• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone clean litter trays every two days?

i'm glad i'm not the only one not cleaning every day. :lol: i changed the litter trays last night and most of it was still ok after two days. :shock: this fitch bedding is really really good. :thumb:

bisc and matt live in the lounge but we can't smell the trays and i have a very strong sense of smell. occasionally i can smell the little tray so i just change it more regularly if needed. :)

Except when they are using their litter trays.;)No-one is making out anything - merely expressing surprise that your litter trays are able to go so long without changing

Ah, but in the wild, bunnies will create a 'poo pile' which they keep topped up as a means of marking the edges of their territory. So they like sitting on a pile of **** :lol::lol::lol: Only having a joke here, before anyone gets all high and mighty and thinks I'm suggesting it's OK to leave a bunny sat in poop.

I find that fitch is really easy to spot clean, so I do every other day with one pair (who pee in the whole tray) the pairs that only use a tiny corner of the tray I spot clean on the second day and then change completely the third day.

Like you though I do them everyday in summer.

I only do it weekly as well thanks to magazorb. Before I used megazorb it was every other day. They do spend time outside though as well so a lot of it ends up in the garden.

I clean out Benji's tray everyday twice a day. :oops:

But then again, he is a giant bunny and he does a lotta pee. :lol:

Last edited:
I think it depends on what's in the litter tray to soak it up, the rabbits and how much they drink and eat, how many trays they've got, how big the tray is and how much litter there is in it, and wether there's a hay rack or not. They should be done when they need doing. I use the wood based cat litter pellets in large trays, 3 trays per pair, and they have hay in racks above. Different trays need cleaning more frequently than others, the one where the hay is gets used by both my pairs more. But the boys don't eat and drink as much as my girls so their output of wee isn't as much. So I don't think it's fair to criticise someone if they clean there's out less often than you because they may have different litters etc. mine would have to be done daily if their litter tray contained their eating hay and newspaper for example. in fact my girls won't eat any hay that has hit the floor either in or out of their tray they are so fussy!

:thumb: It's not as easy to change a large 42L box for multiple bunnies as it is to change a small cat litter tray for a single bunny.

Ah, but in the wild, bunnies will create a 'poo pile' which they keep topped up as a means of marking the edges of their territory. So they like sitting on a pile of **** :lol::lol::lol: Only having a joke here, before anyone gets all high and mighty and thinks I'm suggesting it's OK to leave a bunny sat in poop.

Well, you were joking .....

BUT my two make a pile of poo in the corner of the large raised bed they have access to ..... and, yes, they continue to sit on it. :lol:

I have to go in with a brush, spade, dustpan, etc, 'sweep' it up every week and spread it on the rest of my garden as manure!

My singles have 2 litter trays - both are large under bed storage boxes, my pair have 3 trays. I change all every 2 days. I used to change twice a day but I can't justify the cost any more.

We do Poppy's litter tray twice a week but in summer when they flies are around a lot I change it every other day.

Twice a day?? Blimey - they must wee and poo a lot :lol:.

:lol: Charlie will only do his on newspaper and as he's a very fluffy Lionlop, his bum is very very fluffy and attracts all sorts so I like to keep it clean. Otherwise he squashes it and it ends up in a mess. Cookie has hay in his litter tray so eats as he poos :lol: Also the cleaner you keep the litter trays the less likely you are to attract unwanted creatures. I am a little shocked that some people go 7-10 days there must be one HUGE pile of poo. :oops::oops:;)

:lol: Charlie will only do his on newspaper and as he's a very fluffy Lionlop, his bum is very very fluffy and attracts all sorts so I like to keep it clean. Otherwise he squashes it and it ends up in a mess. Cookie has hay in his litter tray so eats as he poos :lol: Also the cleaner you keep the litter trays the less likely you are to attract unwanted creatures. I am a little shocked that some people go 7-10 days there must be one HUGE pile of poo. :oops::oops:;)

now someone else has been brave and posted twice a day, i can say the same too :oops: :lol:

In the winter I changed his tray a couple of times a week but now its finally warmed up abit I'm changing it every other day

I remove wet patches of litter/wet hay every evening from both litter trays. I also grab handfuls of poo out :lol: But they get completely changed once a week.

As I do mine once a day.... reading this thread Im probably a bit wasteful.... but....I like to give fresh hay... thats not been weed or pood on.... take my horse... she will leave a certain amount of hay in her net every day..... if i dont chuck it.... she will leave it every day..... has to have fresh.... so im same with the buns... but.... hay is easy to get for me... so thats my excuse :eek:ops

As I do mine once a day.... reading this thread Im probably a bit wasteful.... but....I like to give fresh hay... thats not been weed or pood on.... take my horse... she will leave a certain amount of hay in her net every day..... if i dont chuck it.... she will leave it every day..... has to have fresh.... so im same with the buns... but.... hay is easy to get for me... so thats my excuse :eek:ops

mine think dirty hay is a delicacy, if its already in a bin bag it's even better :roll:

Back