• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does this sound like he is lonely

yes, as others have said, bored, lonely and trying to escape. My bun does the bar chewing sometimes when I put him away for the night.

Dont bother with new toys, its just a waste of the money you could be using to bunny-proof your room. Once he is free range your room will become his toy, he can jump up and down from things, sprint around and hide under stuff, it'll be his playground.

Only thing I could suggest is apple sticks, they can keep him busy for a while and they're fairly cheap too. I think Fluffers had a thread selling them for honeybunnies, or you can get them on ebay. They keep my bun busy when I put him away :)

ill try and get him some apple sticks i probs buy loads of them off ebay i already have an account on there.

unfortunatly as much as id like to he wont ever be a full ranged bunny he can be practically but not fully. my mom wont allow it she will allow him to walk around with my supervision but he has to go back in the moment i leave the room. :(

How long is it since he was neutered? The hormal behaviour should settle after a few weeks. Is he a good hay eater. Maybe mixing some treats in a box of hay would keep him occupied. A bit messy for a house bunny but perhaps worth a try. You could also try him with hay cakes - a bit less messy but not all bunnies like them.

he was neutered on the 28th of jan. he does eat a lot opf hay depending on if its his favourite or not. ive currently ran out of his favourite though so hes having to settle for the stuff he dont like much.

he likes alfla bayes but hes ran out of them to.

ive got a lot of things i need to get.

the thing is sweetie, if you are keeping a bunny on his own without a friend, he NEEDS lots of attention from you.

i am a bit confused as to where the lack of time comes from. even if you got in from college at 6pm and went to bed at 10pm there are 4 hours there. even if you take away having tea and doing work etc, i don't see how you can't spend an hour a night with him.

I agree with that!
If you can't have another bunny then you need to be his bonded partner so that he knows he's got a friend

i think it is only natural that he is bored and lonely.

in another of your threads you stated that you only spend 3 hours a week with him.
is there any chance of perhaps getting up an hour earlier before college to play with him? or spending more of the time you are at home with him?

this might help to take some of his lonliness away :)

i cant really get up earlier. i tried it before and i was really tired all day and kept falling asleep in my collage class. which got me in trouble.

ill try and find some way around it, ive gotta clean him out today as well.

He does sound a bit bored.
If you have an old phonebook and pull out the glossy pages, he can pull that apart. Charlie loves it.
Feeding in a treat ball is great, takes them a while to get it all out.
Loads of boxes, toilet roll tubes
Hide treats for him around his cage so he has to find them when you're out
Tunnels
Things to jump on (Charlie has a toddler step)
Some little rattle type things so he can play with the noise if he wants to
Mix some dried herbs or something like that in with his hay so that he has to forrage to get the bits he wants and eat bits of extra hay
Willow sticks! They're only about £2 in wilkos for a bunch and theyre great to chew on

my mom just got a new phone book hopefully she wont have thrown it away but he will try to eat it does this matter.

ive given him a treat ball before and he chewed it to pieces within an hour.

i could definatly hide treats in his cage from. ill try andf get him one of those plastic bunnt tunnels. he has a carrier to jump on at the moment ive not been able to find him anything else yet. my bf has a baby brother so i will see if he has a rattle that he can give me for scooter, if not ill try and buy one from somewhere when i get paid.

ill get him some more herbs too, he has willow sticks but he ignores them.

the thing is sweetie, if you are keeping a bunny on his own without a friend, he NEEDS lots of attention from you.

i am a bit confused as to where the lack of time comes from. even if you got in from college at 6pm and went to bed at 10pm there are 4 hours there. even if you take away having tea and doing work etc, i don't see how you can't spend an hour a night with him.

sometimes i can spend an extra hour with him and sometimes i cant. its not because i neglect him and dont have time visit him. some times i do and sometimes i dont it depends on wat day it is.

I agree with that!
If you can't have another bunny then you need to be his bonded partner so that he knows he's got a friend

the thing is i want to get him a friend because i feel bad that i cant spend time with him. but my mom has doubts she think they will start plotting and do stuff. i said they might do but i doubt it.

Is he free range at all? or has exercise out of the hutch?

I found with Oggie, if he got bored of certain toys, I took them away for a week and then when I put them back he loveeed them :lol:
There are quite a few ideas of homemade toys.

Ogs has an old yellow pages which he loves to dig and chew on.

Big boxes (which you can get from some stores free) with cut holes in then put one of the tunnels leading into the box.

You could hang a box from the ceiling of the hutch, with food in. I normally make it quite difficult for Ogs to get it :lol:

He also has a hanging thing from pets at home, where you can spear food on.

There were also some ideas on here where someone put pellets in a brown paper bag then scrunched up the bag. I can see that keeps bunnies amused for awhile!

