• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy not well, not eating, drinking, gone very withdrawn

Rach&Dan

Young Bun
Hi all,
Our flopsy, who is 6 going on 7, is under the weather.

Last night last thing she was fine and her usual self, eating, being the boss etc and first thing this morning when we let them out the hutch she was the first out and about.

A couple of hours later after working in the garden I noticed she hadn't moved from one spot, tucked in a corner. I went over to her to see if she was alright, usually she'll ask for head rubs. Nothing this time. I struggled to move her from the spot and when she did move she was in a pool of her own pee, and tried to get back to the same spot again. When we wouldn't let her she went into the hutch and lied down in the downstairs bit. Usually she goes up the ramp.

At this point we got an appointment at the vet and moved her into her indoor cage we have for bonfire night/cold weather.

We went to the vet, he checked her mouth and said it looked fine, she had perked up a little bit but not much, and whilst there he tested how she was for walking and she was walking fine when he tried to pick her up. The vets given her an injection of antibiotics, and a painkiller, unfortunately I don't know which ones were used. He said if she doesn't pick up to bring her back in the morning.

This was at four o'clock, since them we've moved her indoors were its darker and cooler, in her cage, and put her food in there along with cabbage and broccoli that she goes mad for, and treats she goes mad for, but now, at 8 she hasn't touched them and is hardly moving. She hasn't drunk either. I tried to offer her the bottle but she wouldn't use it, I got her dewlap wet and she groomed it off but thi won't be enough water.

She's been in the cage since 3ish now and there's no sign of pee or poo and she's hardly moving. We're getting worried about her now.

Has anyone got any advice on what we can do until the vets open tomorrow morning? Or even any ideas what's up?

Did the vet physically examine her abdomen? Did he listen for gut sounds? These are definitely things that should have been done, to check if the gut is moving as it should and to check for signs of any blockage. If he examined her and there was no blockage, I would have expected him to give her a gut stimulant to keep things moving. If she hasn't eaten all day, to be honest I would take her to an Out of Hours vet tonight to be examined and treated accordingly. Yes it will be expensive, but often it is crucial to get tummy issues sorted sooner rather than later, leaving it longer can make things much much worse. I hope your bun improves soon x

I would also get her straight back to the vets now. If it's a gut problem, they can go downhill very quickly. I don't mean to scare you as it could be something else entirely, but I have personally lost a bun within 12 hours of noticing similar symptoms, despite getting him to the vet. It really is worth checking out.

Thanks for the replies, the vet listened to her gut and didn't think the problem is there. With the urine incontinence earlier today, i think he's thinking it's something to do with urine, like an infections. Poos were ok until today.

Just looking up out of hours vets now.

We tried the bowl earlier but she won't go near it. In the last 15 minutes I went out and got some dandelion leaves from the lane, washed them and put them in wet, and she's just eaten two of them and half a third. We're still on edge but this is a big improvement from earlier

Something similar happened to my rabbit just yesterday and he needed to spend the night in the hospital to get his gut working again.

Last year my other rabbit stopped eating and showed all the similar symptoms. Also, she is usually house-trained and only ever pees in her litter box but on that day she was sitting on the sofa and peed then and there, and just stayed in that spot until I removed her. Very unlike her. She needed 3 nights in the animal hospital followed by an emergency dental so nothing urine related.

I really think you need to get her seen by an out of hours vet, hope you found one.

She's just been to the water bottle and has worked her way part way through a massive cabbage leaf and is moving around more. She's also shredding newspaper too.

There's hay in there too I think she's had a nibble on that too

She's just been to the water bottle and has worked her way part way through a massive cabbage leaf and is moving around more. She's also shredding newspaper too.

There's hay in there too I think she's had a nibble on that too

Is she weeing and pooing?

We have more poos and now she is coming to edge of cage when we enter the room, she's also eaten some pellet food as well as the fresh and is eating hay. Still unsure about ewes yet though, going to sit up with her tonight.

she's getting better, she's back to snatching cabbage off us and is eating hay, lots of poos and now signs of wee, she's begging for attention and is getting sick of the cage (usually she's with womble in the hutch or this time of year free range in the garden). we are gonna keep her in one more night and day just to make sure everything is on form before she goes back to the hutch and the garden just make sure she's 100%.

womble was sad earlier and wouldn't come out the hutch into the garden. the last time he saw flop was last night when she was still withdrawn and not well. she was bossing him about the kitchen when they were together, and now he's binkying round the garden.

thanks everyone for the help, this was the worst she'd ever been and the amount of time she was ill for and not eating was really starting to worry us and I think we kind of panicked, and given her age thought it was it.

we are still none the wiser as to what it was although we're suspecting a urine infection. Vet is happy with her progress too

couldn't post yesterday but all is back to normal!
we put flopsys cage outside for some fresh air and all she wanted to do is get out the cage and play with womble, so we let her out into the garden. they couldn't get enough of each other and everything's back to normal now.

we were really worried it was the end especially after reading a few threads similar but she pulled through.

tonight when I got home she was running circles round my feet and then begging for cabbage!

Back