• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your rabbits have veg every day?

Do your rabbits have veg every day?

• Yes

Votes: 95 85.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 14.4%

• Total voters
am i wrong but is that what rabbits eat. Mine have a almost constant supply of fresh green food with tons of hay and a hand full of pellets. just wonderin what do your rabbits eat if they dont get veg?
I forgot to mention the grass and dandylions that are freely available now, they love the natural food.:)

Mine have veg in the morning, hay all day - mine are big hay eaters! and pellets at night.

I dont think too much veg is good for them, though im not sure! 90% of their diet should be hay so I think if they fill up on veg or pellets they are likely to eat less hay..

Sof has veg everyday, usually 2/3 sometimes 4 different veggies a day depending on what is in the fridge! She is a huge hay eater and will leave her veg when she is full and saves some to nibble on later. (Her poops are perfect so I know that she isn't having too much)

She has pellets in the morning :)

Yes every morning about three to four different types a day. Merlin threw a strop the other morning as I had to swap veg for pellets as the veg I thought was OK was not and he had to have it in the evening :roll:

Mine get it twice a day, quite a big bowl with a variety of veg to share. I usually buy spring greens, kale, sprouts, carrots, broccolli, cabbage and celery and give them a mix of three or 4 of these per day. I do wonder if I give them too much but they're both good hay eaters and love their veg too!

Mine get it when ever I'm leaving them, as a treat after their feet medicine (morning & evening) and then when I'm cooking they get the peelings.
all hell is let loose if I don't share my banana in the morning :roll: :lol:

mine get Fresh greens and Carrots everyday thats all though and about once a week il give them a little bit of apple and use Banana as a rare treat. I worry if i give them to much veg they will get bloat or statis :oops: as its been proved that fruit and veg can cause bloat in other small animals so fear it'll be the same for rabbits to.

Yep, every night before I go to bed. I pull out all my bags and containers of veg and fill up my rabbits bowl with a mix of endive, celery, bok choy, herbs, cos lettuce, chicory etc etc. She also has access to fresh grass everyday. She has it straight from the fridge and doesn't seem to object. I'm sure one night without veg won't harm them as long as they have plenty of hay :)

Mine have brocoli and greens in the morning, and a little carrot and a sprout in the evening.
If I'm ever short of anything they have some dandelion leaves and herbs instead:D

I dug up all the dandelions in my garden last night. They loved them. I don't know why they couldn't do that themselves:roll:

My rabbits get at least 2 different veg a day. I think consistency is important in a diet. A special trip to the supermarket is no uncommon just to get them something!

Fruit is given less often, perhaps just twice a week.

Herb are given as a treat due to cost - summer is coming though so can now easily be grown :)

Snipped grass is popular if they can't get out to graze for themselvs.

Hannah

mine get greens everyday. altho they only have small amounts, when i studied animal care tho we only fed greens every other day to the rabbits and everyday to g.pigs. Its a good idea to grow a few green lettuce in a few pots in the summer. I try to grow as much as possible its suprising the money you save, also i keep a bag of raisins handy so when i run out of greens they have a few of them as a treat instead.:)

Back