• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bonding bunnies

Annie1958

New Kit
I've never had to 'bond' rabbits before, only had them as a child many years ago and well, no did that sort of thing. My question is, I got Bahny a few months ago, hes a lovely little fella, very cheeky and mischievous, but started to get destructive so after filling his hutch with toys, which he ignored! I decided he needed a companion.

I now have Missy, a very gentle Doe who I got from the same rescue center that Bahny came from. The bonding that was offered was just a couple of hours, which I understand with resources being very tight, and the woman there does do a great job was more than any of the other centers offered.

The issue I have is Bahny will not leave Missy alone, he's always trying to ermm well be a boy rabbit!! although both have been neutered/spayed. Missy was only spayed about 3 weeks ago I'd say, she had just had her last check up at the vets when I brought her home on Sunday.

Could it be that after just 4 days together I'm expecting to much? They had never met before Sunday and I've put them together straight away, no side by side hutches nothing.

I separate them for a couple of hours in the eve, one goes in the run the other stops in the hutch (it is a very big hutch) mostly this is to give Missy a bit of peace and allow her to eat her tea without getting mounted from behind!

Will his 'urges' subside with time? have I rushed putting them together,
Any help appreciated, they are both lovely Bunnies so would really like them to be friends and not a rather one sided love affair as it is at the moment.

I should add, there is no aggression at all, she is a very submissive little girl, but he is just behaving all the time like a 'rampant rabbit' :oops:

Last edited:
Welcome to RU annie & well done on giving 2 rescue rabbits a forever home. When I bond I just put them straight in together, I don't feel you've rushed it at all.

It sounds like a very reassuring picture to me. It is usual for the doe to be submissive & the buck to be a little overly amorous at first but it should calm down over the next few days. Just watch out for him humping her face & her getting annoyed. Its ace they are showing no aggression. Are they grooming, lying next to one another or 'snuggling'?

Can you give them more space to enable to female to run away until this phase passes? If not then just then separating them for a couple of hours will have to do. Hopefully Bahney will calm down soon!

That's good then that its not unusual for this to happen. The hutch is quiet big its 8ft long so she does have some space but I do split them up for a couple of hours of an evening to give her a break! they do on odd occasions lay down but that could be he's just exhausted himself lol She is so sweet and gentle I don't want her upset, he was very quiet when I brought him home initially but this little fella developed a very cheeky but lovable character!

His behaviour is about hierarchy he isn't being rampant :D

Personally if she is tolerant of it I'd stop seperating them and let him get it out his system, every time you seperate and put back together again he feels the need to re-establish his dominance.

Scatter feed so both can eat comfortably without anyone getting defensive. Eating together is a good bonding exercise.

His behaviour is about hierarchy he isn't being rampant :D

Personally if she is tolerant of it I'd stop seperating them and let him get it out his system, every time you seperate and put back together again he feels the need to re-establish his dominance.

Scatter feed so both can eat comfortably without anyone getting defensive. Eating together is a good bonding exercise.
This

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

thanks to every one for the information, I did wonder if I wasn't really helping by splitting them up, he does go looking for her when I do this, but the poor lady was getting no peace. I've attached a picture of a 'rare' moment of peace and calm! lol
13892264_612577915575601_1577343398017073052_n.jpg

Missy B is the brown one, Bahny is the Lion Head Lop. Well its a week on and he is getting better but far from a perfect Gentleman yet, they do flop down together now and there has been a 'little' bit of grooming, but this morning Bahny was stamping his feet? well kicking the side of the hutch a good few times, Missy was laying next to him and in perfect female behavior ignoring his actions?
Any one any ideas what that's all about?

He could probably hear/smell/sense something he didn't like. Completely normal behaviour. He's just trying to warn her and say he doesn't like whatever it was.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back