• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy - U/D ultrasound 24th April

Oh poor Flopsy :( Topping up the vibes for him. I'm sorry I don't have any info on the conditions. Thinking of you. xxxx

Hi Rabcat and Lisa , thank you :)

Flopsy is doing ok , he had an off day last week and was very tired but He's been ok since and has a good appetite still :thumb:

His ultrasound isn't until Thursday as couldn't get an appointment for Tuesday and we were so busy. Will let you all know how it goes on Thursday.

Hi everyone. Took Flopsy in for his ultrasound this evening after a busy day at college. I held Flopsy whilst he was shaved and had the gel put on him and also throughout the scanning - I wasn't too comfortable with the fact that I had to hold him in a way that caused him to almost trance. I guess that it's the most easiest and safe way of performing an ultrasound on a conscious rabbit. Anyway it was quite interesting to see the scan and be talked through everything.

Basically Flopsy's heart muscles are very thick so obviously his blood isn't being properly circulated around his body hence the congested liver :( J diagnosed him with heart disease and and has prescribed him with vetmedin tablets which I have to give him 1/2 once a day; they're liver flavour so not very nice! I'll make sure to grind them and mix them with some Ella's kitchen fruit purée baby food as I know he'll have it then.

We've got to go back next week and hopefully we will start to see some improvement. I am hoping that we should have some weight gain by next week.

I asked J what the prognosis was and he said that it's quality of life over quantity; which is very true. Hopefully once we can stabilise his condition that he can remain comfortable and pain free for many more weeks/months yet.

My poor boy. As if Kidney disease , arthritis and dental and tooth root issues wasn't enough already, that's heart disease and a congested liver added to the list. :(

Flopsy has been on Metacam for 2 years , Fortekor for almost a year and now he's on Vetmedin on top of that. He also has oxbow joint supplements and milk thistle extract.

Oh no, poor Flopsy. :(

I'm glad that you have finally got an answer to his symptoms. I hope the meds will work well for him and he manages to keep happy for a while yet. :)

Sending him lots of vibes. x

Jack I'm so sorry that Flopsy is facing more health challenges. :( Sending my most heartfelt prayers and vibes for your dear bun that the meds work and he'll be feeling better soon. xxxxxxxx

At least you know now and Flopsy is getting the treatment he needs, poor boy. It must be a worry for you but it sounds like you have an excellent vet helping Flopsy.

I'm so sorry the news wasn't good, but hope flopsy will start to feel better soon now he's being treated for all the right things. He's lucky to have such a caring owner and good vet to take care of him :thumb:

Awwww bless him xxxx

Sorry that he has had this diagnosis and hope that the new meds will be successful for him.

Lovely little fella :love::love::love:

Hugs for you too for the stress of it all xx

Back