• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finnlay and Milo's latest behaviours! Questions!

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
My boys go to the vets Friday to get checked again for their ''bits'' if everything goes to plan they will be booked in soon after for neutering. They will be 5 and a half months. Its felt like forever and I've hated keeping the boys separate, they seem desperate to be with one another and I hate seeing them chew the bars and scratching to try and get at each other.

I was letting them have supervised time together but now its gotton a little too frisky and I dare not risk a fight so close to being neutered. Both of the boys have changed in the way that they act. Yesterday when I went to check on them they both smelled really bad even though they were cleaned the day before! They never usually smell that bad until two or three days after cleaning. I think its a mix of the heat as well? Do male rabbit smell more when they become mature?

Now on to Milo, Milo is still a lovely calm boy, he loves nose rubs on his terms and still loves a binky around the utility room during free range time. He hasn't really changed that much apart from in size. He still tries to mount Finn if they get enough time together but that's had to stop now.

Finnlay however seems to be a LOT more erm....I don't know...during free range time he runs around making a soft honking sound, obviously he hasn't been neutered yet so I think I got told this was a mating thing? I hope he's not frustrated :( When Milo is out having his free range if he goes past Finns cage he RUNS towards him really fast and gets as close as he can at the bars. Thing is I'm sure I've heard Milo make this sound too, but he is quieter and softer. When I used to let them have the free range together supervised they were good up until Finn started doing a LOT of chasing and trying to climb on top of Milo. He was basically very very pushy.

Both of them have been nose to nose at the cage bars, they will have a good sniff of one another and then bite and pull at the cage bars?

Do you think they are trying to get to one another because they are used to being together or because they are trying to get at each other to fight? It doesn't seem aggressive :?

I don't think they will be trying to get together for friendship, it's either to fight or bully, or mate. Hopefully more will be revealed on Friday, until then keep them separate. I am not sure about the smell so can't offer any possible reasons for that. These bunnies! Why do we love them so much?

I don't think they will be trying to get together for friendship, it's either to fight or bully, or mate. Hopefully more will be revealed on Friday, until then keep them separate. I am not sure about the smell so can't offer any possible reasons for that. These bunnies! Why do we love them so much?

I am keeping them separate I couldn't risk fighting at this stage...

I don't know why they smell so much, I am a little worried about the hay they are on at the minute its farm hay and seems a bit musky, I'm going to get some fresh bagged stuff from the pet shop tonight and try that instead.
I really hope all goes well Friday, if they tell me yet AGAIN that they have no balls I will be almost tempted to call them on it and say they are wrong.
I have a feeling that if they went under GA they would ''appear''

Re the smell, I looked after a friends bunny for a week, he is unneutered, and his wee smelt very strong. Hope Friday is successful this time :thumb:

Re the smell, I looked after a friends bunny for a week, he is unneutered, and his wee smelt very strong. Hope Friday is successful this time :thumb:

I did think it might be down to a mix of the heat and ''coming of age'' with being unneutered.

I REALLY hope they tell me they can be neutered. I just want them to be able to be together again! =(

They smell so bad because they're unneutered, when buns reach sexual maturity and they haven't been neutered, they absolutely reek. I'm going to be fostering a bunny, unneutered, and I'm dreading the smell! The rescue is struggling for money and so I'll be fundraising to get the neuter and vaccs done myself (I physically won't be able to wait until the rescue can get the money together, I can't deal with how much bunnies stink before they've been "done". :lol:)

Yes, the honking is also because they're unneutered, and yeah it does mean they're sexually frustrated unfortunately. All of mine did it before being neutered, including the girls... Normally whilst they were chasing me round the room or circling my feet :lol: As for them trying to get at eachother, it may indeed be because they miss eachother, but hormones would undoubtedly take over and they'd probably start fighting, so you've done the right thing in separating them. Hopefully their plums will have dropped by now, and they can be neutered!

Can I say not all unneutered rabbits "stink". I have a few which are still unneutered and don't smell at all. I have neutered males that can smell a bit. It's not just black and white.

As I said the boys are going at 3pm on Friday to be checked for their bits, then I've booked for a Monday morning neuter if all goes to plan.

Any ball dropping vibes would be appreciated XD

Can I say not all unneutered rabbits "stink". I have a few which are still unneutered and don't smell at all. I have neutered males that can smell a bit. It's not just black and white.

All of mine have smelt absolutely disgusting before being neutered, and I've had 7, so I'm speaking just from personal experience. I've always cleaned them out every day as well, before someone comes along and tries to tell me it's because I didn't keep them clean enough. With every single one I have noticed that the horrid hormonal scent goes away within a few weeks of neutering.

Unneutered bunnies do have a different smell, and I personally find they do "stink". Obviously some people will be immune to it/not find it as offensive but it often made me gag when I had unneutered males around :lol:

Back