• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does my vet care more about money than animals?

Had a lovely chat with bunniesgalore and we have found a good solution x

I had a phone call from an angel. Amazing. I don't know what to say, but thank you for everything, most of all thank you for understanding. It's not often that people actually hear what I say. Very rare indeed. Teamwork is the answer. Thank you.:love:

I had a phone call from an angel. Amazing. I don't know what to say, but thank you for everything, most of all thank you for understanding. It's not often that people actually hear what I say. Very rare indeed. Teamwork is the answer. Thank you.:love:

I'm so pleased that a solution has been found.
I found your post earlier today. setting out your position, very upsetting.

Just a general word of warning. Vet practices are beginning to suffer seriously from the credit crunch and are beginning to go out of business. The practice where I had my first job has gone into liquidation. I had to take upfront payments in my second job due to problems of bad debters. If only everybody was as good a pet owner as everybody on here.

Really pleased for all concerned... :love:

Just a general word of warning. Vet practices are beginning to suffer seriously from the credit crunch and are beginning to go out of business. The practice where I had my first job has gone into liquidation. I had to take upfront payments in my second job due to problems of bad debters. If only everybody was as good a pet owner as everybody on here.

I am delighted that a solution has been found for this . .

But it is true that very few businesses can now wait for payments. My vets have always insisted on payment before you leave the premises so to speak (except in very emotional circumstances). They are an excellent vet and I am a very very regular client (spent about £8,000 with them last year!!) but they simply cant get involved in money lending (as it would be).

It is going to get harder . . especially as insurances are generally putting up the excess payments and querying everything . .

My vets will claim direct to the insurance company but they charge an administration fee for doing it. Everything else needs to be paid for while you are at the surgery. That's the official line anyway. Whether they would be willing to budge on that or not I don't know. I have a savings account for the rabbits and so far I've never had anything bigger than the balance in their account.

Thats great news :thumb:

My comment about Sainsbury's wasn't aimed at you OP, and I tried to make that clear. As I said in my previous post your vet has put you in a hellish situation and I'm really glad Liz has managed to help you sort something.

I think this is the sad reality of the time that we live in now, unfortunately. My old vets would allow you to have money on your account till payday, but not for small animals - I guess because people are probably less likely to cough up for a cheap pet. It was slightly annoying as I'm sure I spent more in there with Barney than most of their dog/cat customers - I was in there 1-4 times a month for 2 years - but their business their rules I guess. My new vets will claim from the insurance direct, but only on bills of over £400, and you have to pay a £200 deposit.

Thats great news :thumb:

My comment about Sainsbury's wasn't aimed at you OP, and I tried to make that clear. As I said in my previous post your vet has put you in a hellish situation and I'm really glad Liz has managed to help you sort something.

Sorry. It's OK anyway. I appreciate that I didn't make myself very clear and I'm sorry for that. :(

It is devastating especially when as an assistant vet you have to insist a client pays before treatment when you know them well and know they have every intention of paying. Insurance claims direct are great in principal but we couldn't do them unless it was certain insurance companies or the vets can be out of pocket for months until the insurance companies pay up!

Back