• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever query your vets charges?

Wow, that's expensive.. :shock: I paid €60,- (which is about £52..) for a dental + painmeds (Carprofen) and a check up the week after.. Now my vet is on the cheaper side, but still.. Are these normall prices? :shock:

That does seem expensive :? The first time my buns needed dentals I had to pay for the consultation but now I just drop them off in the morning and the vet wil do a quick check (which is free) and there is no charge for them staying in the hospital all day either.

I get charged £60 for the anasthetic and dental combined plus £15-20 if they have been given gut stimulants or antibiotics.

Well, I've sent that letter in an email - I don't want to come across as pushy or anything, but I like to know why I'm billed differently on each occasion.

I had a very similar siuation recently when Phoebe An went in for her dental. When I rang to book her in, the receptionist gave me a quote of approx £70 - £80 & said I would not be charged consultation for the vet to confirm she needed a dental. When I collected her that evening they tried to charge me £132 :shock: I questioned it - turns out I had been charged consultation & the quote the receptionist had given me was from the 2008 pricelist :? They refused to take the consultation fee off at first but I was really annoyed as I'd specifically asked wether I'd be charged to see the vet...they wouldn't have admitted her unless the vet saw her so you can't win :roll: I kicked up a bit of a fuss & they did eventually take the consult charge off so it ended up costing £105. I'm sure the only reason they decided to take it off was because myself & various members of family are their best customers :roll:

I almost queried something, well I did but didn't push it. It was a checkup for Mischa's weight and Nutmeg's wound. The vet said I didn't have to pay as he'd said previously on about three or four occasions. But when I got home off holiday I had a letter waiting for me asking for £12 payment for a checkup for Mischa. Nothing for Nutmeg. I did query it and they said the vet is the one who makes up the bills. In the end I said I'd just pay it cos it wasn't a huge amount and we'd already had several free checkups for both of them.

Mischa's dental was about £80 but he didn't need much doing. They told me that it depends on the extent of the work needed.

Wowness.

At my mums vets, where any of my pets at my mums house go, we are usually charged £50-70 for a dental. My Tipsy bob had two ops on her leg/tum for abcsesses and those included an overnight stay and lots of meds and even those were only £70......

Mind you, he knows how poor my mum is.

One of the buns had to have his front teeth removed as they started growing abnormally and his op was £60, Harry had an op a few months ago (god rest his soul) and his dental was £60..... :?

I wouldnt like to guess how much a dental would be at my vets though.... they are VERY expencive because they have Jason Burgess, king of all rabbit vets. He neutered Rimmi and that was £69 including a follow up appointment and an overnight stay if needed. (great price though eh? *giggles*)

See, I know because of the area that the costs will be higher as they have higher rent/rates etc, and they always have loads of vets and nurses around.

The vaccs are very reasonable, and we get 10% discount for having all 4 buns done at once.

The neutering was a lot less expensive....

I am glad you sent the letter! I think alot of vets seem to vary the prices to suit them.

For example. Chloe (one of my rabbits!) had a dental on the Monday and that cost £70 including pain relief and a check up.

FOUR DAYS later, Peter had a dental. His cost £140! He then had to go to the vet every day for one week, and I had to pay for meds each time. He was also hospitalised for another day which cost about £22. In total, Peter cost over £200.

Peter will need regular dentals (so far he has gone 4 weeks 4 days since the last dental - best so far!), so I think I need to query my vets to see what the ACTUAL price for a dental is.

It is a bit unfair to compare vet prices as some vets have no or very few qualified vet nurses whereas others have several qualified vet nurses, wages is one of the biggest costs for a vet. The nurses are the ones who monitor the anesthetic. Some vets run a pre anesthetic blood screen whereas others don't.

Blackberry the letter looked good to me as you need to know why there is a price difference and what to expect in the future.

Insurance should not make a difference but I have heard from other people that they feel it does make a difference.

I am glad you sent the letter! I think alot of vets seem to vary the prices to suit them.

For example. Chloe (one of my rabbits!) had a dental on the Monday and that cost £70 including pain relief and a check up.

FOUR DAYS later, Peter had a dental. His cost £140! He then had to go to the vet every day for one week, and I had to pay for meds each time. He was also hospitalised for another day which cost about £22. In total, Peter cost over £200.

Peter will need regular dentals (so far he has gone 4 weeks 4 days since the last dental - best so far!), so I think I need to query my vets to see what the ACTUAL price for a dental is.

Could this be explained by the amount of work they had to do as I mentioned in my post? I guess the more there is to be done, the longer they have to work.

Could this be explained by the amount of work they had to do as I mentioned in my post? I guess the more there is to be done, the longer they have to work.

My itemised bill has a set amount (£33) for dental work, regardless of how much there is.

It's the variation between consultation costs and admissions fees that I'm querying.

My itemised bill has a set amount (£33) for dental work, regardless of how much there is.

It's the variation between consultation costs and admissions fees that I'm querying.

Ah I see. I was more wondering about it for tanya cos I vaguely read something about your itemised bill.

I wonder if I still have an itemised bill for Mischa's.

Ah I see. I was more wondering about it for tanya cos I vaguely read something about your itemised bill.

I wonder if I still have an itemised bill for Mischa's.

I always keep the itemised bills - I like to know exactly what I'm paying for, and see how much things have gone up by .

I think the letter is great, but I have nothing to offer re the price they charge - I have no experience in this area!! I must ask the vet when I take my two for their vaccinations what they would charge, just for interest.

I think the letter is great, but I have nothing to offer re the price they charge - I have no experience in this area!! I must ask the vet when I take my two for their vaccinations what they would charge, just for interest.

Your insurance should cover yours, shouldn't it?

Yes it would but I was gonna ask for you - just to see what it would be in my vet. Totally pointless, but I have no life so I find it interesting!! :oops::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I know that I live in one of the more expensive areas of the country so the charges will be higher, but it's interesting to see what other people pay.

Just gotta find some way of paying the money back to my mum now :oops:

:lol::lol::lol:

I know that I live in one of the more expensive areas of the country so the charges will be higher, but it's interesting to see what other people pay.

Just gotta find some way of paying the money back to my mum now :oops:

Ahem, well, this is a perfect opportunity for me to em, eh, bring up the subject of, you know, the urm, portrait of the dearly departed Maddy... ahem, whatever you charge me for that could help..... dont like to remind you as I know you're busy with bunny baubles etc.... :oops:

Ahem, well, this is a perfect opportunity for me to em, eh, bring up the subject of, you know, the urm, portrait of the dearly departed Maddy... ahem, whatever you charge me for that could help..... dont like to remind you as I know you're busy with bunny baubles etc.... :oops:

Have finished the coloured pencil drawing :)

Do you want me to try it in paints? Personally I think the drawing looks better than it ever would in paints, but don't mind having a go if you want :)

Back