• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah & Artie not well P45 Elijah's re-admitted! Home.UD Elijah has found his spark

Oh dear, has he eaten something that didn't agree with him? Sending him nose rubs. :love:

Thank you.

I feel really stupid now as he's busy nomming.

He was right at the back of his pen (right at the back in the dark under the shelf)where he only goes if he isn't well. He was also flopping/rolling which again he only does if he has belly ache. I can only guess he managed to pass some gas whilst I was planning my next move. He also wouldn't come to me which is only something he does when he's not well.

... so either he's better or I've now lost my marbles :shock: :oops::oops:

U/D Monday 8th

Elijah came home yesterday and same pattern as last time - quite bright throughout, he was bright when I saw him during the night and nibbling hay. at about 7.30 is this morning he suddenly looked miserable and has done mostly since :cry: He's picking at food and does have the odd enthusiastic spurt but he's really not happy.

I really am exhausted now. He's eaten a reasonable amount just in the last hour but he is just so miserable looking. I've decided to attempt to syringe feed him rather than take him to the vets if he doesn't eat enough.

I've put Esme in the pen next to him in case he's miserable for being on his own. Fortunately she seems quite happy but he doesn't seem greatly bothered :?

Some 'no more stasis' vibes would be greatly appreciated as he's borderline heading there at the moment.

Sending loads of no stasis vibes and hoping Elijah's appetite picks up and you don't need to head back to the vets with him. x

Sending loads of no stasis vibes and hoping Elijah's appetite picks up and you don't need to head back to the vets with him. x

:love: Thank you. He's just eaten a few more little pieces. I really hope I can keep him going. I can't bear him looking so miserable when he's normally such a happy little soul.

Sorry to be late in adding my vibes! :wave:

Thank you.

Update.

I spent a lot of time hand feeding Elijah on Monday evening and got up 3 times during the night to make sure he was still on track. He'd eaten a bit more each time. He seemed bright most of the day on Tuesday. Today he was okay early on and I thought we had a good recovery going then, again late morning, he started looking really unhappy again. He's looked unhappy ever since though is eating bits. I keep waving bits of food under his nose and he has eaten bits spontaneously but he just looks so flipping miserable :cry::cry: I really don't know what to do for him now. The theory was he was miserable because of being in pain from not eating - can't be that now because he's been eating quite well for nearly 48 hours. He's poops are nearly normal size too. Just what do I have to do to make him happy? :cry::cry::cry:

In what way does he look miserable? Grumpy or depressed kind of miserable?

Miserable as in 'no spark'. He's an extremely friendly bunny and I would expect him to run over to the side of his pen on seeing me in the distance. To be climbing up the pen when I approach him. At the moment you can be a few inches from him on the other side of the divide trying to get his attention and he's just not taking any notice, not even turning his head. There is a spark occasionally. I've just been hand feeding him ripped up pieces of spring green and he really enjoyed it and was ready for each piece and looked enthusiastic. I snuggled him earlier and I could hear his teeth chattering but a lot of the time he lets me but I'm getting no response from him. I stop, he'd normally nudge or lick me - nothing, no encouragement, like he's really not bothered either way. This is since about 11.00 am so I'm still hopeful he will be bright at some point later today. He ate all his Excel from last night which really surprised me. I hope this is just a little dip and not a huge setback.

I have wondered if he is finding my house cold, maybe it's warmer at the vets. I have a heater on to improve it, in case it is that.

You might see an improvement in the evening. Lots of buns are a bit sleepy in the afternoon. All the same, I can understand and sympathise with you worrying as you know what's 'normal' behaviour for him better than anyone. You could check with the vet about temperature, if that's a concern? He's been through a lot (as have you!) so maybe his bodyclock is a bit upset, or he has become disorientated frrom his stay at the vet. I'm not experienced, so guessing a bit here, but it is possible that he's picking up on your anxiety - maybe try pretending to be more relaxed than you actually are, and see if he responds to that?

You might see an improvement in the evening. Lots of buns are a bit sleepy in the afternoon. All the same, I can understand and sympathise with you worrying as you know what's 'normal' behaviour for him better than anyone. You could check with the vet about temperature, if that's a concern? He's been through a lot (as have you!) so maybe his bodyclock is a bit upset, or he has become disorientated frrom his stay at the vet. I'm not experienced, so guessing a bit here, but it is possible that he's picking up on your anxiety - maybe try pretending to be more relaxed than you actually are, and see if he responds to that?

He's totally different. He's never really done 'ignore the human' when he's in snooze mode. He's just really sociable. There's a marked difference between his and the other bunnies' general demeanour. Thanks for 'listening' though and trying to come up with answers. There has been a noticable 'dip' though when he has been at his worst in late morning so there could be something in the daytime variations thing. Thinking back to when Artie was getting through stasis though Elijah probably compares with that and he's just having a setback because of moving to and fro. As for the anxiety thing - I'm always anxious so there should be no difference to him there then! :lol::lol::? Seriously though, I work hard on the calm happy pretence around him as I'm sure it can have an impact on them. It's probably just going to take time.

I don't know what to suggest but can understand your concern. :( Is he eating well without any tempting from you, or is he only really eating if you wave the food under his nose?

I don't know what to suggest but can understand your concern. :( Is he eating well without any tempting from you, or is he only really eating if you wave the food under his nose?

Yesterday (from Monday pm until middle of this morning) he was eating really well, all day yesterday I didn't need to wave food at him.

This afternoon while I was at work he ate a fair bit of spring greens. I'm finding I spend about 10 minutes with him tempting him and then when I back away he's eating bits around him. I'm loathe to take him back as FHB was 99.9% sure that stress was all that was wrong with him, although if stress was enough to stop him eating completely then taking him back was obviously going to be the right course of action. I'm still hopeful that he just needs time and patience but I think you have to keep in the back (preferably back) of your mind that there could be something else.

Edit to add: He was at vets for total of about 8 days so they had plenty of chance to assess and monitor him. They see plenty of rabbits and know the score so I guess it's just down to me to make him feel relaxed.

Last edited:
Elijah found his spark during the night :D Not to say he won't have another dip but at the moment he's being 'Elijah' :D:D

I kipped on the floor and he was bright between midnight and 3.30 - by then my feet were like ice and the inflatable mattress was saggy so I went to my proper bed. I visited Elijah at about 5.00 and he greeted me :love::love: Same this morning. He was being quite active when I observed him too. He went to eat pellets at about 1.00 am and did some hay and dried herb foraging. Hopefully no more dips but it's just great to have him well for now :love::love:

Last edited:
Oh that's good news Alison. :love: Hopefully he'll be back to himself completely now and you can get back to just enjoying your bunnies. :D:D

Thanksies. I went to see Elijah a while ago and he spent about 10 minutes grooming my head :love::love: I had to push him off eventually as he was getting too much :lol::lol: He's definitely got his spark back :love::love:

Aww, that's so sweet! Glad Elijah has found his spark again, I hope he keeps it now :D

Back