• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food To Help Weight-gain?

Pinkchi

Warren Scout
I have recently taken on a pair of rabbits who have been terribly neglected. A week ago they were returned to my place of work by a customer (who had only adopted them 2 weeks previous).

I was absolutely furious when I opened the boxes, and what I saw will stay with me forever. I have never seen such neglect on a first-hand basis, it broke my heart. Especially as I had spent a number of weeks previous to their adoption taking care of them and watching their personalities flourish. Such sweet natured little girls.

I fought back tears as I opened the box and instantly recognised them. An English Spot I've named Delilah and a Netherland one named Daisy. Both incredibly underweight :(
I unpacked them as quick as I could from the dirty box they were in, into a nice clean cage with a big pile of Timothy hay and a fresh bottle containing Pro c probiotics. I have never seen such hungry, thirsty rabbits in my life :( Pushing each other for the water and trying to drink the same time as grabbing mouthfuls of hay. I watched them in disbelief. Delilah painfully skinny, every bone in her body visable under her spotted coat :(

I left them to it and went straight to book them an appointment at the vets. They had just finished consults so we could take them straight round.

The vet too was shocked at their condition.
The Delilah weighed in at 1.07kg, Daisy 620g. Both were given a clean bill of health and no evident dental problems. Given that just 2 weeks ago they were both a healthy weight and the way they had just gorged themselves on the hay we figured it was just down to sheer neglect :(

5 days on they weigh: 1.14kg & 730g.
Daisy is almost at a perfect weight. Delilah weighed in today at 1.230kg. That 223g she's put on in 1 week! She is still skeletal but at least we are heading in the right direction.

I'm just looking for any good foodstuffs I can give her to help her gain the weight back. I'm currently adding science selective junior to their pets at home junior pellets. They will be on science selective eventually. They are having 40g of the 2 mixes twice a day. I've also got mini alfalfa bales for them to nibble on, Timothy and local farm hay, and I've been sprinkling a handful of readigrass in their hay. So far they have eaten everything I've given them and no ill effects, and cracking big golden hay poos! :)

I've been told Alfalfa hay and a spoonful of oats or porridge made with water? I did also get told Barley rings however I have heard wind of a study or article the rwaf did and that they are no good for them.

Any recommendations great fully received! Just want her to be a healthy weight, it breaks my heart seeing her so painfully thin :(

Trial and error so that you don't upset their tummies but I used to give my elderly lady dry porrige oats (about a tablespoon), mini sweetcorn, dried split peas, apple, carrot etc. Basically, anything considered to be high fat and sugary. Of course you need to be careful since high sugar can cause tummy issues but none of these things ever upset Flora. I also used to make up a sort of warm 'bran mash' with Critical Care mixed with oats and moistened with a little warm water. She loved that in the winter.

The fact that they are now gaining weight is good news and I would be wary of trying to hurry things along by adding lots of carbohydrate to their diets. This could well cause significant gut problems. I would continue feeding as you are and possibly add in some dried forage and dried grass. A slow weight gain over the next few weeks is what to aim for, rather than a rapid gain which may create more problems than it solves. Some exercise will help build up any muscle wastage that may have occurred and it will also promote good gut motility.

Thank you both for your replies. It's hard trying to get a good balance between a good amount of food and over feeding as I'm so desperate for her to gain weight.

I've just started introducing tiny portions of veg so hopefully we can build that up for them. I think progress looks slow on her because she is so skinny and has a larger frame than Daisy. English are a slim, sleek breed anyway, but she literally had no meat on her bones bless her

The good news is she is eating like a horse so I'm hoping in a few weeks we will start to visabley see an improvement :)

Back