• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.cuniculi and toxoplazmosis

AnjaSanja

Warren Scout
Hello!

I'm opening new thread in health department :)

SO Brko has both in acute phase. We are treating with Panacur for 28 days and Loxicom, Novasul, Primotren (trimetoprim/sulfametoksazol) for 14 days.

Signs were over the night. He did not eat and started hoing, moving so weirdly, confused in circle. The next weird thing was, he ate from syrange happily but I had to support him. He ate small piece of raspberry....SO that gave me and idea that this time we are dealing with different situation and not teeth problem. Next morning at the vet. x-rays show no problem with spine, legs, teeth were OK, bloodwork was fine, but they send for testing e.cuniculi and toxoplasmosis. We started therapy due to clinical signs withouth waiting.....and here we are now.

He started to tilt head slightly yesterday, so I'm in contact with the vet if we prolong antibiotics and antinflamatory for time being. Perhaps another week or two.

Any experiences with both? I have more information on e.cuniculi and not as much on toxoplasmosis. I'm also buying some bun vitamins that both buns will get. as support to the imune system, and probiotich for gut.

Sorry to hear that Brko is unwell. Have you had the test results back yet ?

Middle ear infection can present in a very similar way to EC so personally until a definitive diagnosis is established I would definitely want to continue with the antibiotics as well as the Panacur and Loxicom. With both EC and middle ear infections the symptoms can get a lot worse before they improve again. Some Rabbits can fall over, roll and/or have seizures. If this happens it is obviously distressing, but recovery is still possible. It might take many months of ongoing nursing care though and the Rabbit could be left with some head tilt. The important thing is to make sure the Rabbit keeps eating and pooping to avoid secondary gut stasis. A medication that can help reduce dizziness can be useful in some cases, when rolling and balance problems occur. Medication such a Prochlorperazine or Cetrazine.

This link gives some useful advice about caring for Rabbits with head tilt

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

I have no personal experience of Toxoplasmosis in Rabbits. But there is some information here

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Toxoplasm/Toxo_rab_en.pdf

Just yesterday vet called with results. Both present in acute state. They did looked his ears. He has very mild head tilt. Just slightly. Thanks for the links.

Back