• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC, Weight loss, low bloods & abscess..the list goes on!

Good, well at least you've got the eating bit covered!

If you don't do the antirobe, what are your plans to tackle the abscess?

Btw I don't think you were petty at all to ring your vet! They ought to know where their shortcomings are so they can improve (one would hope!)

My vets were optimistic that her bloods would continue to increase and she'd be well enough for surgery in a week or so, but then yesterday she pointed out that it was still a risky procedure for Moo, so I don't really know now. Moo was due her follow up visit at Chine House tomorrow anyway and Craig had said we would look at her bloods, and perhaps do a full body x-ray and see how her abscess is looking, so maybe he'll have a plan tomorrow.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with it today, I just don't know what's happening with her and I don't know what to do to help her and I just want to know if she'll get better. She's only a baby still, she's not even 1 yet.
She's got this abscess, they've no idea how deep it is or what problems its causing etc, she's had uveitis and may or may not have EC, there's scarring in her eyes, and she has some neurological issue causing her pupils to be different sizes, There's issues with RBC/WBC, now her stomach has problems again, she's barely eating and they think there's an impaction. And now she seems in pain again, isn't moving much and looks generally unwell.
I just wish we had some definitive answers and knew what the underlying cause was and a treatment plan that works. Hoping tomorrows vet visit brings about some action to help her.

We've been to see Craig this morning and the second I uttered "antirobe" he started shaking his head. So I can't thank those of you enough who pointed out it's dangers to me. He said her abdomen feels quite solid so we're going with Ranitidine, cisapride and critical care for now, no more antibiotics until her tummy settles down again. The antirobe and tummy issues starting at the exact same time may be a coincidence but we'll never know. He said only a tiny amount would need to be ingested to cause trouble so it's probably the likely cause.
Still can't X-ray the abscess area as she's still too poorly for anaesthetic. And he still thinks it will need cutting out.
Back on Saturday to see him again.

Thank you so so much for highlighting the dangers of antirobe to me, I dread to think what could have happened.

We've been to see Craig this morning and the second I uttered "antirobe" he started shaking his head. So I can't thank those of you enough who pointed out it's dangers to me. He said her abdomen feels quite solid so we're going with Ranitidine, cisapride and critical care for now, no more antibiotics until her tummy settles down again. The antirobe and tummy issues starting at the exact same time may be a coincidence but we'll never know. He said only a tiny amount would need to be ingested to cause trouble so it's probably the likely cause.
Still can't X-ray the abscess area as she's still too poorly for anaesthetic. And he still thinks it will need cutting out.

Thank you so so much for highlighting the dangers of antirobe to me, I dread to think what could have happened

You are welcome, I must admit I took a sharp intake of breath when you posted about it. I really hope that your poor Bunny's tummy will improve very soon xx

Thank you so so much for highlighting the dangers of antirobe to me, I dread to think what could have happened.

I am so relieved I can't tell you!

I'm sorry for pestering you online and by PM about the antirobe, but it was so on my mind. It has happened to me, with a vet who gave penicillin by mouth to one of my rabbits. I know the consequences and I don't doubt that it was the cause of her not eating.

Well done you for holding out on that one :D

Vibes for you both x

Back