• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does my vet care more about money than animals?

Pet plan do not provide cover for burring or trimming for teeth.

Insurance and teeth were two separate issues in any case as I know they don't state that they don't cover routine dentals. But for molar spurs it could be £100 a dental and maybe only about £10 - 15 for incisors, so the cost implications to anybody taking on a dental bunny would be vastly different.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments but we're not getting anywhere. We keep going round in circles and I'm getting too tired. I am not very well at all but have obviously thought about every scenario possible. It's just too tiring to have to keep saying the same things. Thank you.

I hope after a rest it seems more positive. You haven't actually answered whether you would consider rehoming them just that you don't believe anyone would take them. With a fresh mind you might see there's still some good options on this thread. Again, whilst you said you didn't want to have them PTS you didn't actually answer when we asked if you were intending to go through with it on Tuesday. Sorry if you think people are going round in circles but it's simply to establish the facts and to try and help. Like Parsnipbun, I'm at capacity at the moment but would otherwise seriously consider taking on a rabbit with Milly's problems. I lost a dental bunny in June and within two weeks I took another rabbit on purposefully as I was told she had dental problems and I wanted to "give something back", kind of a tribute to the rabbit I'd just lost, I know others have that mindset also. Given the right time and organisation someone will be able to help, I just hope you can see that is the intention. Any of us could end up in your situation, I really understand how hard it is to see any postives when one thing after another weighs you down.

The OP is EXTREMELY unwell and struggling MORE THAN I AM.

PLEASE PLEASE remember that what is posted on a Forum may not be the FULL story and may read in a way that gives the totally wrong impression

The OP lives for her Pets and would sell her soul for them. She is NOT NOT NOT just a 'throw away' Rabbit owner

I am going to report this thread now as I am certain the OP is majorly distressed and I for one am more than a little concerned for her

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Karen :)

Just to clarrify, my previous post was in response to a post from someone else which has now been removed (and the quote of it in my post removed too)

Dont want anyone thinking I am going off on one for no reason !!

As Jane said, a post has been removed - please anybody else thinking of replying remember the tone of posts section of the forum rules when replying and stick to constructive advice. The OP must already feel bad enough being in such a desperate situation; she doesn't need anybody to tell her so.

Bunniesgalore, I'm so sorry you're in this situation. :( I don't have any advice on top of that people have already given but I hope that, with the help of members on here, you can work out a suitable solution. It must be awful to know you have insurance for things like this, but no way of finding the money in the interim. :(

I'm so sorry you're in this situation :(.

I can understand what a worry it is for you, on top of having ill buns, and being unwell yourself. I always worry that my vet changes their policy, and expects everyone to pay, then claim back. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the insurance, as not everyone can afford to pay the vet and then wait for insurance money.

I know it's not going to help at the moment, but do you do any crafting? That maybe you could sell on here or elsewhere to build up funds to keep in an emergency jar to cover the fees?

I know that would take a while to do, but is about the only thing I can think of.

I'm hoping everything works out well. Maybe you should point out to the vet how much money they get from your insurance as well?

Good luck.

Bunnies aside, I just wondered how you were doing this morning?

Me too

Hang on, grit your teeth and even if you cant believe it the awfulness of how you feel can become less terrifying. Even if only for a while. I am holding your hand through cyber space

(((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Whilst you are feeling so poorly you should not make decisions like having pets pts. I would cancel the appointment you have and give yourself some time. Do you have any back up plans for your pets for when you are not well?

I saw this thread yesterday and have been having a think. I have messaged bunniesgalore with a couple of possible solutions so she can keep her bunnies, just waiting to hear back x

I'm OK. They won't be put to sleep. I said I was shocked vets would do this even though I don't owe the vets a penny. I don't think I can go to the vets and not pay-it's not like going to Sainsburys. When people claim on insurance frequently the insurance company pay the person who does the work directly. My vet for years let me pay everything not covered (my cats, dentals, vaccinations etc etc) and the insurance claims would be paid directly to the vet-as per the bit on the back of the pet plan form where it asks the insured whether payment should be paid directly to the vet or the claimant.

