• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Double or triple hutches for giant rabbits? update

mashpotato

Young Bun
We're moving house in a few weeks. The landlady has asked if we can put our pets outside, where as they were inside animals. As Peppa is a british giant i have been searching for ages for the right type of accomodation for her and George a average sized lop.
The house already has a large shed probably 8ft by 4ft, i would put them loose in there but peppa chews wood constantly and the landlady wouldn't be impressed if her shed was suddenly full of holes. I don't think theres enough room for another shed, and was wondering if i got a double or triple hutch of 6ft would this give them enough room?

I did find this one http://www.gardenwoodcraft.co.uk//Hutches/EG.htm that says its rscpa specifications but i think its only 5ft long

welcoming any ideas, getting desperate

Last edited:
A bit cheeky but is there no way you can use the existing shed and (if it does get a bit wrecked) replace it or pay for it when you leave? You could try and arrange this with the Landlady that you can make whatever alterations you want as long as you provide a shed of equal size/value when you leave the property so she is not out of pocket. Some landlords are nice and reasonable and will allow you to do this (as long as they get it in writing) some have either been burned in the past or are simply too strict to allow it.

It saves the hassle of trying to figure something else out in the meantime or trying to cram too much into the garden.

When we visited the landlady showed us round and her current tenant had a double hutch in the shed for his lop which she didn't know were in there. She said if she'd know the hutch was there she would have asked him to cover the floor as she didn't like the sawdust and odd poo's that had fallen out on the shed floor. i mentioned putting lino down as it's easy to clean which she agreed. I did think about buying it much bigger than the floor space so it goes several feet up each wall but i didn't know if peppa would chew that too. Might have to see if landlady would let us cover the walls with some thin board. Could really afford to replace one that size probably about £500.

8x6 sheds can cost as little as £200-£250 so maybe not as much as you think to replace.

How much space do you have in the garden and what is your budget?

Maybe a dog kennel and run would work? Or an aviary with a hutch or playhouse inside? If you absolutely have to go for a hutch I'd say you need a custom made 7x3x3' with very large run or free range time preferably for a giant as they really shouldn;t be in hutches.

Could you maybe buy the shed off her? As its used she may only want £100-200ish for it, which would be the same amount you would spend on a rabbit hutch, nevermind the shed-proofing, run space etc.

I spoke to the landlady to day and she thinks the shed is actually 6 by 8ft, shes going to measure it for me.

After reading all your replys, i've decided to construct an area to build within the shed that will have wooden sides, wooden floor with lino on and a door so we can get in and out. I'm going to make 12 2ft by 4ft panels so i can transport them in my car and screw them together inside the shed making an area of 6ft by 6ft and 4ft high, then we can store their food in the spare 2ft. I've priced up the wood in wickes and it should be about £40. Once we're settled i'll add a tunnel to a run (need them to walk there and back as Peppa don't like being picked up and gets quite aggresive).

Now i just need to get the landlady to let me go there a couple of days before so it can be ready, as we need to take apart the tempory home and take it to the tip. Hopefully i can put the rabbits in there the afternoon before as we also need to move our ferrets, their hutch will go in the removal van but we only have one pet basket. if we can move everything in one trip it will be so much better than me driving back and forth, especially as our toddler will be with his nan and 5yr old at school so i've got to do those journeys as well and make sure our current home is cleaned for the landlord.:roll:

thank you everyone for your advice

This is Peppa in our current garden earlier

CIMG3609.jpg

This is George enjoying the lawn

CIMG3612.jpg

Last edited:
Back