• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and rabbits

DeeAisha

Young Bun
Not sure quite where to post this, so it's here.

We have a jack russell/whippet cross. She is VERY interested in rabbits in the abstract - on walks if she sees one running in the distance she'll chase - but it is all about the chase. Once when walking we stumbled across a bun by accident. It froze, she gave it a sniff then walked on by. I imagine when the buns arrive she'll be desperately interested for a week or so, and it might be tedious having to accompany her on all loo breaks as she'll have to pass the run to get to her toilet spot, but then they'll just become furniture.

This is the theory.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to have dog and buns running loose together under supervision. When I was little my dog used to adore my guinea pigs and vice versa - the piggies would follow the dog like she was the leader, and they'd curl up and snooze in the sun. So I know it's possible for dogs to cosy up with furries - anyone got any practical tips on how we achieve this without risking the buns? We're obviously a good few months away from it now but I have this lovely vision of the end of summer, all of us pottering about on the yard and decking, boy kicking his ball, buns and dog sunbathing...

My worry is that the whippetness in Lola - the dog - makes her drawn to sudden movements. Even if the buns were her friend when they move slowly, that flash of white tail in the distance might prove her undoing.

This is possibly a very unrealistic dream.

And kind of related. We have a really big section of yard, patio and decking that's totally dog proof - no toxic plants, no way to dig out, plenty of shade and different heights to explore. This basically makes it rabbit-proof too - and rabbit heaven. But will the rabbits feel comfortable exploring it if it smells of dog, even if the dog's not out there with them? It does include the dog's toilet area - she's fastidiously clean and only goes in one are about the size of 4 patio slabs. We keep this very clean though because of our son.

Dee

I think this is perfectly 'do-able'. I have Border Collies who free-range with my rabbits and they love nothing better than to chase wild bunnies if they get the chance. However, they have been taught that bunnies at home are out of bounds and because they're there all the time, the dogs soon become used to them and subsequently take no notice of sudden movements.

My first collie was a rescue who was fascinated with the bunnies but it took only a few training sessions to make her understand that these are 'family' and not to be touched. She went on to live with a free-range houserabbit! My two current collies free-range with my bunnies every day - I have no concerns but they did have to be taught not to touch which involved lots of sessions on the lead in the garden. It honestly didn't take long.

I have a small garden and the bunnies and dogs have to share. The bunnies show no concern at all that the garden smells of canine! But I am careful to hose the lawn regularly and to immediately pick up any dog poo. The dogs, on the other hand, love nothing better than hoovering up stray bunny poops off the grass. Even better is guinea pig poop, which the dogs think is like finding a truffle :lol:

I think this is perfectly 'do-able'. I have Border Collies who free-range with my rabbits and they love nothing better than to chase wild bunnies if they get the chance. However, they have been taught that bunnies at home are out of bounds and because they're there all the time, the dogs soon become used to them and subsequently take no notice of sudden movements.

My first collie was a rescue who was fascinated with the bunnies but it took only a few training sessions to make her understand that these are 'family' and not to be touched. She went on to live with a free-range houserabbit! My two current collies free-range with my bunnies every day - I have no concerns but they did have to be taught not to touch which involved lots of sessions on the lead in the garden. It honestly didn't take long.

I have a small garden and the bunnies and dogs have to share. The bunnies show no concern at all that the garden smells of canine! But I am careful to hose the lawn regularly and to immediately pick up any dog poo. The dogs, on the other hand, love nothing better than hoovering up stray bunny poops off the grass. Even better is guinea pig poop, which the dogs think is like finding a truffle :lol:

Oh that's all very reassuring. I've had a glorious afternoon pottering in the garden with the boy and the dog - it would be a shame if I'd had to shut the dog in for half of it to allow the buns their moment in the sun. Hopefully Lola learns that the new buns are family quickly. She's a bright, submissive dog - a good start.

Dee

I'm sure you'll overcome any problems with your dog and the bunnies. Just take it slowly and always end any training sessions when the dog is ignoring the bunnies. If you drag the dog away when it's in full-on eyeballing or chasing mode, it's just going to be even more interested the next time they meet. A collar and lead, lots of treats and calm behaviour (from you) is what's required. You'll do it!

:wave: I have a whippet cross dog, and she is great with my rabbits. I have 2 house buns at the moment and they run around the same room the dog is in with no problems. Having said that, I never leave the dog alone with them. We have had outside rabbits too and she would go to see them in their run to watch them for a bit, and then ignore them.

I made sure I was paying the dog all the attention when we first got the rabbits and were trying to get her used to them, so she didn't feel jealous. I'm sure you'll get on fine.
________
a0LatinAss

Last edited:
Loving all this positivity! My husband is convinced we'll never get them to love each other, which is making me even more determined. He never saw three guinea pigs following a daschund round my childhood back garden! :lol:

They're going to have to get on now I've seen how small my coop is. ****.

D x

Back