• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally saw what animal lives in that hutch over the fence...

I still don't agree with the leaflet approach. I think going round with an excuse, like oh I noticed you have a rabbit, I have some spare feed/bedding etc and then ask them about him in a friendly way.

I agree, I think it will just get their back up and they wont take on any advice.

Judging by the photo it does look as though there is a run attached.

Posting 1 photo of a bun in a hutch and moaning about it, not very fair, when that bun could be let out in the morn and in, in the evening.

It has the same space area as the top floor, like as the link I showed in an older post.
I have been keeping an eye on that hutch for a while trying to see what animal might live in there as I always here a jingle ball being thrown about. I was very worried about the animal last week as it was very hot and as you can see there is no shade and they had that plastic cover over the hutch the whole time.
From the reflection in the conservatory I can see they just have a washing line and their weelie bins by the back gate. I can't see a run or anything.
True it might get free range sometimes but they also have cats that like to sunbathe on top of the conservatory and the blinds are usually closed meaning they might not be able to keep an eye on him.

Step ladder, tray of paint and a paint brush. Pretend your painting the fence and get up high to peek over that fence

Step ladder, tray of paint and a paint brush. Pretend your painting the fence and get up high to peek over that fence

That would work but I am afraid there is an alley way between my row fences and the opposite houses fences. They don't touch at the ends

I still don't agree with the leaflet approach. I think going round with an excuse, like oh I noticed you have a rabbit, I have some spare feed/bedding etc and then ask them about him in a friendly way.

agree completely. The leaflet might make them think you're being preachy rather than interested. pop round - just think ur doing it for the sake of a bun. You can always take a leaflet next time.

something like 'hi, I'm little eskimo. I noticed you have a gorgeous bunny, i have buns too...'

let's hope they dont say "do we? must belong to the previous tenant. we've only been here 3 years".... !

I hope you find the courage to go around and speak to them.

I had to do this a few months ago. The fact i knew the rabbit was being kept permanently in a hutch started to depress me so much I realy had no choice in the end.

I have done this twice in the past, offering any sort of help to clean and feed and the offer of a run, but both times I ended up with the bunny:?
Not what I had planned:roll: but I love them and I have a clear concience, they are happy and so am I.:D

I hope you find the courage to go around and speak to them.

I had to do this a few months ago. The fact i knew the rabbit was being kept permanently in a hutch started to depress me so much I realy had no choice in the end.

I have done this twice in the past, offering any sort of help to clean and feed and the offer of a run, but both times I ended up with the bunny:?
Not what I had planned:roll: but I love them and I have a clear concience, they are happy and so am I.:D

Oh wow how comes they gave them to you? Did they just not want to bother with the rabbit anymore? I don't know what would happen if they gave me the rabbit :shock: he is gorgeous though

I get the idea that a lot of rabbits left to sit in hutches are not realy wanted. The children bored with them or grown up now. Or owner somehow 'inherited' the rabbit and never realy wanted it in the first place.
I did try to encourage the pervious owners of my two separate 'rescues' to keep the bunnies and I suggested things they could do to make life with thier rabbit more interesting rather than see it be a boring pet in a hutch.
But sadly the owners did not want to put the time and effort in to improving the situation.
Basically they did not want ( could not be botherd ) to look after it.!
I have been fortunate that I was in a position that I could take on an unplanned rabbit.

I do hope your neighbours are more keen to keep this bunny and will welcome advice from you.

Tbh, I'd have declared all out war if I saw pics of my garden on the internet:lol:

Yes. Especially since they haven't necessarily done anything wrong. The rabbit could be fed, watered and exercised adequately and they have someone posting pictures of their garden.

Hope you manage to chat with them today littleeskimo.

I don't have any hay that my buns don't like...so was thinking of buying some tesco hay to take over :?

Feeling very nervous.

I am thinking of saying hey I have some hay that my rabbits wont eat and I can see you have a rabbit from my bedroom window, was just wondering if youd want it, instead of having it go to waste

What do you think?

Not sure where else the conversation would let

great idea. you might want to have an answer up your sleeve if they ask why you bought hay your rabbits dont like. actually you can say you just thought you'd try it.

do let us know how you get on!

I don't have any hay that my buns don't like...so was thinking of buying some tesco hay to take over :?

Feeling very nervous.

I am thinking of saying hey I have some hay that my rabbits wont eat and I can see you have a rabbit from my bedroom window, was just wondering if youd want it, instead of having it go to waste

What do you think?

Yeah I think that's a great idea. Then maybe ask his name, how old he is etc and let it lead on from there. If they're quite chatty then it should be easy. Sometimes people are funny about being talked to though so don't be surprised.

rwaf has a letter that you can print off and put thru a neighbours door explaining what they do... that bunny looks so sad :(

eta: just seen the whole post, and i think the hay idea is a great idea :D

Buy some hay or just take some of your own...and write out where you got it from so the people can buy or order more hay themselves...tesco hay isnt great quality at all - very dusty...I think that an introduction to hay may as well be a good quality and you can explain how the stalkyness and length helps their teeth etc.;)

Def. prepare yourself - for example...imagine how the conversation will go...knock on the door, they answer - you SMILE and make eye contact and say how you saw the bunny in the hutch and you have rabbits and you wondered if you could meet him ! Say you were worried about the space and wondered if you could suggest some idea's for making their bunnies life abit happier...say how they looked gorgeous and they must really enjoy having him!

People love to hear how fabulous their pets are...so any positive comments will def. thaw any frustration the owner may show at being asked baout their pet...show you rlove and enthusiasm for rabbits and how pleased you are to see a neighbour has one to!

You can even invite them round to see your buns!:p

Dont wear sunglasses either...old folks prefer to see your face and eyes..;):thumb: youre gonna do great!

Feeling very nervous.

What do you think?

I did exactly this a few months ago. The owner was very grateful, I found out the bunny is a girl and said I often say hi to her when I'm at the end of my garden. Since then she has been cleaned more regularly and has been allowed out to play in the garden a few times. The neighbours also popped round once to let me know that Finx had got into the alleyway at the end of my garden (still secure but not allowed!) and was nosing at their bunny through the fence.

Good luck!

The plastic cover is only sat on the roof so i wouldnt say that is an issue for worry. Just pop by!

Honestly if your that worried go round and talk to them!,
DONT use the leaflet approach.
Its by far better to go and show your concern face to face..

If someone came to my house and started telling me about concerns for my rabbits welfare it would put my back up.

I think a better way than I was concerned about the size of the hutch blah blah should be thought of.

Back