• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unusual and sudden aggression

Griff

Young Bun
Just after a bit of advice and reassurance.
I’ve had my first ever experience of a rabbit lunging and going at my leg (small bite) today. Despite her being an absolute softie normally and having had bunnies (6) a long time it’s never happened to me before. I’m quite upset.

I am pretty certain it’s referred aggression.

Situation: we have had Summer for 5 months. We got her to bond to Elwood who lost his partner early this year. She is 2.5 years old and a real softie (head rubs all the time). Took a while to bond them mainly because neither were really bothered about taking charge. He ended up being the dominant one (as I expected as he was before). They have been together in the same space for 3 weeks now. All gone well. Plenty of grooming, eat together all the time etc. no signs of a problem.

Today I stepped in their run (he was upstairs, she was in run but at the other side) to clean them out. She does get quite excited and she’s very attached to me (comes up, wants attention and head rubs, been known to nibble my shoes).
Well she came at me when I got in. She lunged at me and started to bite at my trouser leg. She really hung on and wouldn’t let go (I have a small bite near ankle but nothing major).

After I managed to get out the run, she was then running up and down the perimeter a lot as if guarding the run. My husband came out and he got in to try (she lunged once but didn’t bite and then just sat near his feet. Think she sees him as boss whereas as I am her main carer!).

She really didn’t calm down for ages which isn’t like her. Usually as soon as I stroke her she loafs and just loves being stroked.

So we have another bonded pair. She’s been near them for 5 months and clearly knows and smells them. But the hutch she is in now is slightly nearer and more in direct sight.
So I’ve now blocked off the side of the run which she can see them. As I’m convinced it is like a jealousy or territory thing. She does seem to have a thing about me as if others getting attention makes her jealous.

Hoping this helps. And I will not get in there for a few days and hope she calms down! 😢

PS all my bunnies are spayed / neutered

This is an interesting one. I’m afraid I’m not a behavioural expert although I’m sure there will some ru friends who can post from a vast wealth of experience. The only thing I have to offer is could your bunny have pain somewhere? Is it a reaction to some possible discomfort?
I’m sorry that’s all I’ve got to bring to the table on this one but I hope that you can find out why your bunny is suddenly changing what is otherwise placid behaviour.
Craig x

It does appear as if she is showing territorial behaviour and as you suspect is showing referred aggression.

Blocking off the sight may help, but ultimately it may be the stronger smell that is bothering her.

Try to clean her enclosure with a white vinegar/water mixture to neutralise everything and watch her behaviour closely as I wouldn't rule out an underlying health concern.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

She may also be reacting to you smelling of the other rabbits, especially if you are the one doing the daily cleaning, etc. So she's treating you as a rabbit intruder, as that's what you smell like to her. Maybe use eg a spare pair of wellies just do just the others and leave them outside her enclosure, then the smell of the other rabbits won't be on your trousers.

Thanks for the comments so far. I agree it could be smells as she seems quite jealous. It’s just odd that I’ve had her 5 months and have always cleaned and been with the other rabbits.
Now she is reacting to it more.
Today husband went to give her a treat (perfectly normal) and she bit at his hand. Again like she was freaked or scared of losing out and she snapped at him. Then 10 mins later he was stroking and giving her head rubs with no hint of aggression at all.

Daphne used to go through phases of this as we went into winter and spring. I suspected she had some of her ovary tissue left which resulted in hormonal behaviours.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back