• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Florence hasn't eaten anything since her spay

Sally its not your fault you shouldnt have to ask for pain relief.... it should be given anyway
Cant believe they gave it after a neuter.... which is a simple op and not usually necessary.... but not after a spay :(
Have you any metacam in??
Try not to worry too much.... some buns dont eat the first day of their spay, but i would def ring the vets tomorrow for some pain relief to help her over it xxxxxxx
(she will prob have been given an injection after the spay which should see her through til tomorrow) x

Thank you, I have an appointment at 11 tomorrow, if she still hasn't eaten by tomorrow I will ring and get a earlier appointment. Dexter was neutered at pets at home and they were really good. Florence was spayed at my local vet. I feel awful for poor Flo I hate the thought of her in pain :(

Don't feel bad chicken, it may be that they gave her the 24 hr metacam injection and when you go back tomorrow they will give you some oral stuff.
Just make sure you get the oral stuff tomorrow and all will be well :)
Ask as well for some CC sachets and a big 15ml syringe, these have been invalueable for me when a bunny gets ill.
I also have emeprid (gut stimulant) and exta metacam there for emergencies. But my vet is very happy with me knowing what to do and has explained all the dosges etc to me.
I can also email her if I'm ever worried which is a great help.
Just get some lovely tasty herbs for her and she will most likely eat these first.
Did the vet syringe feed her before she came home?
And I see from your other thread it was only today she was spayed.
It's completely normal for her to feel under the weather just now.
So even if you can manage to get her to eat a little bit tonight that should be fine.
Where are you keeping her at the minute? In the house in a wee hospital cage?
*hugs* She'll be fine xxx

Thanks so much for your lovely reply. I'm glad it's normal for them to still feel under the weather. I think I would too. You have put my mind at rest thank you so much xxx

What about giving her a bowl of her favourite foods? Parsley is the thing that gets Poppy eating every time...I start with that, then a bit of apple, bit of carrot...then the cabbage and then hay/pellets. It might not be the right thing but its worked here.

Thank you, I have an appointment at 11 tomorrow, if she still hasn't eaten by tomorrow I will ring and get a earlier appointment. Dexter was neutered at pets at home and they were really good. Florence was spayed at my local vet. I feel awful for poor Flo I hate the thought of her in pain :(

Sally.... stop worrying..... she will have had pain relief today... she is bound to be a bit sorry... its a big op... Im sure she will feel muh better tomorrow xxx

Thanks so much for your lovely reply. I'm glad it's normal for them to still feel under the weather. I think I would too. You have put my mind at rest thank you so much xxx

When I had Angel spayed she was syringe fed at the vets and didn't really eat much that night a nibble on some herbs and hay here and there and next day she was still not fully back to normal but she was back to eating hay again.
She was just resting for a few days after and then she was back to normal.
Willow was syringe fed by myself got a couple of syringes in her no bother, her spay was more complicated than Angel's and yet she was begging me for dill early the next morning.
Literally woke me up by thumping and then she was begging for treats :love:
11 am should be fine for her, you'll probably find she'll fancy something early in the morning. :)

It can be so worrying but you'll get though it :) xxx

Hello :wave: I was worried about this with Misty but she ate some kale and spring green when she was still at the vets before we picked her up, maybe try her with leafy things like that? I left pellets and hay, with plenty of veg to keep her guts moving, she didnt poo for a couple of hours but then she was back to normal. I took her cage to bed with me, and by morning she'd eaten everything! I know it's hard, but try not to worry, I'm sure she'll eat, just leave the things she loves close to her so when she decides she wants to eat, its there :wave:

Thanks so much everyone, you have made me feel much happier. Hopefully she will be feeling much better by tomorrow. Thanks again you are all fab :love:

That's good, has she got more pain relief. Doughnut had 7 days worth, antibiotics and critical care in case she didn't eat. Vets seem to vary so much. She had not interest in her pellets only fresh herbs and she didn't eat until the following day either.

Fingers crossed you seem continued improvement.

:oops: Sorry I missed this thread last night, although I posted on your other one.

I'm so pleased she is a little better today, and hope she continues to make a good recovery. I've never had a girl bunny, but from what I have seen on here the speed of recovery varies quite considerably between buns after a spay, but it sounds like she is heading in the right direction.

Hope you have a good stock of her favourite noms in. ;)

Back