• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bunny parent, adopted an unwanted 10 year old bunny, need advice.

yes i'm afraid so. I use Imgur with private settings - its very easy to use. You can add an avatar straight from your computer

Oh that's okay, I'm a quite the photography enthusiast so I have a photography site, but had hoped to add photos separately, but I can use my site, so I'll get that sorted soon :) Can't wait to show her off :)

You're really welcome Natalie :D

Just a word about the Science Selective - unless they've changed their formulation, my rabbits (who are all dental boys and girls) can't actually eat it as the pellets are too big.

Burgess do some different brands which are smaller pellets.

I've had to go for smaller still in Oxbow Bunny Basics - but it's worth thinking about pellet size, if you think it might be an issue :)

Oh right, I hadn't even thought about that. The ones she's got at the moment are about 1/4" cubed. I'll check the Burgess ones again as well :) Thanks for that. Being new to the area (as mentioned above we've only just moved into this house) I'm not familiar with the local pet shops particularly, but the one I did go and visit, closest to us, looked horrible lol. So I'll probably get most my bunny stuff on line. So if anyone has advice on where's the best place, I'm all ears lo -l all ears - I'm becoming like Caramel already :lol:

We can go and visit a big Pets at Home, but I'm not super impressed with them either to be honest. I don't really like to see animals in pet shops. I feel that anyone taking on a living creature needs to be checked out a bit first, you know, just make sure they're committed to offering a good home. So to be able to just go in, hand over money and take an animal home, just isn't the way I feel it should be done if the welfare of the animal is the top priority. Just the way I feel about it.

Oh, also, what does 'dental boys and girls' mean? Sorry, I really am new to all things bunny, do they have particular dental issues?

Last edited:
Oh right, I hadn't even thought about that. The ones she's got at the moment are about 1/4" cubed. I'll check the Burgess ones again as well :) Thanks for that. Being new to the area (as mentioned above we've only just moved into this house) I'm not familiar with the local pet shops particularly, but the one I did go and visit, closest to us, looked horrible lol. So I'll probably get most my bunny stuff on line. So if anyone has advice on where's the best place, I'm all ears lo -l all ears - I'm becoming like Caramel already :lol:

We can go and visit a big Pets at Home, but I'm not super impressed with them either to be honest. I don't really like to see animals in pet shops. I feel that anyone taking on a living creature needs to be checked out a bit first, you know, just make sure they're committed to offering a good home. So to be able to just go in, hand over money and take an animal home, just isn't the way I feel it should be done if the welfare of the animal is the top priority. Just the way I feel about it.

Oh, also, what does 'dental boys and girls' mean? Sorry, I really am new to all things bunny, do they have particular dental issues?

Yes, it means they have issues with some/all of their teeth, their jaws, abscesses, malformation ... lots of things that can affect a rabbit's eating.

My lovely vet has a very informative blog, and she wrote a lot about the possible dental issues a rabbit can experience:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-1-malocclusion-cheek-teeth/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

Yes, it means they have issues with some/all of their teeth, their jaws, abscesses, malformation ... lots of things that can affect a rabbit's eating.

My lovely vet has a very informative blog, and she wrote a lot about the possible dental issues a rabbit can experience:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-1-malocclusion-cheek-teeth/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

Thank you! I had a read of part 1 - scary. I'm really anxious about her vet appointment tomorrow. From what I can gather, she hasn't been to the vets in an awful long time :( I'm not seeing any of the obvious signs of problems, but I'm such a novice and I haven't done any close inspection as I'm still working on gaining her trust and just sitting with her, talking to her, stroking her and scratching her ears etc, so there could easily be something brewing :( I don't want to try to examine her at this point because, as mentioned previously, I know that she bit the previous owner, I think it was when she was being picked up, so I don't want to frighten her and cause her to bite, especially not as I have lymph oedema in my right arm from breast cancer treatment. So altogether better all round to avoid a biting scenario. I'm really hoping the vet we see will be ultra careful with her. I did ask about whether there was a vet at the practice who was particularly interested in rabbits but was told that they're all about the same. We'll see.

