• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally saw what animal lives in that hutch over the fence...

If someone came to my house and started telling me about concerns for my rabbits welfare it would put my back up.

I think a better way than I was concerned about the size of the hutch blah blah should be thought of.

true id also want to shove there leaflets up their butts. :lol:

Not good but I don't think you should be posting pictures of your neighbours garden

I agree, they may be perfectly lovely people who just don't know much about a rabbit's needs. Imagine if they came on here and saw a picture of their garden! I wouldn't be happy if it was me!

But at least the OP is concerned for the bunny next door. She could have ignored it completely. IMO, the tiny bit of garden that you can see on the photo isn't sufficient to identify anyone. I've given leaflets to my neighbours before now and quite frankly, if it meant a rabbit's welfare was improved, I don't give a rats **** if anyone was miffed. The only person who should be miffed is the rabbit who had to live in too small a space ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, they may be perfectly lovely people who just don't know much about a rabbit's needs. Imagine if they came on here and saw a picture of their garden! I wouldn't be happy if it was me!

Hopefully it would encourage them to improve their rabbit's habitat then ;).

Just did a bit of research,
If the property in the picture is identifiable (which this would be if you knew the person/bun ect) and Libel or slander. You can’t misrepresent facts through the use of a photograph or accompanying text.

http://www.penick.net/digging/?p=332

I'm not saying don't go and have a word, you may find out more about the bun and make a new friend, I just think you need to tread carefully and maybe take someone with you, you don't know the people who live there or what they are like, could be putting yourself in a dangerous situation.

I've removed the photo on the very small chance that the person concerned decides to join...... or they may indeed even be a member. You might think it'll never happen, but stranger things have....... Asking for advice on what to do in a situation is fine but we don't really need to see the photo to be able to do that. :wave:

Little eskimo, I wouldnt take round rubbish hay, take round some nice stuff, bag opened but full, showing you have tried it. That way, if their bun likes it, their owners have a new type of hay to enrich his life with :) It also gives you a good starting point to get onto general care. You can talk about the hay which leads you on to moan about your rabbits: 'They are SO fussy, it really does worry me, especially, you know, as rabbits get those terrible dental problems when they dont eat enough' *smile and roll eyes* 'its like getting a child to eat its vegetables isnt it, they never eat enough of the stuff thats good for them, they just want the sweets, which I guess for rabbits is their rabbit pellets' *little laugh/giggle* 'I had to reduce the amount of rabbit food I was feeding to get mine to eat enough hay. Yours is so gorgeous though, I bet she's not a pickle like mine! So I thought I'd see if your bun appreciates nice hay, is she quite good at eating it?' Then they'll talk about their bun for a bit, with some prompts from you. By this point, you have not only given them advice on diet in case they didnt know (not saying that they dont, but lets face it, most people dont) in a way that doesnt look like giving advice, you have also gotten them into conversation and got them to talk about the bun, so you can pick up bits of info from that. Ask how long they've had her etc, be interested, ask open questions so they are properly talking to you, not just answering your questions. I would then, after some natural conversation, go on to ask: 'hmm I dont suppose you know anywhere local that does decent rabbit runs do you? I'm thinking of upgrading one of mine, I have one which is only *insert size of your smallest run, if you have a smallish one* but they need so much space dont they.' This suggests that rabbits need a lot of space without actually judging them, and you can also maybe slot in a question about what they have if they mention it.

Best thing to do is be friendly, not too pushy, dont come across as preachy, as then you will make a new friend, and can ask about their bun when you see them outside etc, and slowly drop hints over time about rabbit care, invite them to see your buns etc.

Last edited:
I wonder if its worth just opening the dialogue - I mean going round with the hay and asking if their bun would like to try it, and getting the conversation going about rabbits, without giving out too much advice this time, with a view to drip feeding more info over a period of time. Even though you really want the rabbit out of that space ASAP, it might be better to play a longer game in the hope that it WILL happen even if it takes a bit longer.

I know we all understand why rabbits need lots of space, but lets face it, most of the world thinks we're completely bonkers! My OH's mum is horrified that my rabbits "run around the garden like wild" (said in an exasperated voice). she doesn't know I take that as a huge compliment!

ETA - be brave and good luck!

Little eskimo, I wouldnt take round rubbish hay, take round some nice stuff, bag opened but full, showing you have tried it. That way, if their bun likes it, their owners have a new type of hay to enrich his life with :) It also gives you a good starting point to get onto general care. You can talk about the hay which leads you on to moan about your rabbits: 'They are SO fussy, it really does worry me, especially, you know, as rabbits get those terrible dental problems when they dont eat enough' *smile and roll eyes* 'its like getting a child to eat its vegetables isnt it, they never eat enough of the stuff thats good for them, they just want the sweets, which I guess for rabbits is their rabbit pellets' *little laugh/giggle* 'I had to reduce the amount of rabbit food I was feeding to get mine to eat enough hay. Yours is so gorgeous though, I bet she's not a pickle like mine! So I thought I'd see if your bun appreciates nice hay, is she quite good at eating it?' Then they'll talk about their bun for a bit, with some prompts from you. By this point, you have not only given them advice on diet in case they didnt know (not saying that they dont, but lets face it, most people dont) in a way that doesnt look like giving advice, you have also gotten them into conversation and got them to talk about the bun, so you can pick up bits of info from that. Ask how long they've had her etc, be interested, ask open questions so they are properly talking to you, not just answering your questions. I would then, after some natural conversation, go on to ask: 'hmm I dont suppose you know anywhere local that does decent rabbit runs do you? I'm thinking of upgrading one of mine, I have one which is only *insert size of your smallest run, if you have a smallish one* but they need so much space dont they.' This suggests that rabbits need a lot of space without actually judging them, and you can also maybe slot in a question about what they have if they mention it.

Best thing to do is be friendly, not too pushy, dont come across as preachy, as then you will make a new friend, and can ask about their bun when you see them outside etc, and slowly drop hints over time about rabbit care, invite them to see your buns etc.

Definitely agree with this. Gradually get them clued up. If you try to preach they will just get defensive. If you just be as Nessar has described if they suddenly find themselves with questions or their bun does fall ill they'll know to come to you for help :thumb:

How about,
'Oh I noticed you had a bun! Would you like to try this hay with him? Mine are soooo fussy and you know how important it is they eat their hay lol! If ever you need to have a night away, please do just ask I'll gladly come round and see to bun if you would like?'

Obviously only if you are willing to look after bun:lol:

^^ def agree.....youve so much knowledge to impart and its wonderful that you are able to do this for this bunny....just keep thinking about how YOU can make a difference for this bun!

How about,
'Oh I noticed you had a bun! Would you like to try this hay with him? Mine are soooo fussy and you know how important it is they eat their hay lol! If ever you need to have a night away, please do just ask I'll gladly come round and see to bun if you would like?'

Obviously only if you are willing to look after bun:lol:

^^ another idea - thats great!:thumb::D

Let us know how youve got on!

You know - it can be scary when youre having to open a situation up to be able to talk to people baout a topic thats important to you...just remember that its for the bun and most people really do love and care for their pets and are wanting to make thier lives better...they just dont realise that they are not always doing this....knowledge is something we need to share especially when it helps animals...youre doing a wonderful thing here! Cant wait to hear how it goes...you'll probaby be surprised at how it actually all went fine afterwards! :thumb::D

Have u not been round yet? Think of the bunny and that should:thumb: help u overcome any fears......

Im sorry guys I haven't been around yet. I keep thinking I will do it but then I freak out and put it off till the next day...

I just really don't do well around humans :(

Back