• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding new homes for baby rabbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so this is another accidental litter?:?
in that case I think it's only fair ...if you find a rescue...... that you cover ALL the costs for these rabbits..and get your male neutered as you said you were going to months ago

Last edited:
This is a second litter as she had some back in April.

This is a typical excuse us rescues deal with day in day out ' Accidental litters':roll: some people really do think rescues are a bottomless pit and that we can afford to pay for all their 'Accidental Litters'. It makes me so annoyed

so this is another accidental litter?:?
in that case I think it's only fair if you find a rescue to cover ALL the costs for these rabbits..and get your male neutered as you said you were going to months ago

Would you like to rephrase this Jill, it's reading that the rescue is to cover all costs and I am sure that's not what you mean?

This is a second litter as she had some back in April.

This is a typical excuse us rescues deal with day in day out ' Accidental litters':roll: some people really do think rescues are a bottomless pit and that we can afford to pay for all their 'Accidental Litters'. It makes me so annoyed

100% agree, some people seem to think that we can pay for everything, where do they think we get the money from?

This is what I call totally irresponsible:evil:

Well thanks guys. I came here to ask a question and get a load of backlash for it?

As I have already said this has been caused because of my lack of education about rabbits, and this is why I come here to know and learn how to keep them properly. But obviously im not welcome and never have been.

I have 2 females and 3 males, which for the record the males HAVE now been neutered.

My second rabbit was supposedly male, this is what a vet told me, this is why I no longer use these vets. I now use another vets and they just so happen to be expensive. The rabbits were not booked in at the same time, reason for the costs and actually I didnt even ask if there would be a discount for a same day booking. Im sure if there was they would of told me as I have been using them for over 5 years, I take my cats there.

I dont remember saying that I would not contribute anything towards the cost of the rabbits, so I dont know where that came from.

All I want to do is whats best for them, not myself. No wonder people just sell them to anyone when they get a reception like this from rescues.

By the way this I am not prepaired to do.

For anyone else who has been helpful, thank you.

All of the kits are doing fine, growing and there eyes are starting to open :)

How could I ask a vet to pay for the neuteres when the rabbit was sexed over a year and a half ago? This was my second rabbit, none of the older babies.

And yes Foxy I do know what rescues have to go through on a daily basis. I am also a member of a cat forum and know lots of people who work in rescue there, so please dont be rude and try to make out im stupid.

Like I have said, they are here now so I am only trying to do whats best for them. There is no point in going back over or just throwing insults at me.

Some advice is what I came for.

so if your rabbit was sexed 18 months ago how come you had babies from him in April...and more now?
sorry but I'm confused:?

Can we get this thread back on track please

If you decide to go down the route of asking a rescue to help rehome them I think you should pay for the costs of what they do with them plus a donation to pay for food and bedding etc.
ie. if they vacc them before rehoming, you pay for the vaccs.

You could advertise privately in veterinary surgeries and still home check yourself and write up an adoption form yourself stating that the new owner has to have the vaccs and neutering done.
This works well for me and I usually will arrange to meet the new owner at the surgery for the animals first vaccination (im not a rescue but still get animals now and then to rehome).
Plus advertising in surgeries means generally you are more likely to get a more responsible owner due to the fact they must be in the surgery for a pet (although not always the way!).

The rabbit that was sexed is my older female, she had the babies in April. These lot of kits are from the babies themselves, so you see now?

I dont remember saying that I would not contribute anything towards the cost of the rabbits, so I dont know where that came from.

I think that's come from one of your early posts where you said you couldn't afford to neuter them all - so in effect by giving them to a rescue, you are saying "I can't afford to neuter them, so you pay for it instead". Rescues don't make money, they have a constant struggle with vets bills which is why they find this sort of thing frustrating, especially if it's not the first time. In essence they could quite literally end up paying for other people's mistakes.