At the moment Caramel looks and seems to behave in such a way that wouldn't indicate ill health to any extreme. She's eating well, munching hay, although I have no idea how much she's munching as I give her loads of fresh stuff daily and haven't monitored how much, or not, she's eating. She's munched her way through the small portions of veg and herbs I've given her as well. I'm not happy about her right eye, I don't think that looks quite right, but it's not weepy or anything. I'm not seeing any stickiness around her tail end. I've seen her drinking, she's got a bowl and two water bottles, I've only seen her drink from the bowl though.

I would love her to come away from the vets with a clean bill of health, but I'm not banking on it. To be her age and not be regularly checked ... well ... hmmm ... I'd be really surprised if there is absolutely nothing wrong, extremely pleased, but really surprised.

Anyhoo, in the meantime, let's see if I can add some photos ... I got lucky yesterday as during one of the times I was sitting in the run with her, with my camera, she suddenly had a funny five lol (or is that just a dog term, it's when they, just start racing around, acting kinda loopy lol, and basically just having fun) She had a good stretch from her slumbers and just started darting about the place. Unbelievably cute.

So my first photo - if I get it right - is one I captured of her cornering during her funny five :) This is fairly serious stuff, this corning malarky :)

p2494090739-5.jpg

And her gorgeous bobtail derrier as she dashed passed

p2494090778-5.jpg

Checking out the new 'thing' that arrived in her run that day

p2494090735-5.jpg

p2494090741-5.jpg

p2494090737-5.jpg

I think it will take a while to get her used to toys, but this one has had some attention - although the hay might have had something to do with that lol

p2494090782-5.jpg

Sorry I do get a bit carried away with both chatting and photos lol.

Please keep your fingers crossed for her vet check and vaccinations tomorrow - thanks so much everyone for your advice and support - very much appreciated - Natalie :)

She is obviously really happy from her behaviour. She looks healthy too. Stunning photos of your gorgeous girl. I hope the vets goes well

Thank you! I had a read of part 1 - scary. I'm really anxious about her vet appointment tomorrow. From what I can gather, she hasn't been to the vets in an awful long time :( I'm not seeing any of the obvious signs of problems, but I'm such a novice and I haven't done any close inspection as I'm still working on gaining her trust and just sitting with her, talking to her, stroking her and scratching her ears etc, so there could easily be something brewing :( I don't want to try to examine her at this point because, as mentioned previously, I know that she bit the previous owner, I think it was when she was being picked up, so I don't want to frighten her and cause her to bite, especially not as I have lymph oedema in my right arm from breast cancer treatment. So altogether better all round to avoid a biting scenario. I'm really hoping the vet we see will be ultra careful with her. I did ask about whether there was a vet at the practice who was particularly interested in rabbits but was told that they're all about the same. We'll see.

At the moment Caramel looks and seems to behave in such a way that wouldn't indicate ill health to any extreme. She's eating well, munching hay, although I have no idea how much she's munching as I give her loads of fresh stuff daily and haven't monitored how much, or not, she's eating. She's munched her way through the small portions of veg and herbs I've given her as well. I'm not happy about her right eye, I don't think that looks quite right, but it's not weepy or anything. I'm not seeing any stickiness around her tail end. I've seen her drinking, she's got a bowl and two water bottles, I've only seen her drink from the bowl though.

I would love her to come away from the vets with a clean bill of health, but I'm not banking on it. To be her age and not be regularly checked ... well ... hmmm ... I'd be really surprised if there is absolutely nothing wrong, extremely pleased, but really surprised.

Please keep your fingers crossed for her vet check and vaccinations tomorrow - thanks so much everyone for your advice and support - very much appreciated - Natalie :)

Those are stunning photos, Natalie :)

If you hadn't said she was 10 years old, I wouldn't have known! I hope she has many years of happiness with you :)

Please ask the vet to be gentle with her. You are paying him/her after all! She's an elder bun who deserves respect. Write down anything you want him to look at, such as her right eye. You may get carried away with conversation and then forget what you meant to ask :)

Good luck for the vet tomorrow, and I look forward to the update.

