• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling guilty

char2609

New Kit
When I separated from my husband in May I had to leave my three cats behind. I moved back in with my parents and my brother was living with us at the time and he had a cat so it seemed unfair to upset the status quo when my three could continue living at their house with my ex.

I accepted this but found myself very lonely and felt a that I missed the company of animals. However with another highly strung cat in the house it seemed wrong to get another cat myself so I found my beautiful Blossom, a ten week old Dutch rabbit. She lived in my bedroom in a large indoor pen and although she is quite a grumpy rabbit she will come and see you and accept being stroked.

I went back to the rescue to get her an outdoor hutch and run as they renovate them and it seemed far better to give my money to a charity than pets at home for example. She spends her days outside with fresh grass and then I bring her in overnight.

The thing is when I went to the rescue that day, they had a ten week old kitten in on his own and I absolutely fell in love. With a naturally big heart when it comes to animals, Harvey joined the family as my brother announced he was moving out and taking his cat with him.

I've tried my abosolute best to do right by each pet and they each have the best life I can provide. I've tried to introduce them but Harvey has a lot of kitten energy so I am very wary of how he interacts with Blossom.

My parents are due to have some renovation works which means my current arrangements for keeping bunny and kitty separated overnight will come to an abrupt end. My Dad is letting me have the summerhouse to build Blossom a lovely, big outdoor home and this should be finished next weekend.

This is where the guilt comes in. I hate myself for it but I have for found myself spending more time with Harvey and Blossom has been getting a raw deal when it comes to contact. She's quite grumpy and territorial so I think this has made me nervous, I know it's about patience and time so I hope her having her own large space away from the house will actually make it easier for me to go and spend time with her as I won't have a crying kitten in the next room.

She's coming up six months and I have a few days off coming up, aside from the health benefits, would getting her spayed help with the overall grumpiness or have I potentially just adopted a naturally grumpy rabbit?

Also, I would like to get her a friend, however my parents say she'll be fine alone as they've had rabbits before on their own. But knowing I've been lacking in the interaction department I hate the idea of her being alone for long periods of time. They are unlikely to be happy about me getting another pet whilst I live with them, however should I push this point harder with them?

I know deep down I am a good pet owner on most points...my pets have lots of space, toys and quality food but certainly with Harvey being so young I'm feeling really bad that Blossom is coming in second through no fault of her own. Any advice for me?

Yes, getting her spayed will almost certainly help;)

Also on the plus side for you, once she is spayed you can get her a husbun then when you are unable to spend much time with her she will have the companionship of her friend.

Also most bonded bunnies are more fun to watch than one on it's own, my guys are hilarious:lol:

ETA sorry missed the bit about your parents, let them have a look on the photo section here, I bet they will change their minds!
Rabbits always used to be kept on their own (common argument), but people are begining to realise that things can change and be better for it;)

Last edited:
I just thought I would tell u that I recently adopted a female rabbit who was very territorial, aggressive and like u said generally grumpy! After she was spayed she changed immediately!! This was about 6wks ago now and she is a totally different rabbit! She is still a bit nervous about being picked up but she's the easiest of my 3!! I'm amazed at how much she changed, she's a sweetheart. Unfortunately she didn't bond with my pair so I am looking at getting a boy bunny friend for her and a better set up with more space and permanent run access as I am in a similar situation where I'm at work all day and hate to think of her just sat alone :( I would def get ur bunny spayed ASAP and try and convince ur parents that a friend for her is important, after all it won't really make a difference if they'll be living together :wave:

Thank you both. I think I will get her spayed when I have those days off...can't do it any sooner as I don't have the cash and I work I the opposite direction to the vets so I need a day off to fit in with their drop off, pick up times.

Hopefully it'll help. I'll keep working on the parents too ;)

Thank you both. I think I will get her spayed when I have those days off...can't do it any sooner as I don't have the cash and I work I the opposite direction to the vets so I need a day off to fit in with their drop off, pick up times.

Hopefully it'll help. I'll keep working on the parents too ;)

Aw good luck with her :thumb: I hope u c the changes like I have and be able to build a better relationship with her :wave:

You could always remind your parents about the Animal Welfare Act which says that animals should have the company of their own kind if that's what the species requires ;).

Duty of person responsible for animal to ensure welfare(1)A person commits an offence if he does not take such steps as are reasonable in all the circumstances to ensure that the needs of an animal for which he is responsible are met to the extent required by good practice.
(2)For the purposes of this Act, an animal's needs shall be taken to include—
(a)its need for a suitable environment,
(b)its need for a suitable diet,
(c)its need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns,
(d)any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals, and

(e)its need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

Part of normal rabbit behaviour is mutual grooming, which a lone rabbit cannot do. Also, rabbits live in groups in the wild and should therefore live in at least pairs in captivity (OR be able to spend several hours a day with a human caregiver).

Last edited:
Mackers I appreciate your point and I believe it was posted tongue in cheek however I think it's perhaps a bit extreme to raise with the people who have scooped me back up after my marriage broke down and are letting me live with them rent free indefinitely, pets included. I'll take a softer approach and after all my current adoptions have already won them over so I'm probably in with a good chance anyway with a bit of polite persistence ;)

First things first, I'll get her spayed and see how she is afterwards. Once we've sorted that out and got her in her new summerhouse I'll raise the idea of a husbun again and go from there.

Back