• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you think its better...

Which would you go for?

• hutch and run

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • shed and free range

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
to have a hutch with a run

or

a shed with free range time.

Im trying to decide my next step.

I currently have a hutch that needs replacing. So looking into hutches and sheds.

I have approx 6ftx7ft of space.

Which means I could have a hutch with run or a shed. I often think about bun in the winter, and what space would be accessible in the snow/ice/horrible conditions.

That swings me to the shed set up.

But summer it would be nice that they could get out into a run. ( shed with cat flat?? and a detachable run)

I'd probably go for an aviary with a large hutch inside. If you put a roof on the aviary snow won't settle inside and buns can still have access to the outdoors. A hutch with long legs will maximize floor area, and you can add a ramp or steps up to the hutch (I've made a platform/step out of one of those decking squares you can buy from DIY stores)

I went for hutch with run, only cos I would concider them safer in a run rather than free ranging! cos me personally, mine would need superivsion! x

By free range I mean what they currently have. there is a fence around the garden, where they are allowed to go and , I watch them out of the window

I would go for a shed for selfish reasons in that in winter/ rain etc it is alot nicer to clean out a shed than a hutch!!

a shed with a run.. best of both worlds!

housing004.jpg

Mine have a hutch but I have to physically pick them up and put them in their run in the day. They also have 15 minutes bomb about in the garden before bed. If it's a rotten day they stay in their hutch (they're only young).

I would never let them out and go back in the house. You couldn't do much from indoors if a predator appeared.

freerange!
Mine have a shed and run, but i prefer to let them out for free range time!

regarding preditors: the buns have the multople cover options and wach of us know about the preditors in the area. I dont believe I have any. There is a 6ft fence and high conifers all the way down th left side and the right side is a 6ft fence and a neighbours house.

There re no foxes in this area, just the odd cat. But since one came and saw Beau hes not been back since. That was 12 months ago.

freerange!
Mine have a shed and run, but i prefer to let them out for free range time!

regarding preditors: the buns have the multople cover options and wach of us know about the preditors in the area. I dont believe I have any. There is a 6ft fence and high conifers all the way down th left side and the right side is a 6ft fence and a neighbours house.

There re no foxes in this area, just the odd cat. But since one came and saw Beau hes not been back since. That was 12 months ago.

To be blunt you don't know whether there are foxes in the area or not. You also can do nothing about birds. There was a thread recently about someone who found their bun being harassed by birds of some kind and was in complete shock. A stray cat could suddenly show up and start attacking your rabbits and the first you know of it could be a severe injury to one of your rabbits.

Actuall yes i know for a fact that my town does not have foxes. I have lived here for 25 years, my mother for another 25, my grandmother etc! I think that it is extremely rude of you and presumptious.

Each indicdual knows the risks of their own town!

With regards to birds, we have blackbirds, swallows and seagulls. They no longer come into my garden because Beau likes to chase them, as do the cats! As I have already explained I have the smae situation with cats!
My Cats and dogs are all isnide when buns are out, unless I am in the garden with them. As my buns are bigger than my cats my cats dont bother with the buns. beau couldnt care less about the buns and they will often sit with him!

Actuall yes i know for a fact that my town does not have foxes. I have lived here for 25 years, my mother for another 25, my grandmother etc! I think that it is extremely rude of you and presumptious.

That's what I thought too I have lived in my house for 12 years and never seen a fox until a couple of months ago when one was in my back garden and nearly got my bunnies :( I do not think it rude for someone to warn you about foxes sorry

Luckily my 3 bunnies were OK but only because I happened to be in the conservatory and saw the fox and scared him off.

Since this I now have a fox deterrent up on the wall and have bought a massive run with wire sides and roof and NEVER let my bunnies free range unless I am actually standing in the garden with them.

in our old house i used to let my bun free range in the garden as it was smaller and walled all the way around.

if he was out my dogs would go lie in the garden and just watch over him. :love: i knew he was totally safe with them and i just kept checking them..
he had his own bodyguards!:lol:

I don't mean to sound rude but think that its naive to say your town doesn't have foxes just because you haven't seen any, I've lived in my town for 28 years and seen foxes about twice. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there now or won't arrive in the future.

if I had the room I would go worth shed and run.

With regards to birds, we have blackbirds, swallows and seagulls. They no longer come into my garden because Beau likes to chase them, as do the cats! As I have already explained I have the smae situation with cats!
My Cats and dogs are all isnide when buns are out, unless I am in the garden with them. As my buns are bigger than my cats my cats dont bother with the buns. beau couldnt care less about the buns and they will often sit with him!
Foxes don't knock on your door and introduce themselves. The first time anyone sees a fox in your town could be the time they kill your rabbit. They could snatch your rabbit and leave without anyone seeing them. Or they could just decapitate your rabbit leaving you to guess what happened. It's happened to people on these very forums who thought there were no foxes in their area.
Even if there are no foxes for 100 miles around you could end up with a stray dog in your garden killing your rabbits.

Back