• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dodson and Horrell Chudleys rabbit mix...

Had 2 bunnies come into work for boarding today (Who are gorgeous by the way!) and they came in with Chudleys Rabbit Royale mix, and as rabbit mix goes it looks lovely, loads of bits of hay and petals and smells really herby. Just wondering if anyone feeds this and what you, or more importantly your bunnies think of it?

We're thinking of switching over when we finish our bag of pellets. The stuff looks and smells amazing and really interesting for the buns to eat. Not your typical mix.

I've heard mixed reviews on here, some people's buns won't touch the stuff, others love it.

I've always fed this, for over 15 years now, and its probably better than it used to be because it is less 'sticky' I think it has less molasses in it now.
My buns go mad for it!:D

If fact because we like the mix so well , we feed most of out animals a Dodsen and Horrell feed, assuming they make it for then ( don't do guinea pig food or rat food, and don't use the cat food :()
I personally feel they make good quality food at a reasonable price, we have one switched chicken food to a cheaper brand and the birds were not as healthy and we switched the pig food to a cheaper brand and the pigs became really highly strung, so in both cases we changed back and won't change again.......maybe I should write to them for sponsorship!:oops::lol:

Last edited:
It's an excellent mix :) I am considering switching my buns over to it, my last bun ate it all her life and did well on it.

Yes feed a handful of this per bun with a tablespoon of science selectives fenugreek & aniseed pellets mixed in, I wouldn't say they go mad for it as that generally lasts 24 hours but, they are good hay eaters & get veg/herbs aswell.

I've actually started to rota their veg into little & often portions through the day as they are both moulting & I can keep an eye on fluids etc doing it that way.

I like Chudleys though Dodson & HOrrrell do deliver but I found a farm who do all horsey things & they stock the 15kg sack & megazorb so I'm getting it there now to save paying delivery it's approx £8.00 a sack of 15kg & infind that lasts me a month & a half roughly for 4. I do throw away any left over and give fresh daily, I could probably make it go further if I wAited for them to eat it all and didn't bin the leftover but I worry about contamination/it drying out etc

Just looked on their website - its nice and cheap :shock: Does anyone know what the fibre content etc is in it?

Fibre 14% Protein 12% Oil 2.5% Ash 6% vitamins a = 10,000iu/kg,vitamin d =1,000 iu/kg vitamin e as alpha tocopherol acetate 50mg/kg, copper 20mg/kg

Ingredients grass,wheAt,oatfeed,barley,oats,alfalfa,maize,wheatfeed,debunked soya bean,carrot,peas,glucose,straw,dicalcium phosphate,marigolds,soya oil,mannan oligosaccharides,mint,nettle,blackcurrant extract,curcumin,with ec permitted antioxidants, mixed tocopherols, vitamin c & Rosemary extract. Fro
The 15kg bag:)

Fibre 14% Protein 12% Oil 2.5% Ash 6% vitamins a = 10,000iu/kg,vitamin d =1,000 iu/kg vitamin e as alpha tocopherol acetate 50mg/kg, copper 20mg/kg

Ingredients grass,wheAt,oatfeed,barley,oats,alfalfa,maize,wheatfeed,debunked soya bean,carrot,peas,glucose,straw,dicalcium phosphate,marigolds,soya oil,mannan oligosaccharides,mint,nettle,blackcurrant extract,curcumin,with ec permitted antioxidants, mixed tocopherols, vitamin c & Rosemary extract. Fro
The 15kg bag:)

Thank you thats not a bad fibre content

Does anyone know what the calcium content is?

They were selling large sacks of this where Bluesmum kindly took me to get a bale of hay. It would work out loads cheaper than the SS I am currently buying at £7.99 a 3k bag, even if I mixed it in with the SS.

Sue is on a low calcium diet though and I don't want to give her something that is much higher in calcium than SS. Now she is bonded with my group of three:D I can't really feed her separately.

