• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't forget to Rear Guard!

Yes that is what I have used :thumb:

I think anything that helps to prevent the likelihood of flies getting to them can only be a good thing. I haven't done my attached runs as I don't feel that's necessary ( there are no litter trays/muck in them and my rabbits are not incontinent or elderly) but I have just done the main door into the shed as it's large and would definitely be where flies would enter.

Ok, thanks. I'll add it to the list for the garden after payday :) I'm thinking of getting a cheap and simple gazebo next month too for some extra shade.

Also, does anyone know if I can burn citronella candles near the buns? Obviously out of reach!

I wouldn't put rear guard on a healthy, clean rabbit....it potent stuff and I don't see the point. You are far better ensuring your bun doesn't get a messy bun in the first place!

Yes I use a beapher spray for those that are at medium risk and only need the occasional wash. But for those that are incontinent and need daily washing I don't use anything as there is nothing that would work on them

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but how is that spray used? Didn't seem to have any instructions on the website that I could see!

Ok, thanks. I'll add it to the list for the garden after payday :) I'm thinking of getting a cheap and simple gazebo next month too for some extra shade.

Also, does anyone know if I can burn citronella candles near the buns? Obviously out of reach!

Not sure about the candles but I wouldn't risk it. What I did is got some little bags (mesh jewellery bags) about 5x5cm and put a few cotton balls splashed with citronella in the shed. I only needed one as I overdosed a bit on the citronella :oops:! But I know it does a great job at keeping them away and it's very cheap and easy to do. I got the bags and oil off ebay for like £1 each! Problem is I need to refresh them but I've lost the oil now :roll:

I wouldn't put rear guard on a healthy, clean rabbit....it potent stuff and I don't see the point. You are far better ensuring your bun doesn't get a messy bun in the first place!

I was wondering this, I've never used it and don't really like the thought of covered my buns in something :? I thought it was only for bunnies who were ill or prone to getting dirty bottoms.

Agree, BUT when you have elderly buns (two of mine are 9), they are not as flexible as they used to be and tend to laze around more. Due to age and a fused elbow joint, Parsnips has some balance issues when grooming and can wobble when he tries to get his ceacals and can leave a few on the floor. Then he shifts and sits in it and, hey presto, it's stuck to his feet or bum. There's not really anything I can do to stop this and as a full time worker, I'm not home all day to keep an eye on him. I got to work at 7.15am and get home at 4.30pm - plenty of time for flies to do their worst :(. Although OH is around during the day, I wouldn't expect him to do bum checks for me. Might consider the Bephar spray.

Agree, BUT when you have elderly buns (two of mine are 9), they are not as flexible as they used to be and tend to laze around more. Due to age and a fused elbow joint, Parsnips has some balance issues when grooming and can wobble when he tries to get his ceacals and can leave a few on the floor. Then he shifts and sits in it and, hey presto, it's stuck to his feet or bum. There's not really anything I can do to stop this and as a full time worker, I'm not home all day to keep an eye on him. I got to work at 7.15am and get home at 4.30pm - plenty of time for flies to do their worst :(. Although OH is around during the day, I wouldn't expect him to do bum checks for me. Might consider the Bephar spray.

I'm the same - I go to work at half 7 and finish at half 4. Although I check them once I get in that's still long enough for flies to do their work. I already clean them out before I go to work everyday. I know of someone who's house rabbit got it and the owner was major vigilant all the time/handled him every day. She just happened to of worked a long shift that night. I think it can happen to any rabbit and any owner. All it takes is one sticky bum.

Lidl and Aldi often have fly nets at this time of year. This is all over mine but they do free range so it is only effective if we are not in and regular checks are sitll needed. You also have to be careful not to trap flies IN when you are closing them up.

I always have rearguard in the first aid kit as a precaution. I too don't like to put it on as "standard" but do if I am going away and my Mum/MIL are looking after them as there is no way they could do bum checks so I do put it on a few days before.

:?

Not everyone is so comfortable with spraying chemicals on their rabbits.

For rabbits at risk, yes, possibly, with veterinary recommendation, but certainly not otherwise.

Sorry, i won't be using it.

Please don't go panic purchasing things like this, just because some people choose to use it. Speak to your vet and make an informed decision as to whether you should use it on your rabbit or not.

I won't be putting any on my bunnies, never have, even when I had outdoor bunnies, regular checking and cleaning has worked for me :)

Another one who doesnt use it here, I really dont like the idea of spraying chemicals on my buns and Ive read threads on here where buns have had bad reactions to it.

My buns are indoors but in the summer my huge full length balcony doors and windows are open most of the time. I find a meticulous cleaning routine, regular checks and a spray of citronella oil around my window frames is sufficient for my buns. Also I never used to kill flies but since having rabbits Im like a mad woman witha flip flop if one gets into my appartment! :lol:

Having said that my buns are healthy, relatively young and have clean bums. I may use it if one of them were at risk :thumb:

Cant decide if I should use this on Imogen... shes very fluffy and Im not able to handle her easily and regularly atm, might give me a bit of piece of mind :?