Plus advertising in surgeries means generally you are more likely to get a more responsible owner due to the fact they must be in the surgery for a pet (although not always the way!).
If you do advertise in a surgery I would still advise homechecking - I had a rescued bun once that I advertised in the surgery and had someone wonderful sounding come and meet her. I still homechecked her and she had a giant rabbit in a 4ft hutch. Needless to say she didn't get the one I had!

As I have already said this has been caused because of my lack of education about rabbits, and this is why I come here to know and learn how to keep them properly.

....but seriously, what exactly did you need to be educated about....girl rabbits and boy rabbits make baby rabbits ! (and rabbits breed like rabbits)You had 5 un-neutered related animals living together and didn't see this coming ? I think people will help give you rehoming advice, but I think you can also expect a bit of backlash to be honest.

If you do advertise in a surgery I would still advise homechecking - I had a rescued bun once that I advertised in the surgery and had someone wonderful sounding come and meet her. I still homechecked her and she had a giant rabbit in a 4ft hutch. Needless to say she didn't get the one I had!

I did say about still homechecking :D
I had someone the other week enquiring about a bun (client at the surgery) and when I said I would have to come round to homecheck she changed her mind, makes you wonder doesn't it :?

Well thanks guys. I came here to ask a question and get a load of backlash for it?

All I want to do is whats best for them, not myself. No wonder people just sell them to anyone when they get a reception like this from rescues.

By the way this I am not prepaired to do.

To answer your question as highlighted above, I refer to your earlier post which I have quoted below

It also costs £75 for a male rabbit neuter which I could not pay for all of them,

I think that's where we get the impression that you won't be paying to have them all neutered but you want to hand them in to a rescue, so the question still stands, who's going to pay for their neutering then?

In most rescues it costs between £30-40 for a neuter and then £10-20 for each vaccination and as most recues only home rabbits that have been neutered and vaccinated then it will cost around £60 per rabbit and you have 5 of them that need rehoming.

I don't think you have had a 'backlash' as you think, it's just rescues becoming very frustrated because one of us will have to find the money that you can't afford, this isn't the first litter you have had and surely you must know that if you have rabbits that are not neutered and one is a male and one is a female then sooner or later you are going to get babies.

I think its a good idea to advertise them in my vets, I am in there quite often and the people in there seem quite concerned owners. I dont think they would be in the vets otherwise.

No Alison, I was not saying in effect that the rescue should just pay for it, I know how they work and know that they struggle.

Like I said it costs £75 for males and £80 for females at my vets so no I am not able to pay this for 6 rabbits, if I could there would be no rehoming issue and I wouldn't be here taking insults. I am a single parent, not everyone has a cosy life.

Thanks for the advice Leanne.

Like I said it costs £75 for males and £80 for females at my vets so no I am not able to pay this for 6 rabbits, if I could there would be no rehoming issue and I wouldn't be here taking insults. I am a single parent, not everyone has a cosy life.

Thanks for the advice Leanne.

That is so rude and totally unneccessary!, nobody has insulted you and I certainly don't have a cosy life, far from it:evil:

No Alison, I was not saying in effect that the rescue should just pay for it, I know how they work and know that they struggle.

There's no need to be hostile, I was just explaining why I thought you got the response you did.

So now I'm confused - if you can't afford to neuter the rabbits, and you were considering taking them to a rescue...who was going to pay to neuter the rabbits? Or are you saying that you would pay the rescue for all the neuters if it was around the £40 mark each rather than the £80 mark.

It seems that both I and others are getting confused on this point somewhere :?

There's no need to be hostile, I was just explaining why I thought you got the response you did.

So now I'm confused - if you can't afford to neuter the rabbits, and you were considering taking them to a rescue...who was going to pay to neuter the rabbits? Or are you saying that you would pay the rescue for all the neuters if it was around the £40 mark each rather than the £80 mark.

It seems that both I and others are getting confused on this point somewhere :?

Hear, hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back