• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you think its better...

Which would you go for?

• hutch and run

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • shed and free range

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters
I'd probably go for an aviary with a large hutch inside. If you put a roof on the aviary snow won't settle inside and buns can still have access to the outdoors. A hutch with long legs will maximize floor area, and you can add a ramp or steps up to the hutch (I've made a platform/step out of one of those decking squares you can buy from DIY stores)

I think this is an excellent idea. I am sure you let them free range too.

Out of the two options I voted for a hutch and run. A shed alone would be too hot in the summer and, even with a mesh door, not very airy imo. I don't free range unsupervised either for reasons already mentioned.

I much prefer Amy's aviary suggestion though as it would be the best of both worlds - a large, safe area to run around in, with shelter when needed too. :thumb:

I do not wish to turn this into an argument as it defeats the point of the post however, your posts are very facitious " foxes dont knock on your door etc. I am sure that between myself, my family as well as an extremely large number of people I know in this town would know if there had ever been a fox sighted. My dog would also be aware of this as would chase away anything that entered the garden he did not recognise!

my vote is and remains shed and free range time!

I do not wish to turn this into an argument as it defeats the point of the post however, your posts are very facitious " foxes dont knock on your door etc. I am sure that between myself, my family as well as an extremely large number of people I know in this town would know if there had ever been a fox sighted. My dog would also be aware of this as would chase away anything that entered the garden he did not recognise!

my vote is and remains shed and free range time!

So the first time a fox enters your town what do you think is going to happen?

How many people are standing guard around your garden to tell you before he comes into your garden and eats your rabbits?

with a space of 6ft x7ft, could you not have a 6x4 shed with a 6x3run attached? If you made the run yourself you can make it to fit the exact space you have :)

It's pouring with rain outside at the moment, a shed seems like a good idea :lol:

(doens't mean they can't have some free range time as well)

So the first time a fox enters your town what do you think is going to happen?

How many people are standing guard around your garden to tell you before he comes into your garden and eats your rabbits?

What do you mean how many people are standing guard?
Do you think the children playing outside-wither side of my fence are going to sit there and watch a fox climb into my garden- bearing mind no-one will have seen one - so naturally they wont recat to that at all will they? YOu think my dog will happily let another animal into the garden beraing in mind he chases anything new that comes into the garden. All this in broad daylight wither late morning or afternoon? Whilst I am usually in a room with a window overlooking the buns?

I like my buns to have free range time, but I cannot give them all that time whilst watching them 24/7! Therefore I am prepared to take that 1% risk to allow them to enjoy that time - time I feel is very important to them! You may have a difference of opinion and thats fine! I am not judging you for it - but do not think that you can have a go at me for a difference in opinion and for voicing it!

This post does not require a reply!

with a space of 6ft x7ft, could you not have a 6x4 shed with a 6x3run attached? If you made the run yourself you can make it to fit the exact space you have :)

It's pouring with rain outside at the moment, a shed seems like a good idea :lol:

(doens't mean they can't have some free range time as well)

That's basically what I have, a 6x4 shed with their old freestanding wooden 6x 4 run attached to it (which my hubby made fit as he is very good at DIY). Then each day (late afternoon/evening) (weather dependant obviously) I let them out for garden time. Although this is not completely free range as our garden isn't bunny proof, so they have a massived panelled area which feels to them like free range, they can run at speed and binky and they love it!

If it were indoors, I would say a C&C cage without run would be ok, though not ideal, as long as they have plenty of free range time. But outdoors I would say no because outdoor free range time isn't safe. I realize not everyone's yard is really unsafe (like mine is) but even still I would not be prepared to take the risk.

Shed every time. I love going in there and sitting with them. Also easier to clean and I can still spend time with them even when its raining or in the winter.

I can also put a tiny radiator in there in the winter to keep the frost off their water.

Back