At the vets next week anyway so will speak to my vet then :wave:

Is there anything more natural that you can use? something to repel flies? maybe something like lavender oil or something like that?
Storm has problems cleaning his bum, something quite common with French lops. He has LOTS of thick fluffy fur and poo just sticks to him :( Gypsy has EC and is slightly incontinent, occasionally leaking wee. Even though they are indoor bunnies they are at risk but I hate the thought of harmful chemicals.

I don't use this, but would consider it with a vulnerable bunny (think we used it on Tilly who had head tilt and also a spray- the Beaphar one- on Rosie who had a damaged spine). Also, currently I have one with a open abscess on her leg and I would also consider using it on her (but not on the abscess but to deter flies generally) but that's not feasible currently.

I see no reason to use it on any of my others.

Now that I've read the whole thread, I'm so confused as to whether or not I should use this! My buns are under a year old and very healthy, however Honey has a very furry butt so I guess that makes it harder for her to groom herself/easier for flies to lay their eggs? I think I take quite good care of them, I check them twice a day, but in August I'll be going away for three weeks and they'll be staying with a friend. Now I have nothing personal against this friend looking after them, but I don't think I'll be 100% trusting of anyone looking after them so I was thinking of using Beaphar Fly Guard for extra precaution for especially when I'm away. I'll also be using cotton balls swabbed in citronella oil around their accommodation like a user suggested, and I'll also be growing lavender and mint in pots to put around their shed. Will the citronella and herbs deter the flies enough for me to not have to use the fly guard? Lols, sorry for hijacking the thread :wave::D

Ok never used it, so first i want to know a few things..

what is it that causes flys to lay their eggs on a bunny?
if your bunnies are kept clean and healthy syrely no flies would cause any issues ?
Jay is Mega fluffy and hes never had any poo stuck round his bum to cause any issues, and if he had surely id notice long before flystrike could happen??

maybe my lack of knowledge is shining through here??:oops::oops:

I have never used any chemical fly strike preventative. I don't believe in them.
Grimlock is a very high risk rabbit. He cannot eat hay so has a very low fibre diet. He is also on a lot of medication and excel pellets. He has a lot of runny poos that get stuck to him and the floor and everywhere and of course attract flies.
My strategy is just keep everything clean. I change the litter tray twice a day in the very hot weather, I clip Grim's fur around his bum and cut off any poo (I don't bathe him as it's too stressful). Last year flies started to lay eggs in the litter tray and I panicked a bit but kept everything really clean and everyone was fine.

I might be tempted to use citronella this year and a fly net on the window. I don't even know what citronella is. Where do you get it from?

But I don't like the idea of chemicals on my rabbits when the alternative is just a bit of hard work cleaning. :wave:

Lidl and Aldi often have fly nets at this time of year. This is all over mine but they do free range so it is only effective if we are not in and regular checks are sitll needed. You also have to be careful not to trap flies IN when you are closing them up.

I was worried about this...

Not sure about the candles but I wouldn't risk it. What I did is got some little bags (mesh jewellery bags) about 5x5cm and put a few cotton balls splashed with citronella in the shed. I only needed one as I overdosed a bit on the citronella :oops:! But I know it does a great job at keeping them away and it's very cheap and easy to do. I got the bags and oil off ebay for like £1 each! Problem is I need to refresh them but I've lost the oil now :roll:

Ah ok, will try this!

I have never used any chemical fly strike preventative. I don't believe in them.
Grimlock is a very high risk rabbit. He cannot eat hay so has a very low fibre diet. He is also on a lot of medication and excel pellets. He has a lot of runny poos that get stuck to him and the floor and everywhere and of course attract flies.
My strategy is just keep everything clean. I change the litter tray twice a day in the very hot weather, I clip Grim's fur around his bum and cut off any poo (I don't bathe him as it's too stressful). Last year flies started to lay eggs in the litter tray and I panicked a bit but kept everything really clean and everyone was fine.

I might be tempted to use citronella this year and a fly net on the window. I don't even know what citronella is. Where do you get it from?

But I don't like the idea of chemicals on my rabbits when the alternative is just a bit of hard work cleaning. :wave:
I think it comes from lemongrass? Yeah, I just wiki'd it and it it comes from the leaves and stems of lemongrass. I'm getting this and dousing cotton balls in it to hang around in little bags around the shed (another user mentioned this, so not my idea, but I forgot who xDD). I think the same seller has a smaller amount on sale too. :thumb:

I bought a load of fly guard (the bether one) to spray on all of mine but only actually did it before I went on my one and only holiday last year as I wouldn't expect anyone to bum check them. I have had a bunny with flystrike. It was awful BUT he was elderly, unable to clean himself as well and had regular sticky bum. We saved him by spending hours picking off the individual eggs and then the hatched maggots. It has still not made me paranoid about it as he lived 9.5 years before this incident and 2.5 after. I don't believe in spraying strong chemicals on them regularly, I see it as a bit like taking antibiotics for every little thing. Rabbits are naturally very clean and it is very rare to find wildies with it unless they are ill/ unable to move to clean themselves. My set up makes it impossible to flymesh everything so I rely on cleaning out and checking regularly, and more than that, the rabbits ability to clean itself. Houdini was brought in permanently after his incident and was never rear guarded again - just kept clean and checked. It is a horrible nasty thing and each to their own, but don;t underestimate the ability of a rabbit to keep itself clean and the flies away if it is fit and healthy.

Back