• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly strike / Hutch cover question

i lost 1 of my buns last year coz of a little cut on her back and the flies got in there and layed there eggs, i always check there bums but i never thought of checking them for cuts.

I also use Buzz off and Bugs be gone, have a rechargeable fly killer in the shed and mesh too in various hutches and runs :D

Hi, the essebtial oil is fine... I got mine from the internet site simply suplements http://www.simplysupplements.net/ci....html?osCsid=c6c35a1a5b3f1502913d47db69925469, but its exactly the same stuff.

I got my muslin from our local haberdashers - bought 10 inches by 20 inches or so for 25p! cotton woll balls - 49p for huge pack and ribbon for 20p. I made 5 diffusers, but could have made about 10 with all the bits that i'd got! They seem to do the job nicely!

Citronella is advised not to be used for pregnant women as it is nknown as an emmanagogue - Some oils are known as emmanagogue and can cause contractions of the uterus/womb thus bringing on spontaneous miscarraige. So its wise to know exactly what you;re doing with the oils.

right...

*note to self... do not use citronella oil around pregnant woman...*

thanks for the tips... great idea you had... gonna copy :D :lol: :lol:

My dad has his own business making and fitting window blinds, and curtains etc. He did quite a bit of work for the railway last year. And on some posh train they had flyscreens at the windows. He asked if he could have the old ones and mums made fantastic fly screens from them for the buns, piggies and ferrets.

Thanks again, all your replies have given me some good ideas to try.

I will use rearguard too but I am worried about putting it on as our bunny hates being picked up and I can't imagine him staying still enough to apply it. Might have to get the vet to help us!

I tried rear guard last year- and now I have 2 buns I am hoping to never use it again... apart from the 16:00 a bottle. :roll:
I reckon its a pain in the behind to use especially with buns who hate being handled.
As long as they are able to clean themselves and arent over weight... Then I reckon all the above methods are a much better idea.

By the way, do people think if I leave the hutch cover on (instead or possibly as well as using fly netting etc) to help prevent fly strike that this will be too hot for the bunny?

I think the net curtains and netting etc is a good idea but I already have a cover which will keep the flies out so I can use that. It has got air vents at the sides but I am worried about overheating the hutch.

If people think overheating might be a problem I will look into netting but if not I can just keep the cover on.

Since loosing my first bun to flystrike last year Im never taking the chance again. The sight still haunts me today, it was the hottest day of the year and the things just exploded on her. Poor Jovi :(

My two are indoor buns. Plan to rearguard them soon, some fly paper and a bug zapper if I can find a decent one.

It just takes 1 fly to lay some eggs on their poop tray. They sit down to do their business and thats it.

Just found these, look great, can plug them in around their area.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1178015539952&isSearch=true

They have a plug socket right behind their cage so they cant get to it but the flys can.

I'm never really sure what to do about my hutch/run combo, as their litter trays are out in the run. I'm going to make a fly shield for the hutch, but the main poos are outside (although changed twice a day).

Back