• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you sometimes not bother to do the buns?

Well after years of cleaning out rabbit hutches in all weathers, I thought I had it made when we got the shed. However Lillie & Trooper have other ideas. :roll: They only use their litter tray occasionally (I assume when it's bucketing down), preferring instead to use the end of their run to which they have access 24/7. So now I end up crawling into the run armed with a shovel on a regular basis instead. :lol:

Mike

Well after years of cleaning out rabbit hutches in all weathers, I thought I had it made when we got the shed. However Lillie & Trooper have other ideas. :roll: They only use their litter tray occasionally (I assume when it's bucketing down), preferring instead to use the end of their run to which they have access 24/7. So now I end up crawling into the run armed with a shovel on a regular basis instead. :lol:

Mike

Mine love using the far end of their runs too as they have 24/7 access also. I crawl in with my waterproofs on with a shovel, brush and a trowel to scrape any stuck on bits of poop. But TBH i love cleaning out in any weather am very much an outdoor person

I've just been out to the rabbits in my gorgeously sexy mac, with hood up, plastic bags covering their food and Snugglesafe, and the wind and rain is ridiculous!

And where are the rabbits? Sitting out in it, of course!

Got absolutely soaked today though doing the outdoor rabbits at the rescue, but seeing them clean with fresh hay always makes up for it!

Totally agree ;):D

Mine arn't too bad as they are also in a shed and at work I am outside all day anyway so often I'll just think " whats another 2 hours I 'm already frozen to the core!" :roll::lol:

My bunnies like to do their poop and wee in their beds! Wolfie used to be such a good wee soul and always did his poos outside in the corner of the compound. He never did anything in the hutch at all. However, as soon as Gloria appeared it all changed. When in separate hutches it was clear she was a bedwetter. I tried everything to get her to use a litter tray but to no use. Unfortunately, it has rubbed off on Wolfie and they both wet their bed now. I have managed to get a large roller tray which will fit their bed and I can pull out from underneath. It is quick to change. I check it daily and if they have just done a lot of poos on the top, tip them off into a bucket and lift out the wet hay. They give a shake, put fresh on and put it back.

I would dealy love to get them pooing in a litter try in their 'sitting room' and have put a tray in their soaked with their urine and with some poos on to give them the idea, but they just ignored it.

Mine have two litter trays which have their hay in and they get cleaned out every day. I also pick up stray poops on a morning when I feed them as well as on a teatime when I clean out the trays.

Their hutch is carpeted so there is no mess apart from the litter trays and the odd bits of hay that have fell out.

I think their hutch carpet is as clean as my house carpet:lol:

Well I couldn't live in a dirty house so why should they.

I always remove the dirty bedding from Rowans hutch eveyday.. she's not litter trained and likes to move where she goes but so long as she's comfortable thats all that matters. Also as she's alone, I really need to spend at least a couple of hours out there a day anyway so she's not lonesome. Course the past few days Ive been getting soaked but it's all part of the fun!

Mike

you could try putting a covered litter tray where they're going in the run..?

HOUSE BUNNIES !!! with hops in the garden in the summer for extra exercise ... its dark, cold and raining and Mr Brown is chewing his willow sticks next to me !! :lol::lol::lol:

I moved my bunnies in for the winter so I could spend more time with them, and they get more exercise this way. Its so much nicer not having to go outside in the rain to feed them as well and they seem happier.

But I do their litter tray every other day, and I still end up with soiled bedding blown all over me when its really windy trying to tip it into the wheelie bin.

I do mine whatever the weather, i was outside yesterday and it was pouring down, had my brolly up hubby said i was mad lol

It happens...
I rarely clean the outdoor cages out if it's pouring down, or if I come home from school/work completely exhausted:lol:
Though sometimes I just have to bare it, it was after about a week of rain and no hutch-cleaning (not to mention being cooped up in the hutch for several days:shock:) that Sasuke got sore feet.:cry: So I make sure to clean out their cages before it gets too bad, regardless of weather, especially for the rexes (though as a rule I clean out Zakura and Aroma's cages at the same time so she's not left out:D)

If they need cleaning out I'll do them whatever the weather.. I clean the piggies hutches out every 2 days but I have been known to leave it an extra day if it looks clean enough...

Last edited:
I'd never not do Bobbin, but then he is a house bun! ;)

I honestly don't think I could live with myself if I didn't do him if he were outside. Like other people have said, it makes it all worth while seeing them dry, clean and cosy.

I have made his house very easy to clean, I know it's different because he doesn't have lots of straw for insulation, but you need to develop a system that is quick and affective that means the buns don't suffer.

If its raining really bad I dont scrub out the whole hutch just because it takes forever to dry and I cant have an extension lead with the hutch drying hairdryer sitting in the middle of the garden while its raining, mine use litter trays though so the wood doesnt get wet and I only scrub the hutches each week because I want them to be nice and clean for my buns. And litter trays are done daily anyway.

I would never not bother because of the weather, no matter what the weather I am out there every day spending time with all of them. I sat in the rain in Beau's run for about an hour before I got ready for work today giving him noserubs.

i clean thumper out wat ever the weather but his hutch is in a shed!;) nextdoor havent cleaned theirs out for 2 months now!!!!looks disgusting!x

Back