• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eric - urgent visit to vets -U/D he seems fine now thanks

Hello
I went out to the boys this morning, as usual about 7.30am and Ernie was standing at the door waiting for me as he always does. But Eric wasn't.
I went and got their veggies, but Eric just sat under his chair. And then he went and flopped in his hutch!!. This was not my Eric.He loves his food. I got him out and he let me cuddle him. Again, Not my Eric - he doesn;t really do cuddles.
I went and woke my Husband and he came and took a look. We thought, they may have had a restless night (it's quite noisey where we live), but Ernie was fine.
Eric went to his litter tray, but just sat there. I don't think he did anything!:(
He looked so sleepy and let me stroke him.
Ernie kept going to him and grooming him.

I called the vet and took hin down straight away.
He was examined and vet put a thermometer up his Bottom.He said he was quite cold, and his tummy was Empty!!!
He has had, an anaelgesic (sp) and an injected anitbiotic and I have to take him back tomorrow at 9.30am.

1 hour later he has eaten some hay, and hopping around a little, but still no poos or wees, and I am keeping a close eye on him.

Please can we have some vibes for Eric.
I am so worried for him. Ernie keeps on grooming him, so he knows Eric is not well!!!

I just hope we have caught him in time.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Did he have a gut stimulant too? :?

Hope he is feeling better soon. x

Hello
I'm not sure!!:oops::oops:
I know he had 2 injections, but I don't know if one was a gut stimulant.
I have some recovery food at home, which I have mixed into a watery solution, but Eric won't take it. I may make it into some little balls and see if he will eat that.

I have to say, he did seem so much better an hour after the vets, but I don't think we;re out of the woods yet.

I left them both alone about 10 mins ago. They were snuggled up and grooming each other, but will go out again in a minute. Just to check on them.

:cry::cry:

Can I suggest you call your vets and check, if he hasn't had one then ask why not.

Generally, with the exception of a suspected blockage, Metaclopromide (or Maxolon) is always given to a rabbit suffering from a GI Stasis....it helps to get the gut moving again and to stimulate the appetite and encourage the rabbit to start eating voluntarily, which is so much better for them than force feeding.

He is probably feeling brighter due to the analgesic.

If his guts are empty metoclopromide may not be appropriate. The Vet may have heard good gut sounds and giving metoclop when the guts are empty can cause lots of pain and be counterproductive in the long-run.

I would make sure Eric is nice and warm. He wont be able to maintain his own temperature whilst he is feeling poorly. Also try to tempt him to eat by offering him small amounts of his favorite food. Offering him some cooled boiled water, or better still some cool Camomile and Mint Tea would be a good idea.

Sending vibes for him :)

Hello
Thanks for the advice.
Eric has eaten some hay and some spring greens and some treats!!! So heading in the right direction.
They always have cooled boiled water, so have changed it again now.
My hubbie is in there at the moment keeping an eye on them. Still waiting for a visit to the litter tray (unless that's happened while I am here)

He's moving around quite a bit now too!
Am just going to fill a hot water bottle and put under their bedding on the floor of the shed. (They have 2 carpet tiles, covered with a towel and lots of hay on top)

Will update you all shortly, once I've been out again!!

Thanks again

Vibes coming from Twickenham to your buns. We are hoping that lots of poos arrive shortly and the food disappears.

Have you tried herbs, fresh cut grass and grated veg.

Hello
Thanks for the advice.
Eric has eaten some hay and some spring greens and some treats!!! So heading in the right direction.
They always have cooled boiled water, so have changed it again now.
My hubbie is in there at the moment keeping an eye on them. Still waiting for a visit to the litter tray (unless that's happened while I am here)

He's moving around quite a bit now too!
Am just going to fill a hot water bottle and put under their bedding on the floor of the shed. (They have 2 carpet tiles, covered with a towel and lots of hay on top)

Will update you all shortly, once I've been out again!!

Thanks again

Hopefully now he's eating again poo will soon be produced :)

Hello
well Eric seems to be making a slow recovery.
He has been to the toilet this afternoon. Small poos, but at least there are some!!
He has eaten hay and veggies and is hopping around as normal. He is even been nipping Ernies bum bum if he's in the way of food. So even though I don't like him nipping Ernie, its a sign he's on the mend.

Incidently, Ernie has been a little Doctor all day. He's been by Erics side and grooming him much more than normal - I'm sure he knew his brother was unwell.

We're back to the vet in the morning, so hopefully, he will confirm the little monsters tummy is full and back in full working order.

Thanks again all!!

Hello

Just to let you know that we took Eric back to the vet this morning (as requested) and he has had another 2 injections (the same as yesterday) and we have been advised to give him 0.4ml of Baytril once a day.

He appears to be back to normal thank goodness.
I am so pleased I went out yesterday morning when I did. Who knows at what time it all started.
If it hadn't been for this forum, I would never have known how urgent the situation was. I would have just assumed he was tired.

So thank you all again for the vibes and kind thoughts.

Back