• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fight happened please help

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Morning, something terrible happened this morning!! My little girl accidentally left the door open & Bella got in to Morgan’s room! I was out in the garden but heard it straight away. I can’t believe this happened. I got them separated within 4/5 seconds. I don’t think this is good news at all now & it’s ruined any chance of bonding the 2 of them. Also lastnight Morgan was thumping for a few hrs & maybe that was because of knowing Bella was there. It’s happened 2 nights now. Please can someone help & does that mean the bonding is sabotaged & that they won’t bond again because they don’t like eachother. Bella went in to him but I don’t know who started it. I’m going to check them for injuries xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also yesterday I let Morgan in the garden for exercise. I didn’t put him in bellas fenced off area or allow him access to her shed. I was out with him & let him explore. Bella was in the house in the living room at this time. Maybe I shouldn’t have done this as Iv let Bella out with me also but separate from Morgan. She’s always got a bit of free roam in the garden each day while I’m out with her out of her enclosure. I just thought Morgan needed exercise as he hardly moves from his space (he’s in kitchen) although Iv left door open he is scared so thought he would like to go in the garden. The new shed will be here on the 18th but as Morgan’s never been out I can’t put them in till it’s warmer. I have the spare room downstairs that I was keeping for the introduction of the 2. Apart from that I have Bella in living room just now & Morgan in kitchen. It’s a big kitchen so he has plenty room. I couldn’t keep them both in the bedrooms we use upstairs & I took Bella in because it’s so cold & she had been at the vets. Plus I was worried about her after she lost shadow. I suspect she may have arthritis so don’t want her out alone in the cold. I was going to use the spare room for them once bonded till spring. The pigs are in there but they have their large c&c in losure built off the ground & was going to get more grudges to make it higher so Morgan couldn’t jump in. I don’t know if the smell of them would effect the bond. Bella has vets today but don’t know where I’m to go from here with them after the fight. Do I leave it a while & try in the neutral space or now they have fought do I have to do side by side with them for a few weeks. Xx

Your number one priority is to very carefully check for wounds. Small puncture wounds are sometimes difficult to see and they can become infected.

The reaction does not necessarily mean that they don't like each other. It's a natural territorial reaction. I would let them both chill out for a little while and get Bella completely better and then reassess about bonding. It certainly doesn't mean that they will not bond in future.

Your number one priority is to very carefully check for wounds. Small puncture wounds are sometimes difficult to see and they can become infected.

The reaction does not necessarily mean that they don't like each other. It's a natural territorial reaction. I would let them both chill out for a little while and get Bella completely better and then reassess about bonding. It certainly doesn't mean that they will not bond in future.

:thumb:

I would also leave them separate until all the bonfires and fireworks have finished - it may be bothering Morgan. It could interfere with bonding if they are being spooked by other things happening around them. Wait until everything has settled back to normal and try again.

Morning omi, I’m back home now so I will check both rabbits very thoroughly for the puncture wounds. The kitchen is Morgan’s territory & he has the whole thing to himself so I guess that’s why they fought. I’m so relieved to hear there’s hope they can still bond. Yes that’s what I will do. She has vets today about lump & it could be an ongoing thing with ops & vet visits so will wait until that’s all sorted out xx

:thumb:

I would also leave them separate until all the bonfires and fireworks have finished - it may be bothering Morgan. It could interfere with bonding if they are being spooked by other things happening around them. Wait until everything has settled back to normal and try again.

Morning shimmer, we didn’t have any out where we are thankfully but tonight & tomo there will be. I know both bunnies will be scared. I’m hanging curtains back up in the sliding doors of kitchen incase a cat was coming up there & scaring him. I don’t think it was but you never know. Bella has vets today about her lump so I wasn’t planning bonding at all until that’s all sorted out. This accident happened but I’m glad there’s still hope. I’m buying stair gates today also as a precaution incase a door gets left open again. Xx

Stair gates are very useful. You may have to put something across the bars to stop bunny heads getting stuck as they are made for toddlers rather than bunnies. I've weaved sheets of card between the bars in the past as a temporary measure, but small hole wire mesh can be cable tied on to the inside as well. Mesh means that you can easily keep an eye on them, they can't chew their way out, and can see each other when bonding starts. Weldmesh looks neater as it has square holes and can be bought in flat sheets, but chicken wire would do.

Stair gates are very useful. You may have to put something across the bars to stop bunny heads getting stuck as they are made for toddlers rather than bunnies. I've weaved sheets of card between the bars in the past as a temporary measure, but small hole wire mesh can be cable tied on to the inside as well. Mesh means that you can easily keep an eye on them, they can't chew their way out, and can see each other when bonding starts. Weldmesh looks neater as it has square holes and can be bought in flat sheets, but chicken wire would do.

Hi, yes definitely need stair gates for safety. Thank you for the recommendation for between bars. I can go out today & get some mesh stuff. We have loads of chicken wire but the holes are bigger than the ones you can get with smaller ones. Morgan’s in the kitchen & Bella in the living room. I thought it was best to not let them see eachother through bars or things prior to bonding? It’s just on here done said to just put them in the neutral space they haven’t ever been for bonding? Gosh there’s so many ways isn’t there. Iv read loads & Iv watched vids. The sspca said no to the neutral space just putting them in. They said weeks of being together & a barrier. Wgat I think I will do it this. Wait a while till bellas had all her vet treatment for this lump & then I can try just putting them in spare room together for bonding. If they fight & it doesn’t work then I will try side by side for a few weeks & then try together. If it fails then can wait till spring & will have the new shed up by then. Can try again both ways but first just putting them in there. If that goes bad then I can make a partition & try that. Bellas an older girl who was only with shadow so may never accept. It’s so hard as I can’t keep getting rabbits then putting them back as only 1 rescue & sspca here. If only there was big rescues that coukd do bonding Bella with bunnies for me if it doesn’t work as Iv heard that some will do that till they find there perfect partner. Plus I think if I did the sspca would only let me do the separating bonding they said. Iv grown attached to Morgan I really have already. Will have to see what the future holds that all I can do as it’s going to take time xx

Definitely wait until all heath issues are sorted /stable, then bond. Bonding is stessful on the rabbits (and you), so any health problems will make one rabbit more vulnerable and the other will pick up on it.

Chose a method that suits you, the rabbits and whatever space you have. You do need some neutral space when they are together. Chasing and nipping are normal as they get to know each other and sort out who is boss. Fighting and locking on to each other means they need to be separated.

These days, I tend to take weeks to months to bond via mesh so they are used to each other, although I've had some bond themselves witin a couple of days.

Definitely wait until all heath issues are sorted /stable, then bond. Bonding is stessful on the rabbits (and you), so any health problems will make one rabbit more vulnerable and the other will pick up on it.

Chose a method that suits you, the rabbits and whatever space you have. You do need some neutral space when they are together. Chasing and nipping are normal as they get to know each other and sort out who is boss. Fighting and locking on to each other means they need to be separated.

These days, I tend to take weeks to months to bond via mesh so they are used to each other, although I've had some bond themselves witin a couple of days.

Hi, I’m definitely waiting till she’s all better before starting bonding. I never thought of that about the other one sending illness, thank you for that. Might be a while till I can actually try it depending on what’s wrong with Bella. Will keep everyone updated when I do go to bond. Xx

Back