• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does Buprecare cause drowsiness, inactivity?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I know some of the heavier duty painkillers are morphine based and can knock rabbits out a bit - I can't open any of the stuff I find on Google - I'm assuming this is one of the morphine/opioid ones?

I've got Elijah home and after breathing very fast and being panicked for a good fifteen minutes he's now very, very quiet. He has sniffed at a Fenugreek Crunchie and not bothered further. He's only been home about 40 minutes though so very early, it was only a 10 minute drive though. Invoice says Buprecare on today's entry ... why-oh-why if he's doing so well has he been given a heavy duty painkller today. This happened with Esme too, she was sent home immediately after being given strong painkiller, so was out of it.

I'm supposed to be making sure he eats well, surely knocking him out isn't a good plan. I'm going to have to ring and ask when he was given it but knowing if this could be the reason that he's just laid there would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edit to add: He was given it this morning (don't know what time but that makes it at least 4 hours ago) so hopefully he won't be heavily sedated and will nom soon.

Last edited:
buprecare is a bupronorphine based drug and will cause drowsiness and gut slow down - it is a strong pain killer and it rabbits can last 24 hours in my experience.

it is a drug of choice for many vets and does give good pain cover but personally I usually ask not to have it if anything else will do the trick (my vet will use ketamin if asked - though it does not work in quiet the same way so depends what is casing pain).

It does seem odd that if he is well enough to come home he needs that sort of pain relief. I am currently using buprenorphine patches for my pain and can certainly testify to the gut slow down!

Thanks both. That's pretty much confirmed what I already believed.

He needed strong painkillers on admission (Monday evening) and possibly Tuesday morning but was eating well from yesterday afternoon. Vet told me at 9am that he was well and ready to come home so I just can't understand why strong painkiller with those side effects. Esme had the same at same vets but was Vetergesic she was given, not sure if it's the same thing under a different name. Gutted really, as I have been so happy with his care otherwise. My experience from my usual vets is the morphine based painkiller is only given for first 24 hours or so of a 'normal' stasis episode.

At least I know the score but I'm not happy as he's not eating etc as well as he should if he hadn't been drugged up *shakes head*.

I know exactly how you feel, as I had a guinea pig given this once. She just sat around and wasn't remotely interested in eating as a result. I know what the vet was trying, as she was concerned about her pain levels (and actually by that point, with hindsight, I should have had her PTS), but it made her go downhill as a result. It lasted about 24 hours in the guinea pig.

Back