• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Enya- First Ever Experience of Longterm Metacam Causing Problems

I can't remember an exact dose sorry- she was on that many different meds by the end! She was a big French lop so it was a big dose to match the size of her. When she was eventually Pts she had no use of her back legs, was eating minimal food, loss of bladder control, odd poos and was generally miserable. The vet tried everything to help her eat- dentals, gut stimulates etc but nothing worked.

I can't remember an exact dose sorry- she was on that many different meds by the end! She was a big French lop so it was a big dose to match the size of her. When she was eventually Pts she had no use of her back legs, was eating minimal food, loss of bladder control, odd poos and was generally miserable. The vet tried everything to help her eat- dentals, gut stimulates etc but nothing worked.

thank you for your reply. you must miss her alot x

After Daisy we said we would never get another rabbit again because we were devastated. That plan didn't last long though- bunnies are too fabulous! Our new rabbit Darcy is wrecking the house as i type!

After Daisy we said we would never get another rabbit again because we were devastated. That plan didn't last long though- bunnies are too fabulous! Our new rabbit Darcy is wrecking the house as i type!

i can imagine :( i've said no more after bisc if he stays single, because i can't imagine how i'll cope with the pain once he's gone, especially after losing matt aswell. but you never know - i also struggle to imagine my life without bunnies in it. they're just amazing.

darcy sounds like a character :lol:

I eventually came to the conclusion that the bunnies of the world need more daft owners like me who buy them overpriced posh hay and let them wreck there house! I still miss Daisy but it's great to have a different wee character in my life now.

Silly question but how do you administer the tramadol?

I found the best way to prepare it was to put the tablet into one of those conical coffee measures-scoops and to dissolve it in only a few drops of water. It will dissolve so there's no need to crush the tablet first. Then I sucked up a tiny amount of honey into the feeding syringe and squelched it back and forwards a few times with the tramadol-water mixture to mix it all thoroughly.

The conical scoops mean that you can concentrate the tramadol-water-honey mixture into a very small volume and suck it all up in about 0.3ml or 0.4ml so it all goes down the rabbit in one dose.

I see someone else uses apple juice, which I would think would work just as well as honey as a sweetener.

I'm sorry to hear that your rabbit is having gut problems, Jane and I do hope he gets better soon on the new medication x

However, I posted on a thread ages ago that my vet said metacam can cause more problems than it can help, which is why I never now self-administer metacam at home when Thumper goes into colic/stasis but I immediately take her to the vet instead for injectable pain relief, but was ignored :?.

I'm sorry to hear that your rabbit is having gut problems, Jane and I do hope he gets better soon on the new medication x

However, I posted on a thread ages ago that my vet said metacam can cause more problems than it can help, which is why I never now self-administer metacam at home when Thumper goes into colic/stasis but I immediately take her to the vet instead for injectable pain relief, but was ignored :?.

I doubt anyone deliberately ignored you, perhaps just an innocent oversight :)

My 'Ignore' list is very small and you are not on it :lol:

After all, who would I have to disagree with on all the Political threads if I did that :lol:

Last edited:
I doubt anyone deliberately ignored you, perhaps just an innocent oversight :)

My 'Ignore' list is very small and you are not on it :lol:

After all, who would I have to disagree with on all the Political threads if I did that :lol:

Fair enough :)

I meant my comment was ignored, as in no-one was like "oh really, thanks for the warning?" type of thing, that was all, but now that you've said it everyone's like "oh really, thanks for the warning" ... ;)

And I hope you don't ignore me - I love our heated debates :lol: (they give us something to do :lol:) and I know we don't hold grudges against each other or take things personally as nothing's ever meant that way and there's no point in holding a grudge as life's too short! :)

Fair enough :)

I meant my comment was ignored, as in no-one was like "oh really, thanks for the warning?" type of thing, that was all, but now that you've said it everyone's like "oh really, thanks for the warning" ... ;)

And I hope you don't ignore me - I love our heated debates :lol: (they give us something to do :lol:) and I know we don't hold grudges against each other or take things personally as nothing's ever meant that way and there's no point in holding a grudge as life's too short! :)

Too flippin' right !!

Back