• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First gotcha day - Captured stray rabbit- ... Scally...

Scally's mouth is a bit of a problem but I also get the impression a bit of a mystery. He's had gums trimmed again but this time in various locations, they were inflamed/sore but FHB can't understand why they were painful and causing him to salivate. Not sure what we are looking at in the longer term, no doubt I'll get to discuss that in more detail soon. I haven't had an update this morning yet re eating/coming home etc.

He's had his urine stained fur trimmed, it wasn't bad, might not be anything major.

Is Frances going to send off some of the tissue removed from his mouth to see if histological examination will shed any light on the problem ?

I hope that Scally will make a good recovery from the procedure and that he'll soon be back home xx

Is Frances going to send off some of the tissue removed from his mouth to see if histological examination will shed any light on the problem ?

I hope that Scally will make a good recovery from the procedure and that he'll soon be back home xx

I'm collecting him today:D. He was only in overnight as Frances consults in the morning and operates in the afternoon. He only stops eating during the time he's under GA, apparently, he's been eating constantly otherwise!

?Histology not mentioned. Never occurred to me to think on those lines, is there something in particular or just that it's something that might give some clue?

What a dilemma ... sorry to hear this.

I can't remember if he's ever had a skull X-ray?

Yes, he was thoroughly investigated - spine, skull x-rays, blood tests etc.

I'm collecting him today:D. He was only in overnight as Frances consults in the morning and operates in the afternoon. He only stops eating during the time he's under GA, apparently, he's been eating constantly otherwise!

?Histology not mentioned. Never occurred to me to think on those lines, is there something in particular or just that it's something that might give some clue?

He'd probably eat whilst under GA given half the chance !!

Re Histology, I am not thinking of anything in particular and I have no idea if it would serve any purpose for Scally. It's just that when Uncle Albert had a similar problem C did send off a sample for Histology. But she already thought that the tissue removed looked suspicious. I am certain Frances would have suggested doing it if she thought it to be necessary.

Yup, I videoed a similar scene from the car! I was out in the snow, but after my fingers almost froze off, I decided enough was enough.

I hope you got home safely :)

Are you still up north, is it doing that down in the south east too? That's only about 4 miles from Saturday's venue - it didn't look like that only a few days ago!

The journey back from collecting Scally today :shock:

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmm, I think Yorkshire has got in a muddle with it's Seasons....................... :shock:

It's chilly down here this morning, but dry as a bone, no sign of snow/sleet/rain and brilliant sunshine !!

How are things at Bunny Buddy's this morning ? I hope everyBun reported for duty fit and well ?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmm, I think Yorkshire has got in a muddle with it's Seasons....................... :shock:

It's chilly down here this morning, but dry as a bone, no sign of snow/sleet/rain and brilliant sunshine !!

How are things at Bunny Buddy's this morning ? I hope everyBun reported for duty fit and well ?

Barnaby isn't eating as well as I'd like but that's probably paranoia on my part. I remember being panicked about Artie looking uncomfortable/not eating after his kidney stone surgery and he's similar to that. About an hour ago I collected raspberry leaves, dandelions, grass etc but they were all frozen, really frozen! I gave him a few but gradually defrosting the rest! He ate raspberry leaves straight away. His poops are nowhere near normal as yet.

Scally is 'normal'... eating, begging etc. ... the little guy's got spirit :love:

Barnaby isn't eating as well as I'd like but that's probably paranoia on my part. I remember being panicked about Artie looking uncomfortable/not eating after his kidney stone surgery and he's similar to that. About an hour ago I collected raspberry leaves, dandelions, grass etc but they were all frozen, really frozen! I gave him a few but gradually defrosting the rest! He ate raspberry leaves straight away. His poops are nowhere near normal as yet.

Scally is 'normal'... eating, begging etc. ... the little guy's got spirit :love:

I expect it'll be a few more days yet before Barnaby's input and output return to normal. He's done really well so far.

As for Scally, he sounds as though he went to the same Eating Academy as Morse. Morse's motto was always 'If in doubt, Eat it' !! :lol:

I expect it'll be a few more days yet before Barnaby's input and output return to normal. He's done really well so far.