When I got Milly from a local rescue I was told she was in good health-no problems. She has alot of problems, all of which have met multiple vet visits with me researching her conditions and literally telling the vet what she needs. She's been a very poorly bun but she as with all my animals get vet treatment every single time, day or night when they need it.

There are many, many people struggling as I am with ever reducing finances. The government accept I can't work, I am in what the DSS lady called 'the group for people who will never get better'. That was a bit gutting actually, to be written off by a Tory government, I'm a fairly rare species!

From January I have to pay about £45 a month for rent as I have a 'spare' bedroom-i call it the bunnies bedroom.it's not 'spare'! Additionally I will have to pay council tax of approx £20 a month-both of this I haven't had to pay before. Times have become very hard indeed and ever harder. Neither of things things were in place when I got my animals. I will not have any more after this. I have always struggled but animals come first, last and everything in between. But I can't make money. I can't make less money pay for even more things.

I was horrified that the vets genuinely made an appointment for me to take my buns to be pts. I really thought someone would telephone and say a mistake had been made. As Jane (dear, kind decent Jane) said, my animals are my life. Literally. I have always fought day and night just to survive and I fight a constant battle to get the buns especially decent veterinary care. It's just hard fighting all the time. I thought the vets and I were singing from the same song sheet-caring for animals. This battle is almost overwhelming but I will fight as I always have to the death for my guys. I only wish sometimes, even just once in a blue moon, things would be straightforward so I could just have a moment to catch my breath.

This is the life many people 'live' with poor health, no money and worries piled up so high they almost suffocate us. People like us-otherwise known as 'benefit scum' who supposedly live in mansions with massive TV's and days spent counting our money, people like us who accrue even more debt just to have food to eat. The government don't give an extra amount for vets bills. Money spent n vets bills is food and bill money. If I receive £100 and spend £100 on a vet bill that costs £150 i have nothing to last until my next benefit and then £50 of my next money is for the previous vet bill. Then another animal gets poorly and it gets worse.

Finally, I am a human being. My buns live in the house roaming free and go in the garden too in the Summer. They have a fantastic life. I always have had rescues, ditto my cats. Before I go too I'll to work I got a law degree and did the Legal Practice Course to train to be a solicitor. I now live in a house owned by my mum, in a place I loathe and only know a few neighbours-just to say hello to. I can't have children as I could pass on my illness to them, I go to the vets, doctors, dentist, greengrocers and co-op-that is my life. It's a rubbish 'life', painful, frightening, lonely and hopeless. My guys are the only good in my life. I am doing all I can to ensure they have a ggod life-that they don't see me crying, that they don't know we're broke, that they are all warm, fed, vaccinated, and basically as I say to them 'I will do all I can to keep you safe and well and happy and know how loved you are'.

Have you been to CAB I thought the bedroom tax was only applied to people living in social housing???

It sounds like you are having a tough time would it be helpful to have a benefit check to make sure you are getting what you are entitled to and some housing advice if you would prefer to live somewhere else?

I am so pleased that you have posted today bunniesgalore. I can identify with all that you say, it is like reading a post I have made myself. Uncanny really.

Anyway, your Bunnies and Cats are so lucky to have you to care for them. You are as important to them as they are to you. I know how hard it is to have to claw your way through every second of every day, fighting our minds that are hell bent on destroying us. All we can do is try to hang on. Few people understand what it is like to live as we do. That is probably a good thing as it is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Take care bunniesgalore xx

I'm OK. They won't be put to sleep. I said I was shocked vets would do this even though I don't owe the vets a penny. I don't think I can go to the vets and not pay-it's not like going to Sainsburys. When people claim on insurance frequently the insurance company pay the person who does the work directly. My vet for years let me pay everything not covered (my cats, dentals, vaccinations etc etc) and the insurance claims would be paid directly to the vet-as per the bit on the back of the pet plan form where it asks the insured whether payment should be paid directly to the vet or the claimant.

When I got Milly from a local rescue I was told she was in good health-no problems. She has alot of problems, all of which have met multiple vet visits with me researching her conditions and literally telling the vet what she needs. She's been a very poorly bun but she as with all my animals get vet treatment every single time, day or night when they need it.

