• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do we have a right to choose a rabbit on looks?

I don't recall choosing a rabbit for its looks, ever (I think my parents did though). Personality was always far more important to me. Equally though, in recent years the rabbits have chosen me :evil:

That all said, I don't see anything wrong with having preferences for appearance (or anything else of that matter), but I do think it would be narrow minded to focus solely on that and not pay attention to anything else about the rabbit (not saying anyone here said they did that or anything).

Although in my mind I have certain looks that I prefer, in reality t is usually something in the way an animal behaves that attracts me to it. Choosing Tara (my Bridge Snake) I was holding the reptiles and she made me jump out my skin rattling at me- I never knew snakes that weren't rattle snakes could do that and the man said "oh I'll put this one away shes got attitude" and I just had to have her! Sadie the dog I had, when I look around the rescues and I looked at a lot of rescues. I had in my mnd what I wanted which was a collie of some description, and not white because white animals tend to have more health problems in my experience and I ended up with a white cross staffie. But there was something about her, when I looking in to her kennel she wiggled up sooo close to the bars and it was almost like if she could have done she would have morphed through the bars to be near me and my heart melted. She would press herself to you so close my then o/h used to always say she would be happy if you let her crawl inside so she could actually sleep next to your heart- she loved cuddles that much.

I got Toby based on looks and he was my first rabbit. I got Lola because I saw a picture of her and it said somebody had returned her because they didn't like her. I went and picked her up and she was such a fiesty little thing! I saw Lilou on the rescue thread here and she just looked like such a little princess who just needed love and she is turning out lovely. She even comes over for a cheeky nudge and when its tea time. I didn't chose Benji or Kira, they where chosen by Pixie_rabbit as the most temprementally matched and tried with their partner buns. I'm not a great fan of lops and I would have preferred not to have anoter Harliquin but I wouldnt change them for the world now I have them.

All of the horses I had I fell in love with their attitude rather than looks. I had a couple that in my opinion were butt ugle but I loved them, and my favorite (Bridge) hamster was the ugliest one of the bunch lol.

I didnt chose Sooty for her looks we had her because she was ill and dying, Oreo was a P@H bun and we were looking for a friend for Sooty and he was there all on his own, was very much an impulse buy and before my RU days..
Charlie and Mittens were on Looks - I have always liked dutches and Charlie came up on rabbits in need with a sad story attached so I knew I had to have him straight away.. and Mittens was just based on looks because shes adorable and I knew I HAD to have her :D
I dont love one any more than the other because they are better looking because in the end their personalities always shine through

thinking about it ive never picked my bunny!!!!

i wanted a lionhead, ste wanted a lop... ok lets get a lop then... i wanted the white splodgy one, ste wanted the black one........ Alvin came home :lol:

Oh I forgot to say aswell, I think it is wrong to choose an animal solely on looks because when it comes down to it no matter how they look if they are not tempermentally right for you or suited to the environment you can give them then it is going to be far harder to make it work and you may even end up having to rehome, or even worse neglecting them because you cant meet their needs or even starting to dislike them. It could be a primary factor but definately not the sole factor.

I think it is personaly opinion, maybe you want different colours for change so they don't look the same. I understand their point but I don't gree with it. Thats pretty much like saying if you're a child you're a naughty child because children do what they do best, make a mess and cause trouble! I think that colour and size is sometimes just a choice and preference for people. I wanted a rabbit a different colour to mine and to have uppy ears too.

I went looking for a male dwarf lop because I had been told from lots of sources they have good temperament to be a house bunny. I didn't plan on getting Jenson they day we did, but as soon as I saw him that was it :love:

As and when its time for us to find him a friend, then I hope to have a good look around myself, chat about temperament, basically short list with the help of a rescue before I take him along. But breed will play a part as this affects some kind of temperament and unless I'm told otherwise, similar size would be good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Each one of us will see something different and beautiful in each rabbit so why shouldn't we be able to chose.

i dont think it should matter what colour the bunnies are and if you have a preference then thats fine as far as im concerned but it doesnt mean that you wont end up going home with something completly different! i think the key is to be open minded about what you need personality wise! you will fall in love with the right buns or they with you!

my ideal bunnys if you had asked me to pick before i had any of my bunnies would've been..... a giant agouti coloured bun paired with a black frenchie!!!! and would have been litter trained and very cuddlly.....and everyone knows iv never had nor have i got that combi at all!!!!!!

i love all my buns and they are perfect for me and so are my favourites and wouldnt change them for anything because of course instead i have a dwarf lop grey dental bun but arthur is sooooo cuddly and had such a sad story and he was a freind for dora and she picked him, then i have dora a very pretty coloured chinchilla nethie cross when i went to collect her and her sister i had no idea what they looked like only that they were in dire need of a home, she doesnt even really like cuddles and has so many health issues now with the ec, but id never change her for the world i love the fact she has attitude and she shows her affection differntly to other buns,
then i have coco my black lionhead bunny he is gorgeous to look at but is elderly and half blind and a dental bun, and then kitty my very pretty double lionhead, so bunny fru fru in how fluffy she is not the type of bun i would automatically go for....but again her age and personality were perfect match for coco and i love her very very much she is the sweetest little thing ever! so the best laid plans...... in fact from the start iv never had giants, and iv never had my own agouti coloured bunny! iv had prior to my current 4 a blue eyed white nethie, an english spot, a black bunny with brown flecks a brown helicoptor lop and another chinchilla coloured bunny. but i loved all of them i think that rescues dont want you to say im only having a white rabbit then choose one who isnt compatible personality wise with you i dont think they mind you havinga preference to colour really?

