

And then at the bottom of the list would be getting bunny a friend :) Then you know what you need to do and it's all in an easy list for you to do one step at a time, I just think this may help you. Also gives something for you to focus on now we're in the holidays :)

Did you buy her from a pet shop, it is unlikely they will vaccinate or spay their rabbits :)
Have you got proof they are vaccinated or did your parents go and vaccinate them at the vets for both VHD and Myxo

Did you buy her from a pet shop, it is unlikely they will vaccinate or spay their rabbits :)
Have you got proof they are vaccinated or did your parents go and vaccinate them at the vets for both VHD and Myxo

My oarents vaccinated her we got her from a farm down in the cotswolds

Back