As for Scally, he sounds as though he went to the same Eating Academy as Morse. Morse's motto was always 'If in doubt, Eat it' !! :lol:

Frances showed me the poop collection for Barnaby from when output commenced for comparison. The day before I collected them they were dry and tiny... then she showed me the day before's and they were literally like mouse dropping! It's good that she showed me them and I would otherwise have thought he'd had a relapse with what we have now as they are a long way from normal

He's had yet more dental treatment :( It was a loose tooth this time, part broke off but Frances needed go give him a GA to sort it out properly. I actually took him about his wet fur and urine staining etc, the wet chin was incidental as only started after I'd booked the appointment. The peeing over himself could be down to his twisted spine making him pee down his leg instead of centrally... his shuffly walk strange gait is most probably neurological.:cry: He didn't walk well at all on the shiny floor at the vets :cry:

He was eating pretty much as soon as he woke up :love: Brought him the 50 minute journey home and he had his head in a bowl of Excel so fast he was busy pushing my hand out of the way.

He's had yet more dental treatment :( It was a loose tooth this time, part broke off but Frances needed go give him a GA to sort it out properly. I actually took him about his wet fur and urine staining etc, the wet chin was incidental as only started after I'd booked the appointment. The peeing over himself could be down to his twisted spine making him pee down his leg instead of centrally... his shuffly walk strange gait is most probably neurological.:cry: He didn't walk well at all on the shiny floor at the vets :cry:

He was eating pretty much as soon as he woke up :love: Brought him the 50 minute journey home and he had his head in a bowl of Excel so fast he was busy pushing my hand out of the way.

I've had a rabbit with a broken tooth. What did Frances do to sort it out?

I'm glad he seems to have taken it all in his stride :D

I've had a rabbit with a broken tooth. What did Frances do to sort it out?

I'm glad he seems to have taken it all in his stride :D

I'm embarrassed to say that I actually don't know. When I was leaving him for his dental someone was bringing in a 'stasis rabbit' that another vet had wanted to do surgery on, so was being rushed to Frances (turns out it wasn't surgical, as rabbit-savvy owner suspected) .. there were a few three way conversations so I missed getting the tooth information. Same again when Frances rang to tell me how it went - I had gone to visit Cathy (who adopted Archie) so ended up not getting the details I should have as the conversation got confused then too. I think she said, "it will be alright, it won't affect him/anything" so I don't think there are any likely implications like spurs on the tooth opposite or anything. ... reception said she has only something like 6 consult days before she retires :(

I'm embarrassed to say that I actually don't know. When I was leaving him for his dental someone was bringing in a 'stasis rabbit' that another vet had wanted to do surgery on, so was being rushed to Frances (turns out it wasn't surgical, as rabbit-savvy owner suspected) .. there were a few three way conversations so I missed getting the tooth information. Same again when Frances rang to tell me how it went - I had gone to visit Cathy (who adopted Archie) so ended up not getting the details I should have as the conversation got confused then too. I think she said, "it will be alright, it won't affect him/anything" so I don't think there are any likely implications like spurs on the tooth opposite or anything. ... reception said she has only something like 6 consult days before she retires :(

I wonder whether she took it out? Would it be trickier to remove a broken molar?

I assume you'll find out some time? :)

***Happy Gotcha Day Scallybags!***

We are celebrating with a trip to the vets (not purposefully, I've just realised it's his Gotcha day). He's not been since 30 June which is pretty incredible for him. (I know the date as the last time he was there was the day Frances retired and after her consults she checked him over in the rabbit ward).

Today he's visiting re his sneezing given his vaccination is due soon I'm wanting to be sure that the sneezing is checked out now.

Last edited:
:) I misread the date on this initially and thought it had got straight up to 18 pages this morning!

Happy gotcha day Scally!

Crikey. A year. He's had some pretty tough times, bless him. Such a little trouper. Let's hope everything is good today. Scally certainly keeps you on your toes! Lots of love, Scally. If you hadn't taken him on, he wouldn't have got this far. You deserve a medal! xxx

Back