• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and Rabbits?

Even if you are with them all the time, I don't see how you could react quickly enough to stop the dog killing the rabbit. They have very strong jaws and could kill with one bite.

Then no one would own a dog at all as they could easily turn on the owner & do some damage or kill a small child.

I understand where you're coming from but I do think its all about being a responsible & sensible owner. :wave:

I have a 10 week old puppy Shar Pei x Lab and 2 rabbits who live in a shed in the garden.
My pup is very very playful and bouncy at the min and has been play biting especially as he is teething but he will be going to training classes in the next few weeks and once im confident he will listen to commands I will very slowly and carefully introduce him to the rabbits.

I would never have the confidence to leave them together, no matter how calm Bailey becomes, but I would like to know that the buns can play in their run without Bailey terrorising them etc etc and I have great respect for people who have put the time and effort into getting their animals to live harmoniously side by side.

I think all dogs/cats can be trained to live in harmony with another animal.
I know people who have had a number of animals living together with no problem after a certain amount of training....cats&dogs, cats&birds, dogs&bunnies, cats&bunnies etc etc

The only thing I would say is that if you discipline and train your dog not to touch 'your' rabbits. This rule does not always apply to other rabbits, as they are disciplined not to touch the individual not the whole population. x

Last edited:
Even if you are with them all the time, I don't see how you could react quickly enough to stop the dog killing the rabbit. They have very strong jaws and could kill with one bite.

Tim, in some cases this is true, some dogs may snap before you can open your mouth to give a command.

Dogs are not all the same though, let me try to give an example

If I take a tea towel and put a knot in it and then shake it about and try to engage a dog in play some dogs will grab the towel and pull at it and play to the extent of riping the towel, some will gently take the towel and play but not roughly, some will not touch the towel no matter how much you try to engage them in play and will move away if you try to interact with them too much.

Some dogs will be very unsafe around rabbits, but others will not.

Dogs and Rabbits

I have rabbits and Jack Russels!.. I think its more about the sort of dog owner you are... You can never trust a dog 100% but an owner who has a good relationship and total control can keep a truce between all concerned... My Jacks have caught rabbits in the wild but keep a distance from my rabbits when there having there free range time.. My youngest Jack and Mr C the Dutch run about together and cuddle up!.. Im always there though...It all boils down to common sense i think :p

Back