And more photos, of course :D

Those are stunning photos, Natalie :)

If you hadn't said she was 10 years old, I wouldn't have known! I hope she has many years of happiness with you :)

Please ask the vet to be gentle with her. You are paying him/her after all! She's an elder bun who deserves respect. Write down anything you want him to look at, such as her right eye. You may get carried away with conversation and then forget what you meant to ask :)

Good luck for the vet tomorrow, and I look forward to the update.

And more photos, of course :D

Thank you, and I will talk things through with the vet about Caramel's circumstances and not having been handled much in recent years, BEFORE I let them try to get her out the carrier. It was the granddad of the family (Caramel belonged to the granddaughter) who told me she was about 10, so I'm hoping to confirm that tomorrow. Good idea about making a list, and yes, I am absolutely like that, nattering on and on and then realising when I get out from an appointment that I either forgot to ask questions, or I did ask but can't remember the answer! Hence hubby and I will both be there. He doesn't natter on like I do lol :) And I must WRITE THINGS DOWN! lol questions and answers.

Thanks again - Natalie :)

Thanks for posting the photos- the action shots really made me smile. You would never think she was 10. Good for you giving her a chance x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I hope the vet trip goes well, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but if you pop up a post " Rabbit Savvy vet needed near ****** " and give a rough indication of your area someone might be able to recommend a vet a good rabbit vet near you. Not every vet is particularly good with rabbits

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

aww caramel is gorgeous!!! :love: :love:

You've given her an amazing home and she looks like one happy bunny!

Hope your vet trip goes well xxx

Thanks everyone for your comments. Caramel is doing okay, the vet appointment went better than expected. Heart, teeth, limbs/mobility, tail end all okay. First set of vaccinations given, the myxi/RVHD one, we will have to wait four weeks to get the RVHD-2 vaccination. She does have a scratch on her right eye, which has caused conjunctivitis, we have drops for that. We put the first drops in just now, went okay, but I don't think Caramel was best pleased with us! We will be going back to vets next week for a follow up on how her eye is doing. Oh, and the good news is, we were told that she was born in 2009, (previous owners were at the same vet so they had all her info), so Caramel is actually only 8 :)

No luck yet getting her to go up and down the ramp in her hutch :( She has her hutch within a large 9' x 12' run, but for her safety I like her securely in the hutch overnight. The bottom half of the hutch is open to the grass, and she has her toilet area down there, but without being able to go up and down the ramp, she ends up toileting in the upper part of the hutch (her more enclosed bedroom bit) overnight, which I don't think she would do if she could get to her toilet area :( I've tried a few things to entice her up the ramp, but nope, she's not having it. I do wonder if it's too steep and too narrow. We're still working on how to solve that problem.

However, I think our relationship is slowly progressing, which is nice, and she does seem quite content in her new home :) I've also started the process of changing her nuggets over to Burgess. Just adding a very few bits in her usual food and will build up the ratio of new to old over two to three weeks, good news is she eats it all lol.

How much should rabbits weigh? We did forget to get her weighed whilst at the vets, and I do think her spine is a little prominent to the touch, but not so much that the vet noticed or mentioned anything, so maybe thats just me worrying. But we'll get her weight checked next week when we go back for the follow up appointment. And we forgot to get her claws clipped, so that will happen next time too.

I've also managed to get her to let me gently groom her a little, I'll gradually build that up too, although, all things considered she looks pretty good.

We also bought some more toys and bits for her yesterday, lol, to make up for the misery of the vet appointment :) We got one of those bendy green tunnel thingies, and a hay holder thingy that can be hung up on the run so she has to stretch a bit to reach it. But she has loads of other hay too. And a little hideyhouse, so more photos to come at some point to show how her run is progressing :)

I hope the vet trip goes well, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but if you pop up a post " Rabbit Savvy vet needed near ****** " and give a rough indication of your area someone might be able to recommend a vet a good rabbit vet near you. Not every vet is particularly good with rabbits