I didn't see calcium content on the bag sorry I think if you email Dodson & Horrell you'll maybe be advised, looking at the ingredients I'd hazard a guess it's relatively low per kg. Are you talking about Kitnocks farm in Botley ? That's the one I get it from with the megazorb now, I saw the baled hay but wasn't sure about it as it wasn't dust extracted and smelt a bit damp to me, I spoke to the farmer about it & he said it's pesticide free but they do use fertiliser on the fields, it was last years cut that was out in the barn/ shed /shop when i went so I thought I would have a look at the new cut in summer and see how that smelt.

Yes I add a tablespoon of science selectives per bun to the Chudleys and funnily enough they pick that out whereas if I were to put just the pellets down I bet they'd not eat them - tikes :lol:

Last edited:
My gang really seem to enjoy it, much more than pellets. They did get a bit chunky though last time I fed it, so I have cut down the amount I feed them now and in turn they eat more hay so all good :)

I feed it alongside Science Selective and my lot LOVE it, bowls cleaned in minutes :)

It smells lovely and I like that it has alot of variety for them.

Kath - I can let you have some to try if you want? I need to come and meet your piggies :)

I've always fed this, for over 15 years now, and its probably better than it used to be because it is less 'sticky' I think it has less molasses in it now.
My buns go mad for it!:D

:

Bought some for my buns once and 2 of them got immediate bloat and stassis - I think that was when it had mollases in it. I wouldn't touch it again. But thats not to say it doesn't work for other buns.

Bluesmum took me to somewhere past Shedfield, Vicki. It was a horsey place but they sold other stuff too. The hay seemed fine and my buns have enjoyed nomming it. I think I will try some RR next time I go there.

Bluesmum took me to somewhere past Shedfield, Vicki. It was a horsey place but they sold other stuff too. The hay seemed fine and my buns have enjoyed nomming it. I think I will try some RR next time I go there.

Oh yeah I was going to try and find that place just outside Wickham/Shedfield, I can't remember where exactly it is now though, Kitnocks bales were OK for horses I reckon but, I didn't like to risk it with buns little tums so I've carried on with the stuff I get from the Hayexperts, as I say it might be better quality in the summer, if you remember next time you speak to Bluesmum can you ask her for directions, I'm in Stubbington so it's not too far at all, I'm sure someone did give me directions once - I'm such a dork I deleted the PM I think. Yes try it if they don't like it then stick with what they have, Jingle my little rescue rex was brought up for a couple of years on a mix of much lower quality so this was a good way of getting him to eat pellets, they all seem to like it here and they are getting their SS pellets aswell so all good.:D

Oh I know Kitnocks Farm, used to buy loads of stuff from there. The other place you are thinking of could be Shedfield Nursery, VickiP if you come from Stubbington, thru Wickham it should be on the same Botley Road but before you get to Kitnocks, just after The Wheatsheaf pub.

I'm tempted to try my buns with this food, just a bit chicken about changing them to a mix in case they get fussy. Maybe I'll think about it a bit longer, or get them a small bag for treats.

I've always used it, and it does seem nice and fresh. They haven't been eating the barley bits lately though :shock:

Oh I know Kitnocks Farm, used to buy loads of stuff from there. The other place you are thinking of could be Shedfield Nursery, VickiP if you come from Stubbington, thru Wickham it should be on the same Botley Road but before you get to Kitnocks, just after The Wheatsheaf pub.

I'm tempted to try my buns with this food, just a bit chicken about changing them to a mix in case they get fussy. Maybe I'll think about it a bit longer, or get them a small bag for treats.

It is indeed Shedfeild I go to. If you know where the big animed hospital is then it is just further down the road. There are signs advertising fireworks just outside. :wave:

Yes I use this, my buns love it. Please hunt out a farm shop. I buy 15kg for £7.80. I do alturnate with rabbit pellets and other rabbit muslie mixes.

I used to mix Science Selective, allen and page and chudleys together but found chudleys seemed to vary quite a bit between sacks from very sticky to dry. Might just have been the feed supplier I was using at the time though as the readigrass from them had a dead mouse in it once and some of the paper sacks used to be damp.

Back