• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fess up to your bunny howlers

Lots and lots!
I bought my first 3 bunnies at pet shops. My first (and beloved) bunny died to what I now know to be GI stasis - I was going to take her to the vet the next day but it was too late :cry:
Feeding them unlimited bunny muesli, not enough hay.

I did do some things right and have always had the huge run, so that's probably why they weren't hugely overweight:oops: and had them vaccs for myxi.

Since joining RU, I have learnt A LOT, and I think they are now the best looked after that I can. They certainly appear to be happy, and in good health - even abscessy Bobby. So thank you everyone!

I must admit to making a bit of a faux pas last night........I have 5 new foster babies (6 weeks old) and a mum in my large hutch which has a big sleeping compartment. Mum was stomping last night because of a cat so I went out to reasure and put some vet bed down to reduce the noise. I opened the sleeping compartment door (which is quite a lengthy and noisy process due to amount of locks) and out fell two babies....they had obviously been sleeping against the door......cue mad woman dash in her nighty around the patio trying to collect babies.

and the worst thing is it happened again this morning!!!!!!! Next time I am going to knock!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

where do i start:oops: i didnt have acees to proper internet..just a few sites via my cable and wireless cable tv box:shock:

i read books from libraries but nothing prepared me for a bun with so many illnesess and dental prob all her life..or how a false pregancy can occur when your house rabbit doe takes a fancy to your 7 yr old neuter tomcat:shock:

no advice about changing diet over...i was so thick i used to get diff foods as a treat from the everyday stuff....:oops:
but i learnt..i learnt hard and fast with her and she taught us so much..i always thought she was an unfriendly bun etc..but several buns later i relasie as does go she was affectionate and really did like me....even tho she was a sick girly and i found it so hard....

i never kept two buns together before..so bif and oscar bonding was an experience..now ive doen it several times and i think i have it nailed..not!:lol:

when oscar died horribly from stasis...and bif withdrew to what she was like when she first got to the rescue..it broke our hearts...i learnt how hard rabbits grieve.
i never relaised how much oscar was grieving when my cat was dying and we rushed her to be pts...i never knew he missed her so much until her mother had to be pts a few motnhs alter and i lost my dad too..it kiled the littel fella in the end the stress and and us being full of anger grief...etc..hes been gone almost 2 years now:cry:

ive learnt that not all buns want huge play areas as they have bunny agorphobia!!

ive lerant more about stress related illnesses from having buns than anywhere else!

so many things im too ashamed to admit...:oops:

which is why i wanted to get this book up and running and will do so eventually with the offers of help ive had on here. and link it to bunny forums....

ive learnt alesos or 10 with each bun ive owned and now i have two pairs that after unbonding new years eve i want to try and rebond as a foursome....pass the valium:lol:

ive learnt alesos or 10 with each bun ive owned and now i have two pairs that after unbonding new years eve i want to try and rebond as a foursome....pass the valium:lol:
:wave: How many bottles do you need :lol: BTW that was a very brave and moving post.

I wasnt allowed bunnies as a child :cry: When I left home at 19 I bought Alexander Graham Ears :shock: :lol: a few weeks later Guy bought me Myrtle a guinea pig to live with him :shock: :oops:

I noticed oneday Myrtle was scratching alot and we took her to the vet. She had mites. That many years ago there were no ivomec you could use at home etc so each week for 6 weeks she had to travel to the vets for a bath. Guy would go to work with briefcase in one hand and carrier in the other :lol:

My only one (but it was a big 'un!) was not doing my resesarch first about hutch size. I agreed to take the 2 bunnies on without even knowing their size. I was told they were dwarf rabbits - I couldn't believe how big they were when they turned up, and how they had been squashed into such a tiny carrier, I'll never know! :shock:. They were fat bunnies at the time, plus had their full winter coats, so looked enormous - especially to someone who was only used to guinea pigs at the time! :lol:

It was all a bit of a rush, so I found someone who made hutch/runs and ordered the largest size he advertised, which was... oh probably only about 4 foot, although it obviously also had a run attached. A very expensive mistake. :roll:

I had a rabbit and guinea pig together as a child (unspayed doe:oops:) Lucky everything was ok and because we had the guinea pig a good few years after the rabbit we got another "female" guinea pig for my lonley pig when my rabbit passed on. It wasnt female like we had been told and guess what... Yep babies. Whats worse we didnt seperate the male from the others untill after the babies were born so the poor thing got pregnant again:( I was so lucky and still greatful to my mom (wouldnt have parted with them no matter what) that I was allowed to keep all 8 babies and we had two large groups in big hutches and they had runs for on the grass.

I had Milo as a lone rabit for a year although he did get alot of attention. We moved house and had a large shed so I got Milo snipped and rescued Fizz and kept her in the shed untill Milo was ready to join her. She was in foster care with a family friend so hadnt been spayed yet and I didnt realise the importance. When Milo was ready I just picked him up and put him straight in with my unspayed doe in her shed :shock:. I was very lucky it was love at first sight and they never so much as chased each other:love:. Ill never try that again though:oops:.

I too didnt know the importance of hay and feed unlimited pellets. Milo did get hay but if he had some in his rack I wouldnt change it so it wasnt always fresh and we all know they like it fresh :lol:

I thought my first rabbit, a grey & white dutch I called Benji, was a boy-bunny... Soon after I got her, my best friend wanted a rabbit (typical :roll: ) and she got a long-ahired, lop eared REW rabbit, who was definitely male. Anyway, Benji had a run but her rabbit did not, and we used to let them play together in Benji's run while we went and did other stuff. They were never aggressive to one another. Luckily, this friend & I had a major falling out soon after and never really made friends... Otherwise, there would quite possibly have been baby bunnies. Even if they'd both been boys, as we'd thought, a big fight would have broken out when they'd matured. o.x Eeek.

we had a bunny who was fed muesli, he had a 4 foot hutch but he did have a 6 foot x 4 foot run 24/7, and he lives until he was nearly 10:shock:

I dont know to be honest, my Mum is 71 though so it was a longggggggggg time ago, I will have to ask her :roll:

Bought three guinea pigs to keep Wesley company.

We just fell in love with all three of them and this was before we discovered that bunnies and piggies aren't a great mix. Glad we bought all three since they all live together now whilst Wesley is still a single house bunny living in my bedroom :roll:
Also bought Samuel from P@H as a half impulse buy half expecting him and Wesley to be friends. They never became friends ^^ So I have two single male house wabbits now! Lil' Bonnie, my only female bunny recently became a widow :)() so she should be keeping one of my male bunnies company!

Back