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll do that. We have three rescue doggies, so initially we just went to the same vet that they go to, but it would be nice to have a rabbit savvy vet :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. Caramel is doing okay, the vet appointment went better than expected. Heart, teeth, limbs/mobility, tail end all okay. First set of vaccinations given, the myxi/RVHD one, we will have to wait four weeks to get the RVHD-2 vaccination. She does have a scratch on her right eye, which has caused conjunctivitis, we have drops for that. We put the first drops in just now, went okay, but I don't think Caramel was best pleased with us! We will be going back to vets next week for a follow up on how her eye is doing. Oh, and the good news is, we were told that she was born in 2009, (previous owners were at the same vet so they had all her info), so Caramel is actually only 8 :)

No luck yet getting her to go up and down the ramp in her hutch :( She has her hutch within a large 9' x 12' run, but for her safety I like her securely in the hutch overnight. The bottom half of the hutch is open to the grass, and she has her toilet area down there, but without being able to go up and down the ramp, she ends up toileting in the upper part of the hutch (her more enclosed bedroom bit) overnight, which I don't think she would do if she could get to her toilet area :( I've tried a few things to entice her up the ramp, but nope, she's not having it. I do wonder if it's too steep and too narrow. We're still working on how to solve that problem.

However, I think our relationship is slowly progressing, which is nice, and she does seem quite content in her new home :) I've also started the process of changing her nuggets over to Burgess. Just adding a very few bits in her usual food and will build up the ratio of new to old over two to three weeks, good news is she eats it all lol.

How much should rabbits weigh? We did forget to get her weighed whilst at the vets, and I do think her spine is a little prominent to the touch, but not so much that the vet noticed or mentioned anything, so maybe thats just me worrying. But we'll get her weight checked next week when we go back for the follow up appointment. And we forgot to get her claws clipped, so that will happen next time too.

I've also managed to get her to let me gently groom her a little, I'll gradually build that up too, although, all things considered she looks pretty good.

We also bought some more toys and bits for her yesterday, lol, to make up for the misery of the vet appointment :) We got one of those bendy green tunnel thingies, and a hay holder thingy that can be hung up on the run so she has to stretch a bit to reach it. But she has loads of other hay too. And a little hideyhouse, so more photos to come at some point to show how her run is progressing :)

She sounds to be wonderful :)

Yes get her weighed at the vet next time, as there's no blanket weight for rabbits as they are all so different. Also, what good news that she is only 8! I know it doesn't make a difference really, but psychologically it feels so much younger, doesn't it?

She's one spoiled bunny!

Do you have to wait 4 weeks for the RHD2 because of stock? As in reality you only have to wait two weeks between the vaccinations she is having.

Regards vets, yes, you can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I look forward to more news and photos :D

She sounds to be wonderful :)

Yes get her weighed at the vet next time, as there's no blanket weight for rabbits as they are all so different. Also, what good news that she is only 8! I know it doesn't make a difference really, but psychologically it feels so much younger, doesn't it?

She's one spoiled bunny!

Do you have to wait 4 weeks for the RHD2 because of stock? As in reality you only have to wait two weeks between the vaccinations she is having.

Regards vets, yes, you can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I look forward to more news and photos :D

Re the RVHD-2, yes it's a stock problem :(.

Many years ago One of our rescue dogs got bitten by an adder on the Ashdown Forest, we were very lucky, at the time, to be with a vets who were able to get the antivenom, which he did need in the end - all very scary, but he's okay now :)

Re the RVHD-2, yes it's a stock problem :(.

Many years ago One of our rescue dogs got bitten by an adder on the Ashdown Forest, we were very lucky, at the time, to be with a vets who were able to get the antivenom, which he did need in the end - all very scary, but he's okay now :)

Oh goodness, a friend of mine in Sussex's lab was bitten by an adder around 6 years ago.
He's still suffering to this day :(

I've seen your post about a rabbit vet - I shall keep an eye and make sure you get some good responses x

Oh goodness, a friend of mine in Sussex's lab was bitten by an adder around 6 years ago.
He's still suffering to this day :(

I've seen your post about a rabbit vet - I shall keep an eye and make sure you get some good responses x

Back