• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flattening Hay, what does it mean?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

Molly is the only one of my two that does this. I took 2 videos today to show you and I wanted to know what the meaning of this behaviour is. Is it frustation, or trying to find tasty hay strands? Or is it just a game? She binkies in one video (and bangs against the side of the hutch :lol: :love:), so don't think she's unhappy. What do you think?

click on the photos

My two do this with blankets, theyre indoor so they dont have a floor of hay. They will also do it to my duvet. I always thought they were trying to make their bed or something .

I think it's just a preference/ game. Buckley does the same thing sometimes, and when I fluff it back up he flicks his feet at me and squishes it back down again.
Maybe it makes it more tasty, like slapping mint to release the flavour.

Mine did this when I had their bonding pen in living room filled with mixture of hay and aubiouse. Seemed like a game to me. When I moved them into dining room, I gave them a sandpit as a litter tray, and again they pushed the bedding and hay around. When I threw in an old dressing gown, Chloe spent ages re-arranging it - but also chewing holes in it :lol:

oooh she definately aint unhappy girl. one look at her eyes and you can see that. one of my dutches takes his out of his hay rack adn does that, shoving it and digging it between his legs. rearranging, moving, eat a bit and then digging it again.

some of mine have a whole bale to themselves, you can imagine the mess they make with that lot!! x:lol::lol:

Back