• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Echinacea/Coneflower same thing? Safe as a regular treat? Can it be fed fresh?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hey :)
I've just been looking on ebay at someone who sells seeds intended to be grown for pets, and I'm thinking of ordering the dandelion seeds and timothy seeds. But I noticed they also sell seeds that they say are Coneflower/Echinacea (suggesting they're both the same thing?). I've seen coneflower as a dried treat, though I've never used it myself as I don't like to use anything for the bunnies unless I'm 100% sure it's safe. But I didn't know it seems to be the same thing as echinacea? :oops: Is coneflower just a common name for echinacea or are they two separate plants?
I'm curious as I have one sneezy bunny, Lunar, and Honey, our latest addition to the family, has snuffles (currently on Baytril though she's nearly completed her course, will be going for a check up on Wednseday). I've heard a few people suggest giving snuffle bunnies echinacea as it boosts the immune system and can work as an antibiotic but I wasn't sure if the otc stuff was safe or how much to give so I never really pursued it.

I'm just wondering if it's worth growing it? Can they have it fresh or does it have to be dried? Can they have the whole plant or just the leaves or flower? Is it something that should be used rarely or is it safe as a treat fairly regularly?
Since it would obviously take a while to grow I was considering getting some dried coneflower treats (I noticed Rosewood do one - it says it's the leaves, flowers and stalk - and so do The Hay Experts) but would this be safe for Honey while she's still on Baytril?

I've not seen anything against echinacea online so far but did come across this about coneflower:
http://www.onlinerabbitcare.com/can-rabbits-eat-cone-flowers/ It suggests it's not safe? Or is it talking about a different subspecies or something (sorry, I know nothing about plants :lol::oops:)
Here are the seeds I was thinking of buying if it helps: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shelled-W...hash=item53fa44a596:m:m4yC1jMZqN5xdivAv9WlF5Q
In the listing it suggests coneflower and echinacea are the same thing so I'm guessing they are?

Hey :)
I've just been looking on ebay at someone who sells seeds intended to be grown for pets, and I'm thinking of ordering the dandelion seeds and timothy seeds. But I noticed they also sell seeds that they say are Coneflower/Echinacea (suggesting they're both the same thing?). I've seen coneflower as a dried treat, though I've never used it myself as I don't like to use anything for the bunnies unless I'm 100% sure it's safe. But I didn't know it seems to be the same thing as echinacea? :oops: Is coneflower just a common name for echinacea or are they two separate plants?
I'm curious as I have one sneezy bunny, Lunar, and Honey, our latest addition to the family, has snuffles (currently on Baytril though she's nearly completed her course, will be going for a check up on Wednseday). I've heard a few people suggest giving snuffle bunnies echinacea as it boosts the immune system and can work as an antibiotic but I wasn't sure if the otc stuff was safe or how much to give so I never really pursued it.

I'm just wondering if it's worth growing it? Can they have it fresh or does it have to be dried? Can they have the whole plant or just the leaves or flower? Is it something that should be used rarely or is it safe as a treat fairly regularly?
Since it would obviously take a while to grow I was considering getting some dried coneflower treats (I noticed Rosewood do one - it says it's the leaves, flowers and stalk - and so do The Hay Experts) but would this be safe for Honey while she's still on Baytril?

I've not seen anything against echinacea online so far but did come across this about coneflower:
http://www.onlinerabbitcare.com/can-rabbits-eat-cone-flowers/ It suggests it's not safe? Or is it talking about a different subspecies or something (sorry, I know nothing about plants :lol::oops:)
Here are the seeds I was thinking of buying if it helps: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shelled-W...hash=item53fa44a596:m:m4yC1jMZqN5xdivAv9WlF5Q
In the listing it suggests coneflower and echinacea are the same thing so I'm guessing they are?

Yes echinacea is the same as coneflower, and it can be fed regularly and fresh or dried :thumb: It's very safe to have whilst a rabbit is on Baytril, and will enhance the immune system so that the antibiotics can work better.

Yes, both the same plant. It's also a perennial, so once you've grown it, it should come up again every year. We've got it in the garden and I let the rabbits have both the leaves and flowers fresh. There's never enough left to dry!

That's great, I'll order some seeds then! I might get some dry as well and see if they like it but definitely one to add to the growing list! Thank you both :D

Back