I love thriantas, but I'd choose a million Harleys over a million thriantas any day (And Harleys not exactly the 'prettiest' looking bun). I don't think its wrong to like a rabbit because of its looks

I have seen on some rescue websites, that if you care about the colour and looks of the rabbit you want, you will not be allowed to adopt from them. Some think you shouldn't have a rabbit if you care about colour and looks.

What do you think? They reason I chose Islay & Jura as because Islay was black and white patchy, which is what I had wanted for a long time, and Jura just happened to come with her as they were bonded.

i dont think so depends on what you want of course if you show you are looking for a certain look and type and of course colour, when im getting new show bunny of course im looking for all those things but more important temprement too as that is the most important thing !
but when im looking for just a pet its more like awww thats cute ill have that one :love::lol:
and yes im a sucker for cuteness we have more pets than show rabbits at the moment from robbie rotten the huge nethie cross to ben the fuzz butt lion lop and several mini rex too i just love random missfits :love:
when we decided it was time for a new mini rex we could have got a show bunny but silly me fell for 3 a blue with a white spodge on its head, a blue eyed white and a martin sable all of which cant be shown but they are so cute and adorable and amazing :love:

Last edited:
When I was looking for bunnies - I wanted small bunnies as I thought, (soon prooved wrong) that small bunnies would need less space!!!:roll:

So I went to a breeder who had mini lops. He only breeds black rabbits so hence Benson and Lola.

Knowing what I know now - would I specifically go for a certain size of bunny - no because I've had to drastically enlarde Benben and Lolsies living quarters as they are very energetic buns - size means nothing!! I'd go to a rescue and go for temperment probably rather than looks. ( I know I know!! Grumpy bunnies need homes too but I am not gifted in dealing with growling grumpy bunnies!! ):oops:

I think it is part of human nature to pik out an animal that looks the nicest to us especially when we're not sure what its character is like. We're always going to have a preference for a nice looking bunny (whatever that happens to be).

Neither of my rabbits were chosen based on looks though as Roly was given to me while Honey was the first female bunny that came up for adoption that was about the same size and age as him. I wanted him to have a friend ASAP so I went and got her without really caring what she looked like. I do feel a little uncomfortable when people are looking for a specific breed and won't consider anything else.

I do like black and agouti rabbits and would probably lean towards one or both in the future knowing how hard it is for rescues to rehome them. :(

I picked Charlie coz he was a cute mini fluffster

I'm not overly fussy on breed/colour, ect, but I would lean towards a bunny I found cute

I don't think it is wrong to want a particular breed/colour etc. I wasn't looking for a particular breed when I got Hayden and Dudley but when I saw their photos they made me smile, and OMG were they much more beautiful in the fur :love::love:
I admit Lucy isn't the breed/colour I would have chosen but she is a beautiful bun and is such a sweetheart and I love her just the same.
I have got a soft spot for lionheads now but I would also love to own a frenchie or giant one day :love::love::love:
ETA Having Lucy has opened my eyes though that looks are not everything and next time I rescue a bun I won't choose them just because of looks. In fact, I would probably want to go to a rescue and look at them all and meet them before making a decision. It is difficult though when all the in need rabbits are on here and some just make your heart melt :love:

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I do love all bunnies don't get me wrong, but I LOVE uppy-eared decent sized bunnies :love: especially black/fawn/orange/white colours, and I adore belgian hares :love: and giants, but it seems all rabbits can win my heart, I never thought I'd take to nethies/lionheads/lops, but I'm getting very fond of all the lovely buns on here, and a few months ago an insanely happy binkying lionhead called Bubbles in P@H adoption center stole me and my bf's heart :lol: to this day I hope she got a good home, she had snuffles and was sneezing like mad.

So yeah, I have my preferences in looks, but the deciding factor for me is personality, those cute looks are decieving anyway, they think of themselves as mighty warriors :roll: (at least mine do 0_0)

My favourite bunny would be a blue or Isabella French lop, I have had a blue Frenchie :love: I also love agouti lops, of which I've had 2, but my two now are bog standard patchy lops and I love them :)

I chose Milly and Molly on looks. I didn't want a lop, but after that, I wasn't that fussy. But when I saw them on the rescue site, a litter of mini rexes, I had to have them. And when i got there to see them, there was only two females left out of the litter, and they both happened to be spotted, and different colour spotted too. If I could have chosen them, then I would have picked them anyway as I love spotted animals.

If I was looking for an adult rabbit to bond, I would let my rabbit choose who she wanted to bond too, but if I was looking for a pair of baby rabbits, then I would choose on colour and looks, because it's hard to choose on temperament when they are young.

I chose Bunski from P@H based on his looks. He was a right cutie! I think that a rescue should let you choose based on looks if it is a first bunny, or there are a few that your bunny liked.

I am very shallow and had always wanted a Harlequin dwarf lop.

I didn't go looking for a rabbit that day in Pets at Home, but Louie was there and the rest is history.

I have seen on some rescue websites, that if you care about the colour and looks of the rabbit you want, you will not be allowed to adopt from them. Some think you shouldn't have a rabbit if you care about colour and looks.

What do you think? They reason I chose Islay & Jura as because Islay was black and white patchy, which is what I had wanted for a long time, and Jura just happened to come with her as they were bonded.

Where have you seen that? I've never ever heard something like that before. I doubt many rescues say that and you should be careful not to spread it around as it may seem as yet another negative against rescues.

I've heard some say it's sad that the uglier buns get overlooked, but never that they'd wouldn't let you adopt on looks. Maybe what they meant is that they will match you with a rabbit suitable for you, your lifestyle and family? Which is of course important.

Back