• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy - U/D ultrasound 24th April

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
My poor Flopsy has been to the vets this evening to see JC. I was expecting he would be needing a dental however J said that his teeth are in quite good condition considering his last dental was in December (4 months ago) Flopsy has lost quite a bit of weight again and he's just skin and bones, he weighs 1.66kg , he was 1.8kg just 4 weeks ago so had lost about 200g. As well as this his incontinence is getting worse and a lot of the time his feet are wet with urine from where he'll sit in the run and wet hisself. :(

Flopsy last had bloods taken in December when he had his last dental and the results were that his kidney disease was stable however his liver enzyme levels were elavated so J advised me to put Flopsy on milk thistle extract which I give to him every day. We didn't know whether the liver damage was permanent or what exactly it was as J didn't want to opt for a biopsy in his condition then. It would be far too much for Flopsy.

As well as Flopsy's incontinence , his fecal output isn't the best. He produces tiny poos as well as good but recently the tiny ones have been increasing. I just put it down to all the meds/supplements he's on but I've looked online and this can be a symptom of quite serious liver issues.

All we can do is await the blood results , they will be back Wednesday night however J said he'll contact us on Thursday morning. I'm just hoping whatever the outcome , there's another drug we can put Flopsy on. I'm not ready to say goodbye to him but I do not want him to suffer either.

Does anyone have any experience with liver disease, failure or any other related liver disease etc?

Last edited:
Yeah, loads of good wishes and healing vibes being sent from us too Jack..

fee xxxx

Treatment for Liver Disease would depend on identifying the primary cause. Did JC suggest doing an ultrasound of Flopsy's Liver ? This can be done without the need for a GA, just a shaved belly.

Whatever the blood results I hope there will be some treatment options for Flopsy.

Thank you everyone :wave:

Treatment for Liver Disease would depend on identifying the primary cause. Did JC suggest doing an ultrasound of Flopsy's Liver ? This can be done without the need for a GA, just a shaved belly.

Whatever the blood results I hope there will be some treatment options for Flopsy.

No he hasn't suggested an ultrasound yet however I'm sure he'll do one if he thinks it's necessary when the blood results are back. Thank you.

So sorry that your little Flopsy is poorly :(

I hope that the test results show what can be done to help him.

Sending lots of vibes for the little fella and hugs for you at such a stressful time xxx

I've not long got back, J rang mum earlier with Flopsy's results. Unfortunately I only know what mum has told me.

Apparently Flopsy's kidney disease is stable which is good however his liver is congested as his heart isn't working properly. :( he needs an ultrasound on Tuesday.

My poor boy , it just isn't fair that he has all these problems.

Back