You could do a digging box

Use toilet rolls to hide food in. Sometimes, I put hay and food in them and then turn the ends over then hide it all under hay.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but pets at home were doing the tunnels (fabric ones) for 2 for £10. Oggie loves these as they are like a warren.

Time to be creative I think! :lol:

Eta - When I supervise him, I also put some food under light weight plastic tub things. Gets him really frustrated but he does eventually get the reward.

ill have to come back on here to make a list opf things to get for toys. he doesnt have free ranged time at all not since he was in the ferplast cage.

i am in the process of making it so that he can. but cant do this until friday.

the thing is i want to get him a friend because i feel bad that i cant spend time with him. but my mom has doubts she think they will start plotting and do stuff. i said they might do but i doubt it.

She thinks theyll plot? :? What does she think they're gonna do?

ill have to come back on here to make a list opf things to get for toys. he doesnt have free ranged time at all not since he was in the ferplast cage.

i am in the process of making it so that he can. but cant do this until friday.

No free range at all?! Even when you are there?

She thinks theyll plot? :? What does she think they're gonna do?

well she thinks scxooter is sort of the devil. :lol: im not surprised with the amount of things hes done over this past year.

me personally i dont think they will i think theyll just be bunny running around and chasing each other. they might get a bit load but uve sort of got to expect that with two of them :lol::D

No free range at all?! Even when you are there?

no ive not been able to he keeps going to under cabinets and that. theres loads of dust under there and cob webs so i want the chance to clean it properly before i let him loose. i also need to block something off too. thankful he is the only rabbit that i know that doesnt bother with wires.

no ive not been able to he keeps going to under cabinets and that. theres loads of dust under there and cob webs so i want the chance to clean it properly before i let him loose. i also need to block something off too. thankful he is the only rabbit that i know that doesnt bother with wires.
He must be longing for a run about and to stretch his legs. No wonder he bar rattles.

He must be longing for a run about and to stretch his legs. No wonder he bar rattles.

his home is a pen that is 6ft by 5ft i lot better than wat he use to be in, eventually it will get bigger but thats not going to happen for a while yet. need more panels and too get rid of some furniture as well.

:? Does it matter if he gets cobwebby?! Surely it;s better that he's happy.

You seem to come up with a lot of excuses why you can't give him what he needs. I have to wonder if you could think through them at all.

I'm going to go against what people have said above...I really don't think you should get another bun, until you've sorted out giving Scooter what he needs.

You seem to come up with a lot of excuses why you can't give him what he needs. I have to wonder if you could think through them at all.

I'm going to go against what people have said above...I really don't think you should get another bun, until you've sorted out giving Scooter what he needs.

^____^ this
i agree with you and i don't think she should get another bunny either.

his home is a pen that is 6ft by 5ft i lot better than wat he use to be in, eventually it will get bigger but thats not going to happen for a while yet. need more panels and too get rid of some furniture as well.

6x5 is a brilliant size for him to live in, but I still think he needs free range time... Charlie only has his proper running about and binkying when he's in my bedroom (biggest bedroom). Smaller than my full room and he doesn't have the space to do his mad binkying fun

I'm going to go against what people have said above...I really don't think you should get another bun, until you've sorted out giving Scooter what he needs.[/QUOTE

there is a reason why i didnt let him out to get cobby webby i thought the dust would make him ill or something. thats all. ive spent this last year trying my best with scooter hes gone from a small cage to quite a big run. hes been neutered, he has more toys he gets more veg i spend as much time with him as i can.

i am ready for another rabbit ive spent the last 2 to 3 months thinking and planning this all out ive been using my money to make sure im stocked up with food and woodshavings ready for this. the only probolems ive been having with is free ranged, its finally got to the point of were i can do it to a certian degree he got let out the other day to test wat need to be bunny proffed and where he could go. im still working on this at the moment ive not been able to get any time for anything. between collage and work placement ive hardly got anything done. the hamster and rabbit both need cleaning out the room needs cleaning then ive got to get around to bunny proofing, then there are the 8 assingment that have all gotta be in, in like the next 2 weeks.

at the moment im just struggling to keep up with thing and sort things out.

i know this wont be a continous thing so, it will eventually die down but im trying to make time to do this and that and sort out th9ings that cannot be ignored like sorting scooter and my hamster paddy out.

6x5 is a brilliant size for him to live in, but I still think he needs free range time... Charlie only has his proper running about and binkying when he's in my bedroom (biggest bedroom). Smaller than my full room and he doesn't have the space to do his mad binkying fun

i am in the 3 biggets room in the house but i cant keep giving him more space or other wise ill have no room left the cage will sooner or later be made into a 11ft by 5 ft cage hell have half of my room then and of course will have s ome free range time.

Back