• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone clean litter trays every two days?

I assume you are talking about outdoor buns? I always did mine every morning and rinsed it out with pet safe disinfectant but then I am a bit OCD:thumb:
Now he is an indoor bun its at least once a day and as I have a very good sense of smell it could be twice in summer:roll:

Mine are indoors and I also have a good sense of smell. ;) The door is always open and the windows are usually cracked a little as it gets stuffy in there room but not smelly. Well, not unless Mini's tummy plays up :mrgreen:

Its a 6 foot cage/ litter tray. emptied in the bin everyday but over winter, prob every other day to clean the litter tray. Bunnies live in the room though so they no sat in the cage. Kind of like a cat?

I usually do Moo's every night before bed, he has 2 corner litter trays, one in his pen/base and one in the corner of my room... He won't use a tray unless it's a corner one, I got him underbed storage boxes like everyone on here and he refuses to hop in, he just sits next to it and pulls the hay out :roll:

Can I point out mine do live in a large shed, so its not like their sitting in their own **** as some people seem to be making out....

I think it depends on what's in the litter tray to soak it up, the rabbits and how much they drink and eat, how many trays they've got, how big the tray is and how much litter there is in it, and wether there's a hay rack or not. They should be done when they need doing. I use the wood based cat litter pellets in large trays, 3 trays per pair, and they have hay in racks above. Different trays need cleaning more frequently than others, the one where the hay is gets used by both my pairs more. But the boys don't eat and drink as much as my girls so their output of wee isn't as much. So I don't think it's fair to criticise someone if they clean there's out less often than you because they may have different litters etc. mine would have to be done daily if their litter tray contained their eating hay and newspaper for example. in fact my girls won't eat any hay that has hit the floor either in or out of their tray they are so fussy!

I clean out the fluffies about every 5 days - we use loads of bio-catolet litter with straw on top, which I top up everyday - they don't smell and it works well.

The lops need cleaning out every 2nd day at least - probably every day in summer as they pee an awful lot and if their litter tray is smelly they find somewhere else to pee in their hutch:roll:

I clean mine out every day, morning, altho at night in the summer I do check and remove poops around their house if needed. I use newspaper and hay.

Can I point out mine do live in a large shed, so its not like their sitting in their own **** as some people seem to be making out....

Except when they are using their litter trays.;)
No-one is making out anything - merely expressing surprise that your litter trays are able to go so long without changing

Yeah, indoor/outdoor and time of year makes a big difference too!

Ludo lives in my main living space, I'm not sharing that with stinky bunny wee (sorry Ludo, love you, don't love your wee!)

Back