There are many, many people struggling as I am with ever reducing finances. The government accept I can't work, I am in what the DSS lady called 'the group for people who will never get better'. That was a bit gutting actually, to be written off by a Tory government, I'm a fairly rare species!

From January I have to pay about £45 a month for rent as I have a 'spare' bedroom-i call it the bunnies bedroom.it's not 'spare'! Additionally I will have to pay council tax of approx £20 a month-both of this I haven't had to pay before. Times have become very hard indeed and ever harder. Neither of things things were in place when I got my animals. I will not have any more after this. I have always struggled but animals come first, last and everything in between. But I can't make money. I can't make less money pay for even more things.

I was horrified that the vets genuinely made an appointment for me to take my buns to be pts. I really thought someone would telephone and say a mistake had been made. As Jane (dear, kind decent Jane) said, my animals are my life. Literally. I have always fought day and night just to survive and I fight a constant battle to get the buns especially decent veterinary care. It's just hard fighting all the time. I thought the vets and I were singing from the same song sheet-caring for animals. This battle is almost overwhelming but I will fight as I always have to the death for my guys. I only wish sometimes, even just once in a blue moon, things would be straightforward so I could just have a moment to catch my breath.

This is the life many people 'live' with poor health, no money and worries piled up so high they almost suffocate us. People like us-otherwise known as 'benefit scum' who supposedly live in mansions with massive TV's and days spent counting our money, people like us who accrue even more debt just to have food to eat. The government don't give an extra amount for vets bills. Money spent n vets bills is food and bill money. If I receive £100 and spend £100 on a vet bill that costs £150 i have nothing to last until my next benefit and then £50 of my next money is for the previous vet bill. Then another animal gets poorly and it gets worse.

Finally, I am a human being. My buns live in the house roaming free and go in the garden too in the Summer. They have a fantastic life. I always have had rescues, ditto my cats. Before I go too I'll to work I got a law degree and did the Legal Practice Course to train to be a solicitor. I now live in a house owned by my mum, in a place I loathe and only know a few neighbours-just to say hello to. I can't have children as I could pass on my illness to them, I go to the vets, doctors, dentist, greengrocers and co-op-that is my life. It's a rubbish 'life', painful, frightening, lonely and hopeless. My guys are the only good in my life. I am doing all I can to ensure they have a ggod life-that they don't see me crying, that they don't know we're broke, that they are all warm, fed, vaccinated, and basically as I say to them 'I will do all I can to keep you safe and well and happy and know how loved you are'.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time making ends meet for your animals. It does seem that with the changes to your outgoings and your vets being uncooperative, that unless you can find and go to another vet that will claim direct, you can no longer afford to keep your animals. It would be worth looking at your vet bills and rehoming the animal(s) that you are having the most difficulty keeping, so that the welfare of the ones that are left (including yourself) have more money available to be spent on what they need. If times are going to be getting so much harder as you predict, then it is best to start looking for a new home asap, so that they don't miss out on any vet care, and you don't miss out on what you need to survive either. I know you are feeling negatively about this, thinking that noone will want a sick animal, but you don't know until you try, and there are plenty of kind souls that want to help elderly or sick pets, including private homes, sanctuaries and some rescues.

I know how much you rely upon the animals, but if things are as bad as they sound, then you have to rehome one or more for their own good, and for the good of the rest of you in the house. It will good for your own mental health too, to not have to worry so much about where you are going to get the money for their vet bills.

Last edited:
I am so pleased that you have posted today bunniesgalore. I can identify with all that you say, it is like reading a post I have made myself. Uncanny really.

Anyway, your Bunnies and Cats are so lucky to have you to care for them. You are as important to them as they are to you. I know how hard it is to have to claw your way through every second of every day, fighting our minds that are hell bent on destroying us. All we can do is try to hang on. Few people understand what it is like to live as we do. That is probably a good thing as it is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Take care bunniesgalore xx

I'm with Jane, on all of that. I too can relate to how important animals are. When you have nothing positive in your life at all, they are everything. People view them as 'luxuries' but mine are my life force. Why should a life force be a luxury?

I have no solution, but please know you're heard and I totally sympathise with you for what you're going through.

Back