• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergency vets with dobbin - and again this morning - what do i do??

I really feel for you here.
Dobbin HAS to have plenty of fluid, injected under the skin or through a vein if necessary. He needs his gut to move too. I know the problems of bonding, but in this situation I personally feel he needs to stay in.

Have they given him more pain relief and have they checked his mouth again for ulcers which can develope AFTER a Dental ?

He was given an injection when we first got there - not sure what it was. The nurse i spoke to earlier said they had checked everything and they dont know why he is not eating. I am phoning back in a few minutes to see how he is.

Sue
xx

Sorry everybody - my laptop's hard disk went wrong so i had to wait for hubby to fit a new one. How is everyone? Dobbin was in the vets for two nights which was awful for poor Twinkle - i didnt enjoy it much either. How ever as soon as he came home he was a sbright as a button. My goodness did i miss him. Thank you all so so so much for your kind words and vibes, i can't begin to tell you how much that meant to me!

Sue
xx

PLeased Dobbin is home! I know how stressful dealing with rabbits who won't swalllow is! one of mine is a ****** for it and he always refuses to eat for three days after a dental :(

One thing I have found that entices dental buns to eat is to give them small amount of muesli mix rabbit food if they normally have pellets. It's not exactly good to just give them an unknown food, but some food is better than no food. It's worked with all of my dental buns and I think possibly save their life! a spoonful of dry porridge oats too sometimes tempts them.

Delighted that Dobbin is home. The house seems so empty when mine is away.
I reckon that any bruising or ulcers from spurs still hurts after a dental, & the jaw must be a bit stiff too. Just wonder if your vet gives pain relief as a routine after a dental for a couple of days? - Metacam. May just help.

Sorry about your computer - glad you're back on line!

All the best, Judy & Thumper.

Back